The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

My Friend's Dog Passed Away...We Were Really Close So I Made a Tribute Video to Kai

wub1234

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
My friend's Staffie, Kai, passed away this week. I have spent a lot of time with him over the years, but I didn't realise how much he meant to me until I started digging up some old pictures for my friend.

There is a backstory here. When I first met my friend, we were dating, and I knew before I met her that she had two dogs. At that time, I was nervous of dogs. It seems ridiculous now, as I have changed so much. But when I was two years-old, I put my hand out to pet a dog, and it bit me. I can't remember this, but it must have had a big psychological impact on me.

I wanted to have the experience of being around dogs, and Kai and Keiko changed me as much as anything that has ever happened to me. I gradually became less nervous. I began to embrace them.

Then something unexpected happened. I had already bonded with Kai, but I began to really bond with my friend's second dog, Keiko. She just took a liking to me. When my friend came to visit me, she wouldn't go anywhere without me. She didn't want to leave me.

Eventually, it was decided that Keiko would come to live with me, and she's been with me for seven years now. My friend comes to visit her regularly, and I've looked after Kai a lot as well.

I knew Kai was old, and initially I was quite calm about his passing. But yesterday I realised how much I loved him, and I sobbed and sobbed. I couldn't stop crying for hours. I'm still crying now. I reflected back on all the happy times that we'd spent together. I can't believe he's not going to be here any more. I will miss him so much. It hurts as much as the loss of any person. I make no distinction between the two.

Anyway, I made this video tribute to Kai:

He is the darker Staffie, my dog Keiko is the bigger and lighter-coloured one. When I made this video, everything came flooding back to me. All the time we'd spent together, all four of us, what Kai meant to me, how much Kai loved Keiko. Everything.

I don't know why, but it would mean a lot to me if people watched it.

I also wanted to remind people to appreciate your loves every day that they're here. Remember to take loads of pictures and capture video of them. It does help a little bit when they're gone. Even though it's sad, it's a kind of happy sad where you recall all the places you've been and moments that you've shared with them. Treasure every one of those moments.

That is so sweet and moving. Dogs touch our hearts and chance our lives - and we can't imagine the impact of losing a loved dog until it happens. Many of us here have experienced this, so know how you are feeling.

That is so sweet and moving. Dogs touch our hearts and chance our lives - and we can't imagine the impact of losing a loved dog until it happens. Many of us here have experienced this, so know how you are feeling.
Thank you. We have to remember, and I do remember, that the positives far outweigh the negatives. You can't have the light in life without the dark.

The good thing that has come out of this is that I've realised that I need to get another dog to keep Keiko company, so I'm excited about that.

I would see how Keiko gets on first, and give her time to accept that Kai is gone. Many, if not most, dogs actually prefer to be the only dog in a household so they don't have to share their owner and their 'resources'. Asking your dog to accept another dog in the household can be like telling your spouse that as you love them so much, you're going to get another partner to keep them company. There are exceptions though.

I would see how Keiko gets on first, and give her time to accept that Kai is gone. Many, if not most, dogs actually prefer to be the only dog in a household so they don't have to share their owner and their 'resources'. Asking your dog to accept another dog in the household can be like telling your spouse that as you love them so much, you're going to get another partner to keep them company. There are exceptions though.
You're absolutely right, but Keiko has always been very sociable with other dogs, she loves to play with them, and bonded very well with Kai. I am hopeful that it would work well if integrated properly.

What a lovely video and tribute. I now have tears streaming down my facing wondering what I would do if anything happened to Freddie. He is my world!

What a lovely video and tribute. I now have tears streaming down my facing wondering what I would do if anything happened to Freddie. He is my world!
Thank you for taking the time to watch it. That really means a lot to me.

All you can do is be there for Freddie, make his life as happy as possible, and treasure every moment. Every day with these amazing friends is a gift.

That is beautiful, could just about watch it through the tears... I always say with great love comes great pain but I don't think any of us would change that... a lovely tribute and I very am sorry for your loss

That is beautiful, could just about watch it through the tears... I always say with great love comes great pain but I don't think any of us would change that... a lovely tribute and I very am sorry for your loss
Thank you for the kind words and taking the time to watch the video. It really means a lot to me. I'm sorry that I made you cry, but I'm glad that I touched you!

Ah don't worry, I said goodbye to one of my ferrets very recently, so the tears came easy... though to be honest even without my own loss I would of still needed a tissue!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back