The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Natural Complete Dry Dog Food

FionaS

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
At the moment I feed all my dogs, Arden Grange (performance) dry and the wet partners (tripe). I was wondering if anyone had any reccomendations for other complete dog food that is natural i.e. gluten/wheat free etc?

Has anyone tried the natural dog food company?

I have tried burns before but it made Mojo have dandruff.

I use Barking Heads and Fish for dogs :) Both are gluten free as they have potato instead of wheat or rice.

Im a Barfer but have used Fish 4 Dogs as an additional meal to put down in pups crate overnight. I recommend it.

I have always used Royal Canin, but now i feed barf i don't use much of it now.

I have tried fish 4 dogs & they loved it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a local company who supply a feed = Burns, it's a Salmon & Potato Premium mix. I tried BARF but my dog wasn't completely happy on it so we now do raw for breakfast and the complete in the evening, I know it's not what BARF purists would say is ideal but it suits him, he looks well, even my vet commented on it, and the one thing I adhere to is not to mix raw/cooked together. PS We have discovered the joy of minimalist waste products also ;)

I use Aukarty. It is Organic, Wheet free, Gluten free, Hypoallergenic etc

The RRP is about £27.00 but I could only find one company supplying it online.

I buy it at Costco for about £12.00 for 15kg. It says for Summer years but all the dogs do really well on it. The oldies get a Glucosamimine and Condriton supplement and the odd treat mixed in.

Toddy has a sensitive stomach and does very well on this.

I give my pup James Wellbeloved and she likes it and is doing very well on it :thumbsup:

I give my pup James Wellbeloved and she likes it and is doing very well on it :thumbsup:
I'll second the James Wellbeloved- one of my pups had a really sensitive tummy when we got him. We tried everything including chicken/fish and rice cooked fresh every day. After sending off poo samples etc to make sure there was nothing seriously wrong we put him onto JW turkey and rice and (touching lots of wood!) he is doing really well on it. I now also add a little of the JW puppy pouches too to make it a bit wetter which they love.

DSCN0270__600_x_450_.jpg

Would you say mixing cooked pasta with tuna or scrambled egg is OK? Jack loves it but I don't want to continue giving him something unsuitable in the longer term.

Is Bakers Complete something anyone has tried? I'm amazed at the price of these complete foods!

Helpful thread. :thumbsup:

Hannah x

I'll second the James Wellbeloved- one of my pups had a really sensitive tummy when we got him. We tried everything including chicken/fish and rice cooked fresh every day. After sending off poo samples etc to make sure there was nothing seriously wrong we put him onto JW turkey and rice and (touching lots of wood!) he is doing really well on it. I now also add a little of the JW puppy pouches too to make it a bit wetter which they love.

View attachment 68508

I don't think Bakers is thought of as being a good complete food .

Although the good quality ones appear expensive you might find they are better value in the long term .

I don't see any value in adding anything to what is a completely balanced food :thumbsup:

Ooooh don't put them on Bakers (w00t) Far too many additives/preservatives.....they'll end up hyper :eek:

I used to have both Tina and Diva on James Wellbeloved and they both looked fantastic on that - lovely shiny coats, fit as fleas and ate it all up instead of picking at it like other foods :thumbsup:

I do like the sound of a BARF diet but when I had my two I just didn't have anywhere to keep raw stuff where Neil wouldn't complain :-

We can't get Orijen in Australia anymore - huge issues with cats becoming very ill and dying after eating it after irradiation (which it had to have done to pass our quarantine). Orijen withdrew all products from Australia.

Do you get Artemis in the UK? Quite a few Whippet folk here feed Artemis Power to their hounds. I feed a mix of raw and that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bakers is one of the foods we specifically ask our foster carers not to use for our Oldies Club dogs, it's full of colourings and flavourings and is well known for causing skin/allergy problems and makes some dogs hyper.

I'm using CSJ Natural Champ for mine at the moment, which is the only food I've found that seems to suit all of them and which they will all eat. I'd prefer to use James Wellbeloved really as it is a better quality food with less grain, but two of mine won't touch it and using two different foods is a real pain. I give mine a mixture of dried food and home cooked/fresh food, though, so the dried food is only part of their diet.

I've asked for some samples of Autarky (which CSJ distribute), it looks like an excellent food so if my lot like it I'll switch over.

I'd highly recommend Skinner's Field and Trial Salmon and Rice :thumbsup: I've pasted in the gen off there website below (hope that's ok admin). As a working dog food it's VAT free. And there is a very similar Duck and Rice as an alternative. Mine are fed the Skinner's if I want a kibble (and Nature Diet if I want a wet food) and everyone who sees them comments on the fab condition they are in :D

Field & Trial Salmon & Rice

Field & Trial Salmon & Rice is completely hypoallergenic and was developed following the

success of our Field & Trial Duck & Rice food.

Some working dogs can benefit from a fish-based

diet, particularly those with sensitivities to meat;

such as chicken, beef or lamb.

Field & Trial Salmon & Rice contains Scottish

salmon from a sustainable source, whole rice,

naked oats and peas. It is formulated to give an

excellent balance of Omega 3:6 fatty acids, which

can help support your dog's immune system.

As a vaulable source of energy and to maintain a

healthy coat condition, it is also coated in natural

sunflower oil.

Field & Trial Salmon & Rice also contains

enhanced levels of Glucosamine and Chondroitin

to help protect the joints of your dog.

Ingredients

Whole rice (40%), salmon meal (17.5% dry weight), naked oats, peas, sunflower oil, whole linseed,

beet pulp, vitamins and minerals.

Foods reccomended by me

Orijen

James wellbeloved

Firstclass

Royal canin

Fish 4 dogs

Wayne Wrights

Applaws

Nutro choice

Wafcol

Ones to avoid.........

Bakers

Pedigree

Pal

Chappie

Winalot

Butchers

Hope that helps! :thumbsup:

Cheers!!

Think i will try some fish 4 dogs and James Beloved. Tried nature diet before and that made Mojo sick!!

Has anyone any experience with the Gilpa range of foods?

I second the advice given by metalchicken about Skinners. My bitch has hypoallergenic Skinner's Field and Trial Duck and Rice - it's about £20 for a bag of 15kg, but this lasts Ivy 2- 3 months with half a tin of meat to supplement every day. With Bakers/ Tescos complete food etc. dogs do a lot more poo and farts!! :x

gilpas not a very good dog food! Neither is bakers etc to much cereal, sugar, salt and animal derivitives. Complete waste of money! :thumbsup:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back