The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Neighbours cat

Mad Murphy

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
For a start its not hers but its owner is often away and cant be bothered with it so he lets my neighbour treat it as if its her own ( and pay the vet bills) although he remains the legal owner
But its about 19 and has a nasal tumour so its lost a lot of weight and when it cleans or scratches at its face the tumour bleeds.

Now the neighbourhood is up in arms about the 'poor cat' one woman posted about it on FB page for lost animals claiming shes never seen it before even though she lives just 2 doors away, another came to my house this morning asking if the lady who cares for it is on holiday .. I know this is because when shes away they know I look after her house and the cat/cats depending on who shes feeding at the time. What they want is for me to do the 'decent thing' and have the cat PTS while shes away. Of course they didnt say that directly they just hinted about doing the right thing , not letting the cat suffer, being a stong person etc etc. So Ive sent them away with a bit of a flea in their ear.

My neighbour is home, and Ive told them to go and talk to her. Explain how worried they are and ask her to have the cat PTS, or to take it to a vet themselves if they are so bothered about it.

I know she takes the cat to the vet and it has some cream and some tablets to ease any pain and suffering but the vet has not yet advised PTS so who am I to say its time.
I admit if it was my pet I would have let it go by now but thats my choice.
Nothing against cats but the owners? dear lord I could happily strangle the lot of them..

It sounds as if your problem isn't so much cat owners as 'worried bystanders' who want to wade in but get someone else (i.e. you) to do their dirty work for them. No way can you be responsible for putting the cat to sleep when it's not in your care and is already receiving vet treatment. Though if your neighbour goes away and leaves the cats in your care you should certainly have a conversation along the lines of 'If the cat deteriorates, can I take it to the vet, and agree to it being PTS if the vet thinks it's the right thing to to?' (And I'd get that put in writing.)

My cat is 21, does the splits on the bathroom tiles because of poor muscle tone, has a permanently runny nose due to thickening of his nasal airways, and has been scratching in his litter tray followed by leaving puddles on the floor a few times this morning (which I'll have to speak to the vet about if it continues). I wouldn't want anyone but me to decide when enough is enough.

@JudyN by owners I was talking about the one who has walked away from the cat in the first place..
But....
I heard raised voices just now.
The woman who came here got her husband to go next door and confront the neighbour.

He started with the " I wouldn't let my cat suffer like this" line .... of course that was rebuffed with " well its not your cat is it"?
The row has ended with my neighbour making the choice to have the cat PTS next week before she goes away so at least its her who is with the cat in her last moments and the other neighbours cant do anything while she's away.

GRRR update on this, the acutal real legal owner was contacted but he says hes on holiday so 'just do whatever is necessary'

I think a huge kick up the backside is necessary but not for the cat!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back