The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

My dog has accidentally hurt another dog, advice needed!

Tiernie

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi all,

Looking for some help or advice really from anyone who may have been in a similar situation. Whilst out on a walk in a public space with my dogs, my ten year old Staffordshire bull terrier has run up to another smaller dog to play but managed to run straight into it dislocating the other dogs knee (which I haven’t seen myself as the woman picked it up and walked off), after putting my dogs in the car, I go to find the owner of the small Bichone Frise type dog to find out if it’s ok and if there’s anything I can do. I subsequently get sworn at incessantly and told I will be paying a £4000 vet bill for the surgery. The woman is understandably upset and her partner sends her and the dog away and explains their dog has a laminated patella and it’s a £4000 surgery but they have decided to treat it with physiotherapy instead. I give him my details and apologise and that’s where it’s been left. My own dog isn’t insured as my ex husband cancelled it without informing me and I only realised this after taking her to the vets to have a tumor removed and trying to claim off of it. I can only assume their dog is uninsured also as they have opted out of having the surgery their dog needs. I’m yet to hear anything from the owners but am I really likely to have to pay a £4000 vet bill for my dog running into their dog with a pre diagnosed medical condition they’ve chosen not to treat?
I’d feel as though it would fair to pay towards some of the cost potentially?

Before you part with any money at all you require a copy of the dated vets report and costs involved and if 'they decide' not to proceed with the vets recommendations you need a dated copy of the registered physiotherapists report....... not sure how they knew all this information and costs when it had just happened ....

And get at least third party insurance for your dog. It isn't expensive and it covers incidents like this (for future ones, this one won't be covered).

Important to know that if you DO part with money over this, it must not be the full sum as that admits liability in law (whether or not you are liable is another matter) so it should be traceable (not cash) and accompanied by a letter (keep a copy) that states although you are not liable for the accident, you are offering this as a goodwill gesture.

If they want the full sum they will have to take this to the small claims court, which is a long procedure and will cost them quite a lot, so they may simply be sabre-rattling at this point.

You may have 3rd party cover on your house insurance, always supposing your husband hasn't cancelled that as well.

I would strongly suggest you consult Trevor Cooper. I've been to several of his talks, and he is ace.

For the future, never again let your dog run up to another "to play". It isn't welcome, and as you have now learned, other dogs can be vulnerable.

Thank you all for your replies,
I actually had the owner of the dog come by today whilst walking their dog and tell me it wasn’t as bad as they initially thought and apologise for their reaction to the situation, I’m in the process of making a hamper up for their dog.
The laminated patella was an issue the dog already had and it slips out of joint easily.
I appreciate not all dogs want to play and when called my dog came back immediately, this wasn’t a case of my dog being out of control, running miles off a lead and ploughing down a smaller animal she bounded about 3ft from my side and bumped into the other dog who happened to be on a lead but no sign of any colour coding to suggest it needed space. My dog is old and a little clumsy and this imo was a one off freak accident, not an aggressive out of control Staffie that shouldn’t be allowed to approach other dogs to play

As Hemlock suggests, check your household insurance for third party liability. I did check ours when we took on our rescue and it was informed that such was automatically covered. Best of luck.

It's good news that the other dog is OK, Tierne - and respect to the owners for apologising for their reaction :)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back