The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

My Dog Suffering From Ear Flapping

BobG

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
My dog of 13 years old has been suffering from constant irritation within both ears over the pass 4 years. My wife and l have constantly been visiting Vets over that time and nothing has worked. l paid out approx. a thousand pounds so far from the Vets treatment with creams lotions etc, nothing came of it. One of the Vets did look into the ear canal and said it was clear. There are not mites and no ticks.

The problem l face is. l have no car and l am disabled which makes me unable to walk to the Vets now. Even taxis wouldn't have a dog in their car. And even if l was up to walking the dog to the Vet. My dog is not capable of walking all that distance now, due to her age. She has weaknesses to her back legs as well.

What l want to know is. Anyone on here that can direct me to the right kind of remedy for my dog would be of great importance to me.  She was up all night rubbing her ears until the inner ear was red raw. l feel for her suffering and wish l could be of  use to her. l bought some bacterial ear drops on amazon and cleaning lotion as well. lt seem to have made the situation worse, not better. Even though this stuff gave it a good write up.

l am desperate. Can someone please help me. Especially for the sake of my dog.

This is my dog,aged just 7 at that time abroad. My wife and l rescued her from serious abuse.
13886456_10210087412290595_1998270790890145379_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If the vet has cleared her for anything medical, what about one of the anti itching creams like you can buy from Boots. The advantage at least of it being on her ears is that you don't need to worry about her licking it.

I'm afraid I am one of those people who is passionate about our dogs diets, my passion is raw feeding. I have fed raw products for to my dogs for 40 years.

Natural raw meat products can help so many health issues, even after many vets may have said there is no apparent  problem. 

Raw feeding can help with; a persistent itch, eczema, dental problems, smelly breath, smelly skin/coat, inhalant allergies, colitis, lethargy, a dull and scurfy coat, kidney disease,  or rheumatoid arthritis- to name but a few.

Weight control in an older dog is much easier, (just don't over feed). A light weight oldie is a more active dog.

Could you consider trying this for a white. often results are very quick, sometimes you have to wait a little longer.

This feeding method could help you a lot and be a lot cheaper in the long run by avoiding vet visits. Unfortunately you will have to be prepared to try it first.

Pets at home have freezers with good selections of raw products for beginners. Variety is essential, but anyone can do it !!

There is a fantastic little book to help with the raw feeding method and it can be purchased from Amazon for 1p, "Honey's Natural Feeding Handbook for Dogs". OR register on the "Honeys" website where you can order a FREE book. (you will get no further emails of sales from this site).

Best Wishes.

Could be dietary or could be an environmental allergy. If you are not able to go to big pet store to try the raw diet then why not just try chicken wings to start with? Just give them raw (never cooked bones). I knew a vet, once, that just fed, and recommended, raw chicken wings. Just be aware that a dietary allergy could involve chicken so if it continues you could try another raw meat or fish. Our chip shop sells fish off cuts for pets.

Dogs can also be allergic to anything in the environment. House dust mites are quite common, also the shake and vac type products, grass, pollen etc etc etc. For this you could try Piriton. I would imagine your vet may have tried this line of treatment though?

What does the vet think is causing it? If you tell us the name of the drugs then it may give an idea of what the vet's diagnosis is. Maybe the drug needs to continue for longer?

Thank you all for the valuable information. l will look into this. But, the trouble is, my dog is very fussy eater. She only likes meat that is cooked. Yes!, we do spoil her with good quality foods which would be fit for a king. But, she does deserve such luxuries.

Here is the name of the ear drops my wife and l were using on her. "Collodal Silver" and does not work. we also used the cleaning Collodal Silver for the ears as well, and that did not work. And the trouble we face. My dog seems to know when we are about to do her ears. And then she just disappears behind the sofa. She is such a problem. Why can't she be like normal dogs. Just take it sitting down while the master is attending to the dogs needs.

Cooking your dogs food could be your problem, very similar to overcooked processed kibbles.  I still believe it is better cooked than using a grain based kibble though.

Cooking food alters the goodness benefits of a raw product.

We should not feed our dogs what they want or like but they should eat what they are given!

Do try to introduce some raw product, a raw chicken wing each day would be very beneficial and healthy for her as part of her daily rations.

If you do not try the suggestions you may never know if they are going to work ! For the sake of your little dog why not give it a try. :clown:

Last edited by a moderator:
It surprises me that the vet is using Colloidal Silver. Most vets reach for the antibiotics first. Sometimes a swab needs to be taken of the ear canal so that the particular bug responsible for the inflammation can be identified and treated with the correct drug. I know it is a nuisance but a return to the vet might be necessary to get on top of this distressing condition. If you take a deep breath and decide to try a good quality diet and let the vet try other remedies until you finally have the condition under control then I am sure you will feel much happier and your dog will thank you for all your dedication.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back