Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3. Not bothered either way.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

John

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Please give your views so that the committee can have some idea how the racers with internet access feel.

sandpit for me it saves a lot of knocked up toes and sore stoppers :thumbsup:

i personally prefer a grass finish myself my dogs are trained with grass finishes and dont c a sand pit finish until we travel. i think it can put a lot of dogs off. whisper whizz doesnt go in the sand pit lol

the poll is a great idea. :cheers:

sherry said:
i personally prefer a grass finish myself my dogs are trained with grass finishes and dont c a sand pit finish until we travel. i think it can put a lot of dogs off. whisper whizz doesnt go in the sand pit lolthe poll is a great idea.  :cheers:

my dogs make a beeline for the sand pit they love it i think most do but some do shy away maybe we should try and get green sand :teehee:

weathergirls said:
John said:
Please give your views so that the committee can have some idea how the racers with internet access feel.
Thanks John

No problem.

I have mixed feelings on this one. Whippet racing by it's very nature pose's dangers to the dog's/bitche's racing and both finishes have pluses and minuses. The biggest problem with grass (in my opinion) is that if the weather is dry over a long period the run off could cause problems with stoppers,toes and friction burns but at least the dog's/bitche's run and stop on the same surface for the full race. The problem with a sandpit finish (in my opinion) is that it is dug out so the dog's/bitche's stop in a pit which if a dog or a bitch had to stop at the side of the pit with it's leg at the ridge it could go over on it's leg or another dog could hit it and break it's leg or if it slid along on it's back and hit the ridge it could suffer a spinal injury another problem could be if it's raining the dogs will come off a fast surface onto a slow one and it must be like hitting quick sand at pace. On the whole it depends where the track is in the country (in my opinion) as in the north we get more rain so a sanpit finish is not really required (most of the time) where as in the south the opposite problem exists that's why sand pit finishes are more common there (in my opinion) so the run off would require watering and even more work for the workers but then again a sanpit requires work too. I have been lucky so far as even though my dogs are not used to sandpit finishe's they have not been bothered by them but I have sympthay for those whos dog's/bitches have so I am voting for a grass finish.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its to far for me to travell to but I would go for a sand pit every time its saved our Emma getting very nasty injuries at Asfordby.

The poll has not even been on three hours (maybe even two if the clock differances are wrong) and we have nine post's (seven if you count more than one user post) and we have twenty one vote's on the poll. The one problem with polls on K9 if users have more than one user name they can vote more than once (it has been said in the past with previous polls on K9 and if true could be happening here again). If the committee want a real feeling of what members think maybe you should have a postal vote of the members from this year (2005) and those who feel strongly enough on this issue will reply. As for the distance this was never the issue of this topic it was about the sandpit finish maybe we should start another topic about distances that racers have to travel but not only to the championships all the opens.

Sand pits are great but only with the right sort of sand in not grit this does more harm than good!!!!

steve

DENISE BAILEY said:
:oops:   :- "  sorry john
Not having a go at anybody in general but thread hijacking has been a bit of a thing on here (K9) of late and the one thing that comes up a lot is travel distances so maybe it's time we all got it off or chest and had a thread on this and stopped hijacking other threads.

Last edited by a moderator:
IMHO. sand finish would reduce any stopper or dew claw injurys that might occur.

It also has the much needed advantage of governing where the lure is stopped, which in turn ensures your dog is still flat out going over the line. I'm in favour. Cheers Mick

:thumbsup: Absolutely spot on Mick you know it makes sense. :thumbsup:

quite a lot of votes there. i wish there hadnt been a not bothered either way option though. make people choose one or the other. like i say i never liked them basically for the same reasons as john said b4.

:rant: Calm down carole we cant MAKE people vote for or against if they are not bothered :rant: :rant: :rant: LOL Geoff

im calm geoff just think it wud have been better if it was one or the other lol :- "

The sandpit is a good idear anything to saver injuries,also were it can be done there should be longer runnins for the bigger dogs mostly but would favour the smaller dogs as well.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back