The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

My old boy

Laura Morris

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hello,
Looking for advice about my old boy, he's a delightful terrier who is 19, he's selectively deaf and blind. He growls at me when I stroke him because he can't see me anymore. He eats, drinks and goes into the garden but looks sad. He has no pain.
Am I selfishingly keeping him in my world?
I'd hate to think he's frightened trapped in an unknown world.
Any advice would be much appreciated
Laura x

It's so sad when our dogs get older....
Could he be in pain and that's why he growls when you stroke him ...
For me it's all about quality of life and if you are questioning his quality then I think in your heart you know the answer ....
Letting our dogs go with dignity is the most selfless thing we can do for them ....
Lots of hugs to you xxxxx

It’s a horrible call which only you can make and I’m sure that any caring pet owner would feel for you. My attitude (for what it’s worth) is that these mites give so much more than they get - ours have all been rescues - and we’re morally bound to let them go. It’s heartbreaking but it’s part of the bargain. As I’ve said, this is my subjective view and not all may agree.

Is he always sad, or does he have happy moments? And do you know there's no pain? It might be worth having a chat with your vet - they may recommend trying a painkiller just to see if it makes any difference to his behaviour.

He's definitely not in any pain, he has an MOT at the vets 3 weeks ago.
He does have happy times too but I worry he's scared and confused.
I feel selfish and sad x

I am so sorry you are facing this. There is a scale used to assess our pets' quality of life when they are seriously ill. I understand it was developed for cancer care but the principles apply to any life limiting condition. What is their quality of life in relation to Hurt, Hunger, Hydration, Hygiene, Happiness, Mobility and More good days than bad days. You can find more detail here

https://pawspice.com/q-of-l-care/new-page.html

There is a saying, better a week too soon than a day too late. It's a terrible decision but one that responsible owners have to face. If it helps, the Blue Cross has a pet bereavement counselling service.

Reactions: RGC
Thank you so much for your advice and kind words.
Teddylove never ceases to amaze me.
This morning he decided he wanted a walk. He even played with his doggie friends x

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210220_123359_com.facebook.orca.jpg
    Screenshot_20210220_123359_com.facebook.orca.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 151
Aw, he's lovely :) Never think that you are being selfish - you are making the most difficult, yet the most important decision for your dog. I'm glad he enjoyed his walk this morning.

I can only echo what others have said already, it is the toughest decision to make and one we all dread when it approaches, my heart goes out to you... trust your instincts, you know your little man and remember the decision, when it comes, is made out of your love and respect for him.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back