The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Need a bit of advice

Sus

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Have tried many foods but in the end chose to feed my dog Tails.com food
I know it is supposedly not the best but I am always able to get the small 150g trays, it is wet enough to mix with kibble and I can see the meat and veg in it. More importantly Biddy loves it
I was advised to feed her a tray of wet 150gm and 33gms of dry food which equates 247 calories
I have not been feeding her that much as she is overweight again 3.6kg and should be 3kg (according to vet) so been giving her 110gm wet 25gm dry
I am going away on Sat for 10 days and a friend is looking after her and to avoid her having to weigh food I have said to give her the whole tray plus a full scoop of the dry (recommended amount) and not worry about her weight for now
I started giving her this amount 3 days ago for her to get used to it and her poop is bigger but last night she woke me to be let out at 12.30hrs and again at 0600hrs this morning then I went back to sleep
At 0800hrs I've gone downstairs and found a big deposit on the kitchen floor
She has not done this since I first got her last July, neither does she normally go in the middle of the night, she has amazing bladder and bowel control. She was not constipated as it was slightly softer than normal. I checked the garden to see if she had done anything on the 2 occasions she went out and there was nothing
Would this be because of extra food?
Am worried about her going to my friends now

Highly likely it was because of the filler in the dried food. You're right - it will be harder for your friend to manage clearing up poop than it would be to give the dog the food that doesn't upset her. So if you cut out the dried completely and just feed the tray - and your friend does the same - things should be okay. Timing of the meal is important, so work out what suits and tell your friend what that is.

The other way to do it, so it's easy for your friend, is find a small cup or pot that holds only 25gms of the dry, so she doesn't have to weigh it, she can use that as an easy measure. With the wet, maybe just say give her 3/4 of a tray each meal to keep it simple. Might be better than over feeding her for the 10 days you are away, Biddy still has the food she loves and your friend won't have to worry about weighing everything. It not being 100% exact won't matter hugely:)

Thanks Hemlock and Flobo, I was so worried about her going to my friends that I was ready to cancel my holiday
I have found an egg cup that takes about 25mg
I will tell my friend both your suggestions and let her do what she feels best doing.
She has had dogs for most of her life so is not a novice where looking after dogs is concerned
Hopefully everything will be ok, keeping my fingers crossed anyway

If she's used to dogs, would it not be best to simply ask her to give Biddy what you think is best for Biddy? Weighing out food only takes a moment.

I'm taking Biddy to her shortly so we will have a talk about it then and I will let her choose what to do, she is far more experienced with dogs than I am so I am absolutely confident that biddy will be well looked after.
Dreading it a bit
Biddy will probably be more ok about it than me. I fuss far too much.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back