The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

My Dog Has Had A Stroke ! Advice Needed Please

Mickey

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I have just had a phone call from the Quarantine Centre telling me that Cookie, our youger Lhasa Apso has had a stroke. The lady said that he wasn't looking too well yesterday so called in a vet who informed her that he had had the stroke.

She says that he appears a little better today but seems to have lost use of his left hand side.

I have never heard of this before in dogs, and have been looking around the net for more information.

Has anyone on here had any experience of this before ?

Any help / information would be greatly appreciated.

For those who may be wondering why my dogs are in quarantine, please Click Here for more information.

Thanks in advance

Mickey

Dogs are not usually afflicted by 'strokes', per se, as humans are. The usual illness that dogs suffer from that people say are strokes is Vestibular Disease. See the link below. I think most Vets will treat this with steroids but a colleague of mine recently suffered from the same problem and one of our A&E consultants gave her Stugeron (a travel sickness remedy) to take which effectively controlled it!!! I don't know whether this could be used to the same effect on dogs having never actually tried it!

Vestibular Syndrome

I am afraid to don't have any advice, just want to give my good wishes for his recovery :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: .

What a terrible time you seem to have had and then to have this happen on top- how awful for you :( .

Also there have been quite a lot of people on here who's dogs have had 'strokes' and they all seem to recover quite well.

:luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck:

dessie said:
Dogs are not usually afflicted by 'strokes', per se, as humans are.  The usual illness that dogs suffer from that people say are strokes is Vestibular Disease.  See the link below.  I think most Vets will treat this with steroids but a colleague of mine recently suffered from the same problem and one of our A&E consultants gave her Stugeron (a travel sickness remedy) to take which effectively controlled it!!!  I don't know whether this could be used to the same effect on dogs having never actually tried it!
Vestibular Syndrome

Yes, vestibular syndrome is the proper name, although it is often referred to as a 'stroke' because the symptoms are similar and it is something most humans have experience some or understanding of. Haven't looked at the link yet ... sorry.

Corticosteroids are said to help if given early enough, and I have sometimes prescribed metoclopramide (an anti-emetic to suppress nausea) when I think the dog is feeling sick. I imagine the Stugeron is for similar reasons. Not all stroke dogs have nausea, but some definitely do - it's just like travel sickness, with the brain getting mixed messages! A lot of dogs who have suffered from this will benefit from tablets known as Vivitonin - these are designed for older dogs and help to get the blood to where it's needed.

The majority of dogs make a good recovery from these episodes - sometimes a head-tilt is left, although most will cope with this no problems. It's usually dogs with other mobility problems which struggle most. :luck:

Hi guys,

I am encouraged by the responses and hopefully he will be OK.

I really was fearing the worst earlier in the day, which I think is compounded by the fact that he is not at home where we can take care of him.

Thanks for your support

Mickey

I had a old whippet 10yrs old who was heathly for her age and got up one morning to find her lying down in the kennel couldnt get up i carried her in she could not walk her neck was twisted right round and she was sick. i phoned the vets as this was 5.30am they said to put her in a cage and keep her quite as there is nothing you can do and to take her to the vets when open. By the time came to take her to the vets she was like a different dog barking and wagging her tail the vet still looked at her and said the use would come back in her right back leg which it did i also asked if it would help by giving her asprin like humans but they said it was not the same as human strokes she did recover for another year but i think age against her she had another and i have to be truthful i could put the dog or myself threw it again and had her put to sleep

My little terrier cross had a stroke about 2 months ago, she`s made a 99% recovery, click on the link it just might help with what medication to use.

Lucy story

Hugs from us

Alyson 'n' Hounds

Sorry I don't have any advice just wanted to send lots of :luck: :luck: and :huggles: :huggles: to cookie. Hope they are all out of Quarentine soon. I read your sad story and am so glad they managed to be saved.

Sorry no advice here either :( just lots of well wishes for you and your family :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck:

ILoveKettleChips said:
and I have sometimes prescribed metoclopramide (an anti-emetic to suppress nausea) when I think the dog is feeling sick. 
Just wondered ILKC if you have had any dogs having a bad reaction to metoclopramide or Emequell. I have had 3 whippets, all related (Grandmother, and two grandaughters) all have had a bad reaction to the drug. They would stand dead still, as if they couldn't move, and look as though they could see something very frightening - and then jump up into my arms and grip on to me like their life depended on it. Two of them, (normally very placid) went for the other dogs too, and I mean went for them!! It was almost as if they were possessed :eek:

The vets I worked for used it routinely, and I didn't come across any other dogs that had a problem. As all mine were related, I suppose it was a familial thing?

Interesting though, as the drug does affect the brain I believe.

No idea what that was all about, I don't use it all that frequently but never had any problems whatsoever. Will bear what you've said in mind ... did the vet report the cases as SARs (suspected adverse reactions)? :unsure:

My girl Mayzee ( 13 yrs old ) had a stroke last October , and was diagnosed with Ves ublar syndrome ,and although her recovery wasnt instant she now looks 100 % , So fingers croosed for you dog too :luck:

ILoveKettleChips said:
No idea what that was all about, I don't use it all that frequently but never had any problems whatsoever.  Will bear what you've said in mind ... did the vet report the cases as SARs (suspected adverse reactions)?  :unsure:
No they didn't report it, but I only twigged what was happening after the third dog had it, and then tried to savage one of the others as soon as we returned from the surgery. By then I had moved to Hereford.

Strangely enough, I'd put the standing dead still looking frightened, and then leaping up to me and clinging on, as signs of pain. The first two dogs both had liver problems, first one liver tumour, and the second Supperative Cholangiohepatitis, and so I thought it was a symptom of their conditions. It was only when the third dog had a bout of diarrhoea and sickness, and the vet gave metaclopromide, that I connected their changes in behaviour.

Sadly, I only have one of those 3 whippets now, and the others we have are not related, but it has made me worried about ever giving it again. The effect only lasted a few hours, so I suppose now I know what to look out for, and it did stop them being sick, I should still give it if necessary.

The only lasting bad effect to come out of it was after the last whippet had it, and then attacked one of the others, they then became enemies, and I've had to pull them apart on a few more occasions. Since I've had the little one spayed, they have now become quite good friends again. Bitches eh!!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back