The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

New Bwra Ruling

mutley

THE KING
Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
does this new rules regarding the breeding of greyhounds make any sense :unsure:

this is an exsample and im sure tommy wont mind :)) i have a 29 pound dog bred from tinkerman 18 pound to a greyhound. ive been led to beleive that he could not line like i say this is an exsample maizy moo 26 pound. this is because they are both half cross whippet greyhound if so then it needs rethinking as i think imo its pathetic a few years from now there will be an outcry we need greyhound blood :unsure: i understand about the size breeding and think the cap was enough for owners to down size the breed. the breeding i understood you couldnt line a greyhound with a half cross whippet greyhound with the legeslation but to say no to a mating with both parents been half cross seems stupid imo :angry: how do you know you will get a scratch dog if you cant mate 2 crosses and theres folks who only want scratch dogs

im not having a go at the proposal just the amount of greyhound blood trying to be bred out ...if the guide lines are the way ive heared it

the main reason for the topic is i have a 30 pound bitch witch ive been told i cant use a dog wich could be even 26 to 36 if there both whippet greyhound crosses its not to cause any bad feeling

Think you've got it wrong Gary.As I read the proposal it was that a whippet/greyhound half cross or any pups out of this cross couldn't be put to a greyhound.Didn't see anything in the proposal that said a half cross couldn't be put across another half cross.Hope that makes sense

I SENT A LETTER TO THE BWRA

AND THAT WAS THE ANSWER TO MY QUESTION

SO YES IT IS CORRECT

BAD FEELING YES THATS JUST ABOUT HOW I FEEL

GARY

karen thats what i thought but honestly ive had confermation on it i think theres been a mistake somewhere but definatly been told and gary farmer even has it in writing that its been done as ive said no mating of 2 greyhound whippet crosses i only hope someones got it wrong

Where did it say that in the proposal?We all voted on the proposal,and I am sure Marie didn't put that in it

not maries fault at all it wasnt in the proposal not the way i read it anyway

2) Breeders to continue to outcross to greyhounds but after an outcross progeny may not be out crossed to another greyhound for two generations. This would be done by not allowing the registration of puppies for racing if they fall within these criteria. As with all things in whippet racing this would be dependent on the integrity of members.

Reasons: - This would address peoples concerns about what some see as excessive use of greyhound outcrosses but would still allow for the introduction of new lines. It would also help to gradually reduce some of the more extreme excesses in size and may help to promote the use of existing scratch stud dogs for those actively wishing to race in the scratch.

This is the proposal that was put to the membership together with my reasons for proposing it. It is quite clear that the intention is to reduce outcrossing to full greyhounds, nowhere in the proposal that we voted on did it say anything about breeding 1/2 crosses. In fact if you read my reasons which were also sent with the proposal I make it crystal clear that part of this proposal was to promote the use of scratch stud dogs for those wishing to scratch race. I am an active scratch racer myself and have no wish to see an end to the breeding of scratch dogs. If the ruling is different to this then it is not a ruling that the membership voted on but something else entirely and absolutely nothing to do with my original proposal

GAZ IVE SENT YOU BOTH LETTERS PLEASE COULD YOU PUT THEM ON FOR ME

I THINK EVERYONE NEEDS TO SEE THEM AS THEY ALL HAVE A RIGHT TO SEE WHAT THEY VOTED FOR

IVE HAD A BREEDING PROGRAME FOR 10 YEARS NOW IT HAS PRODUCED SOME GREAT DOGS 20 PLUS TITLES

NOW I CANT CROSS ANY OF THESE PUPS

THIS TO ME IS SPITEFUL AND HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH BREEDING LARGE DOGS SOME OF THE TINKERMAN GREYHOUND PUPS ARE ONLY 24 LB AND CAN NOT BE CROSSED

WITH THE SAME CROSS

GARY

I think Gaz has got it wrong ...i am sure as Maire says the breeding of 2 Greyhound + whippet would be acceptable

ie mai-zee mu x tybound

2) Breeders to continue to outcross to greyhounds but after an outcross progeny may not be out crossed to another greyhound for two generations. This would be done by not allowing the registration of puppies for racing if they fall within these criteria. As with all things in whippet racing this would be dependent on the integrity of members.
Reasons: - This would address peoples concerns about what some see as excessive use of greyhound outcrosses but would still allow for the introduction of new lines. It would also help to gradually reduce some of the more extreme excesses in size and may help to promote the use of existing scratch stud dogs for those actively wishing to race in the scratch.

This is the proposal that was put to the membership together with my reasons for proposing it. It is quite clear that the intention is to reduce outcrossing to full greyhounds, nowhere in the proposal that we voted on did it say anything about breeding 1/2 crosses. In fact if you read my reasons which were also sent with the proposal I make it crystal clear that part of this proposal was to promote the use of scratch stud dogs for those wishing to scratch race. I am an active scratch racer myself and have no wish to see an end to the breeding of scratch dogs. If the ruling is different to this then it is not a ruling that the membership voted on but something else entirely and absolutely nothing to do with my original proposal
As the seconder of the proposal i completely agree with maries post above. Nowhere in the proposal did it suggest that you cannot breed half crosses. No-one would be that silly so as to suggest that. If the BWRA have given out different info then perhaps people need to see evidence of that or speak to their reps.

chris

Ive just read the letters gaz emailed me ...and the way it read ...says you cannot breed 2 whippet / greyhound out crosses together

letter from Gary to the BWRA

Dear ******

Regarding the results of the recent ballot. I would be grateful if the committee would clarify the following points:

1. THE CAPPING OF THE WEIGHT LIMIT AT 55lb

Is this to take immediate effect and have any allowances been made for members who already have pups which will be ready to start racing?

2. BREEDING TO GREYHOUNDS

Have allowances been made for members who already have pups, or pups due from matings, which took place before the results of the ballot and for people who have purchased pups in order to join our sport?

Whilst I accept the results of a democratic ballot I really do hope, as many others do, that the BWRA committee are going to take these situations into account and accept the registrations of pups born before, for example, 1st March 2009?

It would also help if the BWRA would draw up a SPECIFIC PROGRAMME OF BREEDING so members are fully aware of exactly when they can and cannot outcross to the greyhound. For example:

1. Tinkerman X Greyhound - I assume that the offspring from this litter cannot be put to a greyhound?

2. Mai Zee Mu, also a whippet greyhound - can this be put to the offspring of Tinkerman greyhound?

3. If yes - Can the offspring of 1&2 (if mated) be put to a greyhound?

I would appreciate a quick response to these queries.

Yours in sport

GARY FARMER

Ill add the reply in a tic just want to take the names out

think someone has it wrong like i said i know this has nothing at all to do with the proposal put forward just the answer from the bwra to garys letter also the same answer i got in a phone call im sure it must be a mistake

dont really think the bwra are to blame they acted on a proposal but theres definitly crossed wires somewhere

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by a moderator:
just had confermation it is true you cant breed 2 greyhound whippet crosses

Ive just read the letters gaz emailed me ...and the way it read ...says you cannot breed 2 whippet / greyhound out crosses together

letter from Gary to the BWRA

Dear ******

Regarding the results of the recent ballot. I would be grateful if the committee would clarify the following points:

1. THE CAPPING OF THE WEIGHT LIMIT AT 55lb

Is this to take immediate effect and have any allowances been made for members who already have pups which will be ready to start racing?

2. BREEDING TO GREYHOUNDS

Have allowances been made for members who already have pups, or pups due from matings, which took place before the results of the ballot and for people who have purchased pups in order to join our sport?

Whilst I accept the results of a democratic ballot I really do hope, as many others do, that the BWRA committee are going to take these situations into account and accept the registrations of pups born before, for example, 1st March 2009?

It would also help if the BWRA would draw up a SPECIFIC PROGRAMME OF BREEDING so members are fully aware of exactly when they can and cannot outcross to the greyhound. For example:

1. Tinkerman X Greyhound - I assume that the offspring from this litter cannot be put to a greyhound?

2. Mai Zee Mu, also a whippet greyhound - can this be put to the offspring of Tinkerman greyhound?

3. If yes - Can the offspring of 1&2 (if mated) be put to a greyhound?

I would appreciate a quick response to these queries.

Yours in sport

GARY FARMER

Ill add the reply in a tic just want to take the names out
reply from bwra to me

img001.jpg

Perhaps the proposal has been misinterpreted as "No greyhounds AT ALL in 2 generations of breeding before an out cross can be made ?"

This is how I understood the new ruling to be ie 2 generation gap before the offspring could be put back to a full greyhound, if its be altered, I'm against it, even though we won't be racing in a couple of years time.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back