The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

My Version Of A Working Whippet

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Well, I hope the people who had posts removed and warns sent etc before the thread had to be closed read this thread - then they might see how the rest of the members view their fighting.

If someone makes a personal attack then its far better to just report their post than respond in a like manner that means you've broken the posting rules too.

tdavepat said:
This is how the original thread should have been.  A celebration of the breed and its verstility in the show ring and the field.  We are all associated with the best dogs on the planet, should it be showing off its beautiful lines for everyone to gasp and admire, or racing them at blinding speeds around a course, or training them to emulate their ancestors, in doing so also helping to check the pest population. The list is endless.
We all have the best dogs at home and are collectively showing the world how good we are at bringing our dogs to their peak.  Rejoice in each others attempts and give respect for the effort and patience it takes to get our dogs there. Sometimes it is an effort !!

Well done Keith.

Thats how it is done on the other forums - it`s just a shame that there are individuals on here that always have that superior attitude and attack anything that is not to their liking . I have my own opinions on working strains , and some strains do work consistently better than others, that is what they were bred to do. At the end of the day it`s whatever floats your boat , one mans meat is another mans poison , but to just criticise other peoples ideas and efforts on a public forum, is , well here we go again :- " :- " :- " :- " :- "

Last edited by a moderator:
Then note the second half of my last post please Nigel.

well said keith agree with you totally .we have a show bred and he will go all day .he doesnt know when to stop thought about changing his name to duracell.he keeps going when my coursing /working bred stop.good luck with jills coming motherhood :cheers:

controversial said:
well said keith agree with you totally .we have a show bred and he will go all day .he doesnt know when to stop thought about changing his name to duracell.he keeps going when my coursing /working bred stop.good luck with jills coming motherhood :cheers:
What type of work do you do with show bred? Daytime rabbiting or lamping?

hi nigel ,dont work mine to busy dont have the time,work commitments etc .let mine free run on moors [no livestock on them] woods if they catch something they usally bring it back.just agreeing with keiths stamina statement. :cheers:

controversial said:
hi nigel ,dont work mine to busy dont have the time,work commitments etc .let mine free run on moors [no  livestock on them] woods if they catch something they usally bring it back.just agreeing with keiths stamina statement. :cheers:
hi , what do you do with these catches your dogs get while running free on the moors. i could do with this location myself because land to run your dogs loose, as well as casually catch game is getting harder to find by the minute. i would personally check if you are keeping within the law on this land you walk on because even hunting rat and rabbit requires written consent by the landowner :thumbsup:

midlanderkeith said:
Was some discussion the other day, about the broughton working whippet show, but the topic has been closed cos of some uncalled for remarks, my name was mentioned, in a nice way may i add about my show bred whippet picking up rabbitsNow then in the topic a certain person, whom i respect in the working world, stated theres a subtle difference between a show bred whippet and a working whippet, mmmm, ok here goes the truth about my show bred whippet, first of all her nose, she misses nowt, stamina, will run till she drops, retrieve, to my hand, will plow through fire in pursuit of her legal quarry, as for the weather, she couldnt give a monkies, the only fault i find in her is in the chase, the twisting and turning lets her down, but its a joy to watch, she gives 100% in the field, am i happy with that, you bet i am.

Here is a pic of many i have of her in the field, im sure you will agree with me she is one hell of a whippet, doin exactly what it says in the book, born to work, by the way in the pic, yes she had the option of going around the water, thing is she's a tough little bugger, not bad for a show bred eh, owned and trained by a dedicated to the end working guy, me.

Nice 1 keith jill certainly seems to get her fair share of rabbits. Your a credit to the breed :thumbsup:

Wow !! This is all fascinating stuff!

Any way I can get to read this closed thread you're all talking about or has it gone forever?? :D

Could this be taken a step further, eg a show whippet that can work and race??

Nubian said:
Any whippet can be shown, raced, lurecoursed, and also worked if the owner has the time and energy and funds to follow all these pursuits. Whether a dog can win consistently in more than one activity is quite a different issue.

Nubian said:
Wow !! This is all fascinating stuff!
Any way I can get to read this closed thread you're all talking about or has it gone forever?? :D

That would be the ultimate whippet

But that has so far eluded even the most devoted breeder

At least to have a champion at both

Many owners do both or do exceptionally well at one and ok at the other

I THINK!!!!

Please correct me if Im wrong

We race and lure course with ours because it involves the whole family

I dont think our 2 would do well at showing as they are small working bred whippets

Resized_DSC01155.jpg

I think it depends on the judge at the time though :thumbsup:

But ours are only 18/19'' tall and 23lb perfect racing sizes :wub: :wub:

BTW they work regularly too but many showers wont work or race because of injury

Also some breeders have many dogs some that race some that course and some show all in their best discipline :thumbsup:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back