The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Narrow Dog To Carcassonne

gilliwigs

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I've just finished reading this book about a couple of pensioners who travel in their narrow boat across the Channel and down the canals/rivers of France with their whippet Jim. :D If you like travel books and if you happen to be whippet fans :- " then you will probably enjoy this. The author has some lovely descriptions of Jim which as whippet owners we can all identify with. Can't say I'd relish going all that way on a boat with Muffin though. Would be a complete nervous wreck by the time I got there! :blink:

I am about three quarters of the way through this book and agree that the descriptions of whippets are very good. I find the style of writing a little odd but that apart it is a good and interesting read. Having been on a narrow boat holiday several years ago, there is no way that I would consider taking my whippets on such a holiday.

Dennis Green said:
I find the style of writing a little odd
Definitely agree about that! It takes some time to get into it doesn't it but I thought it worth the effort because I really enjoyed his whippet descriptions! :thumbsup:

Haven't read the book yet but enjoyed watching some film of their journey when it was featured on the last series of 'Water World' on ITV.

I could be wrong but Sarah (forgive me if Ive got this wrong) on K9 lives some of the time on a narrow boat, and has mentioned this book previously on here before (and a Tv programme or something maybe???) :unsure:

Janimal said:
I could be wrong but Sarah (forgive me if Ive got this wrong) on K9 lives some of the time on a narrow boat, and has mentioned this book previously on here before (and a Tv programme or something maybe???) :unsure:
Yes, you're right :thumbsup: Just did a search and Sarah posted about the TV programme which featured this whippet and his owners. It was back last June which was before I'd joined K9. Wish I'd seen the programme. :cheers:

gilliwigs said:
Janimal said:
Yes, you're right :thumbsup: Just did a search and Sarah posted about the TV programme which featured this whippet and his owners. It was back last June which was before I'd joined K9. Wish I'd seen the programme. :cheers:

Yes - The programme that they were featured on was a previous series of 'Waterworld'. There is a current series of Waterworld on ITV at the moment. (Thurs eve after Emmerdale in some regions).

We met Jim, the Whippet, with his owners Terry and Monica Darlington, at a local Narrowboat Festival. He is a lovely fawn Whippet. :wub: I bought the book from them and they signed it which was nice. I took a couple of pics of Jim and posted them on K9 at the time. I would recommend the book as a good read - I liked his sense of humour (a little unusual!!) :lol: :lol: and the descriptions of Jim were brilliant. :wub: :wub:

At least I got something right for a change Sarah.... :unsure: :thumbsup:

Janimal said:
At least I got something right for a change Sarah.... :unsure:   :thumbsup:
You've got a good memory Janis. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I can barely remember posts from last week, let alone a few months ago!!! :lol: :lol: I think it is an age thing!! :(

OH bought me this book and i'm about half way through. Once you get used to his writing style it's a brill read, his humour and discriptions are great, I'm really enjoying it! I look forward to his little bits about Jim, so whippety! They have a website too, some nice pics on it, Jim (in a little bandana :wub: ) looks like Eli!

Can't imagine doing this kind of holiday with Eli on board, never mind crossing the channel :eek: !

Apparently there's talk of a film, can't wait for that!

Oh yeah, the website is www.narrowdog.com

Hi Ponygirl, thanks for the website address. An interesting read especially as it appears that there will be another book about a journey in America.

Dennis Green said:
Hi Ponygirl, thanks for the website address. An interesting read especially as it appears that there will be another book about a journey in America.
Yes! That should be interesting, very different to France! What a great way to spend your retirement, hope I've got the energy left for adventures when I'm their age! :)

ponygirl said:
Oh yeah, the website is www.narrowdog.com
Thanks for the web link :cheers: It was lovely to be able to see pictues of the authors with Jim. Would be brilliant if they made a film out of it. :D

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back