• 1. Grass.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2. Sandpit.

• 3. Not bothered either way.

• Total voters

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Nice one unwanted but you won't be on Caroles xmas card list now :thumbsup: lol

I also am in agreement with sand pit finishes, they help to reduce injuries so I vote YES :cheers:

will this sand do? :- "

click on 2 enlarge lol

Is that a oil slick in the back ground or donkey s*** lol .

You and Peter bag it, me and hazel will fetch it :sweating: :sweating:

if the sandpits far enuff away from the line the dogs will not slow up(cannot eat xmas cards) :p

I must agree with Carole, I do not find any benifit from a sandpit finish, i.e. I think that a sandpit makes dogs that come from blue or white traps stop dead when they reach it, where as dogs coming from red or black, orange overshoot the sandpit and tend to hit the dogs already in there on their return to the lure. I also think that some racers tend to think that dogs will not run outwith the sandpit on pick up hence they stand at the edge of it and sometimes collide with wide runners etc. I have also been reciever of the dreaded sandburn injury when dogs hit sand to quickly, this over the years has been something we have started treating as a racing injury anyone who has had a sandburn on a dogs stoppers knows how sore it can be for them. One other dilema I find is that no matter how carefully the grass has been dug out we cannot avoid the dreaded lip complex,ie when there is a obvious drop before the dogs reach the sand this is an injury we could easily avoid if it was left as a grass finish.

Val

tanglewood said:
One other dilema I find is that no matter how carefully the grass has been dug out we cannot avoid the dreaded lip complex,ie when there is a obvious drop before the dogs reach the sand this is an injury we could easily avoid if it was left as a grass finish.
Val

At last, someone who has the same theory as me!!!

I can see the FOR's & AGAINST for grass & sand. However, when I used to race dogs I preferred the grass (although not when the ground was rock hard in summer). This is because I saw some nasty accidents of dogs getting broken legs where they had hit the sand so hard their paws dug and they were then hit from behind by another dog, NASTY!!!! :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I usually run to a grass finish as do all racers who run with me we have had very little injuries at the pick up, I do find when i change this to sand pit finish we do pick up more injuries

Val

Each to there own and I would think it would depend on which your dogs first started racing with. Our dogs were trained with a sand pit finish and club race with one, thay have never sufferd an injury due to the sand pit, the oppersite infact it saved Emma from what would of been a terrible injury when she landed on her head earlier this year.

I agree it would depend on which you were used to I am used to a grass finish, however i have raced at sandpit finish and have picked up injuries thats what i have based my opinions on

Val

The other problem with polls on K9 is that all the users are not Non-Pedigree Whippet Racers

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back