The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

my dog not showing prove she can protect her self when the need comes

Discussion in 'General Dog Forum' started by TEDD, Mar 31, 2021.

1. TEDD

TEDD New Member Registered

I have noticed that anytime I go out on walks with my dog coco and we meet aggressive street dogs the only thing she does is stand her grounds and raise her tail high but doesn't attack or show any form of aggressive stunts even if I give her the attack command. I am worried cause she could be bitten by one of these street dogs if she doesn't act aggressive to turn them away. Usually when we are on walks and I see street dogs i give her the attack command and she chase after them and more often they run off even if they are more than two. some of this dogs stands the ground with an aggressive look that shows they want to bite but coco will go nearer to them but won't attack or show any form of aggressiveness but rather raise her tail high. I want her to be able to scare them away with an aggressive stunt or something because she could be bitten if she does not. I want to know if it is fear or what. She will be 8 months in 5 days time. should I be worried cause I can tell the problem is how to bite after a chase

2. JudyN

JudyN Moderator Moderator Registered

If a child in the playground stared at your child, would you want your child - while with you - to go up and attack them? Even if you know the other child carries a knife? I hope not. You are your dog's carer and protector - it is your job to protect her, which you do best by getting the hell out of the situation. Turn and walk away from the street dog. If you encourage your dog to attack then she's likely to end up being badly hurt or worse, which I'm sure isn't what you want.

This post is likely to raise strong feelings in UK/US forum members. Please all, if replying, remember that the culture and expectations in other countries can be very different.

Ragsysmum, Biker John, RGC and 2 others like this.
  3. TEDD

I meant to say if they run after her wanting to bite and sometime they come in numbers (6 or more), to me I want her to show an aggressive stunt to scare them away and yes the culture here is different as compared to the US/UK

4. JudyN

Could you turn to face them yourself, stand tall and give them a firm verbal warning yourself? Maybe raising a stick to intimidate them? (You'd have to judge whether this was likely to work, or make them more likely to attack.)

You might find that this in itself gives her enough confidence to back up your threat by barking herself, because she's now supporting someone she sees as her leader, rather than having to be the leader/protector herself. But in the UK at least, aggressive stray dogs are very rare, so it's a situation I don't have any experience of.

5. TEDD

they aren't necessarily stray dogs but dogs with owners who doesn't have a fence, so the dogs normally gather on the streets more often.

6. Hemlock

Hemlock Well-Known Member Registered

Is there rabies in your country? If so, you really don't want your dog to bite or be bitten. It's much better to teach her to go to the far side of you and let you deal with the stray dogs. And at 8 months, she's very much a pup, so your job to protect her.

I don't know what's legal in your country, but you might consider using a spray. You can get carbon dioxide sprays which are harmless but noisy, and produce a grey cloud, which sees off most dogs.

7. malwhit

malwhit New Member Registered

She probably knows she would stand no chance against a group of dogs if she acted aggressively. Why would you want your dog to get involved in a fight and injured or worse?

Why have you trained her an attack command?

8. TEDD

I don’t want her involved in a fight but I want her to protect her self

9. TEDD

Anytime she is being confronted I face them and she follows me but she does nothing

10. Hemlock

Sounds like a sensible dog. And she's saving you a lot of money in vet bills.

Liamvv, Zula77, Biker John and 2 others like this.
  11. TEDD

Hehe she is sensible though but I want her to be more aggressive and assertive as well

12. Liamvv

Liamvv New Member Registered

You don't want her to be more aggressive. In the dog world aggression is a dangerous thing, it means they get injured and no animal wants that. most dogs will avoid a fight if they can using body language and as every sensible person knows "avoiding a fight is better than trying to win one".
    If your dog got attacked she would defend herself, but as her owner, carer, and parent then you should do everything in your power to protect her from situations where she gets attacked. Take a route with fewer aggressive dogs, carry a stick to defend yourselves, maybe even pepper spray if its legal where you are and you know how to use it.

13. TEDD

Thanks for the info but imagine you been attacked at home and your dog is the only one who can save you and it can’t, simply because it’s scared or can’t bite. You give her the attack command, she barks but can’t bite. Then what will be the use of owning a dog.

14. JoanneF

JoanneF Well-Known Member Registered

I read this recently. I know it doesn't quite fit your question but thought it had some relevant points.

A protection dog needs to be completely balanced in the head and confident. Not dog aggressive and certainly not people aggressive. Dog aggression and human aggression usually means the dog is unstable.

If the traits are genetic (and some dogs are genetically intolerant of people, other dogs etc) you cannot train them to be reliably non-aggressive.

Dogs that bark and carry on with their hackles up are are in full defense. Reactive dogs are often thought to be aggressive or protective. They are neither. They are SCARED and so they get all big and tough looking to try to make the threat go away.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021 at 8:38 AM
  15. Hemlock

She's 8 months old. She's the equivalent of a 4 year old child.

JoanneF likes this.
  16. JudyN

If you only want a dog to keep you safe, then you have the wrong dog, and can no more train it to attack and bite than you could train a tiger to be friendly and safe around people.

Biker John and JoanneF like this.
  17. Liamvv

Liamvv New Member Registered

You said street dogs, not that you wanted her to be a protection dog in your home.
    If you want your dog to be a reliable protection dog then the first step is to take it to a reliable protection dog trainer in your area. even then a protection dog that is stable requires good breeding, tailored raising that is different to that of a pet dog, and a lot of training.

Be happy with the dog you have, instead of wishing for her to change to suit you.

JudyN and Biker John like this.