The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

need help on my lamping technique

stark

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
hi , think i need a bit of help on my lamping technique , as not only have my dogs not cought a rabbit lamping but so far i havent even seen a rabbit ...i know they are there as during the day i have noticed quite a lot of dropings ...so what am i doing wrong ? ...this is what i do ...i park my car 500yds away and walk to the aria then i switch my lamp on and see if i can see anything ...and usually nothing !

is it to do with the time of night ?

ive been going at 2am

:unsure:

any help ?

thanks

hi john ive been going at last light & first light during the winter & have had plenty of runs but in the summer i go at midnight onwards, my dogs last rabbit was at abour 5.40 in the afternoon just as it was getting dark , youde be supprised at how many are out at that time , but there will be lots of young out soon. i went out at midnight about 2 months ago & all i saw was foxes , tryed 3 different spots but didnt see a rabbit

Hi John, 1stly look at what noise you may be making unintentionaly? look at your clothing most types of waterproof gear (camo ect) make a lot of noise rustling ect that would spook the rabbits long before you ever get near them.

Wellys often make a noise as they bend when you walk.

Keys in your pocket jangling.

are you on your own or with another as talking even in wispers will see all the rabbits in the area knowing your there as well.

does your dog lead rattle?

are you approching them from a downwind possition (so your approching with the wind in your face?) as your smell (deoderant, cig smell ect) travels on the wind a long way

now what nights are you going out on? you want a nice windy night with no moon, is there any artifcial lighting in the area from a motorway ect that could be lighting your body up as you walk?

in the past i've been out from 10pm onwards if the nights conditions & your gear is right then you should find the rabbits?

hope that helps

thanks mark i will give all thoes things a try .

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back