The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

My Romanian Rescue Dogl

Debsy1949

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
So..... I have exactly one week to go until my little Bree arrives. Very excited, slightly nervous. She has been living in foster care so has some idea of domestic life. I guess there will still be challenges. Has anyone else undertaken adoption from Romania and if so, how it has worked out.

I *think* at least 2 forum-members have had / currently have Romanian rescues -
@gypsysmum2 & @Raven oaktree

hopefully, they'll see this thread & pop in. :)
Meanwhile, I'd look here, just in case the dog who arrives is a bit timid -
Fearfuldogs' Blog

that will give U a head-start to avoid "flooding" - putting the dog into circs or settings where s/he is overwhelmed, & shuts-down or panics. Flooding is bad - U always want to stay within the limits of the dog's ability to cope; sadly, some dogs must be pushed "in over their heads" at least briefly in order to transport them, treat an injury, or do other time-critical, necessary things.
But in day-to-day living, always try to gradually expose a dog to new sights, sounds, events, & settings, for very brief times, & make each encounter happy -- wait a few minutes to a few hours or even days, & repeat the exercise, getting closer / staying longer, only as the dog gains confidence in that situation. :)

- terry

Welcome to the forum. I've adopted a rescue dog from Croatia, so not a million miles away. He's the most loving, chilled and well-behaved dog in the home, until he sees:
  • Other dogs out-and-about (although he's a lot better).
  • Cats.
  • Birds.
  • Anything that can be mistaken for cats and birds!
Good luck with it, post up some pictures when you can and keep us all posted!

So..... I have exactly one week to go until my little Bree arrives. Very excited, slightly nervous. She has been living in foster care so has some idea of domestic life. I guess there will still be challenges. Has anyone else undertaken adoption from Romania and if so, how it has worked out.

Not directly but Harri's best friend Bella is a recent Romanian rescue. We know nothing at all about her background.

She arrived very stressed and nervous straight from her journey across Europe and refused to come out of her crate for the first 12 or so hours. That was fine. My friend left her food and water within easy reach and let her take her time. Once she did decide to come out she was lovely but very scared of any new experiences. She would sit and shake with terror in the car for example. We found joint experiences with Harri helped a lot. He's a confident friendly little thing and his example showed her that farm gates really weren't scary nor were car rides etc and she settled in and her confidence reasserted itself very quickly. She is a bit clingy with her new "mum" and quite possessive of her but she's spent a night here with me recently and she was fine after the first few minutes so her confidence is still growing - as is her determination to rid the UK of squirrels.....

QUOTE, Caro Perry:

...her confidence is still growing - as is her determination to rid the UK of squirrels...

Hey, teach her to limit her predation to GREY squirrels, & she can have a FT-job as a conservation-k9.
:) I think she has a calling!
Plus, think of all that lovely squirrel pie, pan-sauteed squirrel, squirrel-fur blankets, squirrel trim for a coat or sweater, squirrel stoles & scarves, a squirrel lining for a cape, & U can donate the carcasses to raptor rehab, when U get bored with eating grey-squirrels. ;)
Everybody benefits!

- terry

I've a friend with a couple of Rommies. One, sadly, will never get over his previous experiences - he'd never known anything but the streets - but the other is now a lovely little girl, if rather timid.

For my friend, the most important thing was to give her time. For the first few days she wouldn't come out of her crate if anyone was in the room, and would only come out to eat at night. My friend pretty much ignored her until she was ready to begin trusting. It did take a long time before she was anything approaching 'normal', but she got there.

my weekend-client's granddog is a former street-feral, & he's never going to stop foraging & scavenging - U can't leave him at large in the house, doors need to be closed to keep him from tipping trashbins, the kitchen cupboards below the counter with food or a trashbin behind them are latched with child-proof locks when he visits, & so on.

But he's delightfully fun, active, playful, & warms-up to ppl fairly quickly - he's cautious on 1st meetings, & he will shadow a new acquaintance relentlessly in the hope that the stranger will drop food. :rolleyes: In my case, b/c i was a part-time caregiver [weekends], it took over 3-weeks for him to stop following me, incessantly watching for dropped tidbits. :p

Using tidbits & a clicker, I easily taught him to put his own head into an insulated waterproof jacket, as he's not only very lean, he has a slick-smooth, hound-like coat, with minimal insulation; mostly it only protects him from sunburn & thorns.
The cold weather here, & esp'ly the cold rains, bother him - when it's raining, he doesn't want to go outside, 'cuz he grew-up on the streets of a warm tropical island, & COLD rain is abnormal [of course, so is snow].

He was brought to the USA by a rescue-org, & adopted by their dotter / SiL. He's a great little dog, despite his quirks. :)

- terry

Aw good luck and what a wonderful thing you are doing!

I know a lady who has rescued a few Romanian dogs. One of them is now her granddaughters and he only has half a tail and he’s had his ears cut off (not the whole lot)

Another was a very sweet girl who she said never made a single noise - unfortunately she died suddenly.

Her newest member is another sweet girl who goes out for walks with her and her other dogs. She said she’s settled in well, just very timid.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back