The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

New dog pulling on lead - advice please

Jenny72

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi everyone,
This is my first ever post. We have adopted a 10 month old staffy cross (tall but not sure exactly what..). He has been with us just over 2 weeks. Although we don't know his full story, it seems he's had 4 homes since puppyhood - 3 in the 6 weeks before coming to his forever home with us. We've been told he wasn't walked enough or fed enough in one of his homes. Sadly, his behaviour around meeting new men also indicate possible bad experiences as he cowers and submits or just barks a lot and takes a while to cautiously approach them.
He has a lovely sweet nature and loves his cuddles and play but is a jumper and pulls like crazy on the lead - very excited to meet people and other dogs and has been friendly with other dogs when meeting.
I am aware it may take him some time to feel truly settled so we are aiming for calm and consistent behaviour from us. We are following the principles from the dog guardian book and already seeing some improvement at home.
I think the pulling will be our major challenge though. I'm training him to walk to heel off lead and on lead around the house and garden which he is doing well at - lots of food rewards. Once we are out though, it is hard to get his attention even with food.
Anyone with similar experiences with advice?

Thanks for reading

Although he is capable of learning a lot already...it is still early days for him in his new home so don't expect too much too soon. I have found that even the least problematic rescue/second hand dogs will take several months to fully come out of their shell and show their true nature.
So gently does it..;) It might be good idea to purposely keep some distance to other people outside immediate family, let him become very confident with all the family members first and only then slowly start introducing him to wider circle. Ideally so that these people do not pay too much attention for the dog so their 'disinterest' is 'safe' for him and it is not exciting his behaviour neither...letting him to do the introductions in his own terms...as and when he is ready. When people are boring to him, there is less reason to be jumpy...eventually this might become more calmer habit.
I'm sure others will soon come with more advise and particularly about the walking bit...

His trust will take a bit of time, just keep doing good stuff and plant new fun and games in his brain and the trust will come, the pulling is down to not walking from previous bad owners so keep the training consistent, as he’s a rescue staffie x I’d say watch him for any aggression to dogs and people , best of luck .

I've had a quick look at reviews for the book you mention, The Dog Guardian. I did notice that it doesn't seem to be completely up to date - the two bits of advice mentioned were eating before feeding the dog (which will only result in a slightly stressed dog and a puddle of drool), and ignoring the dog for 5 minutes when you come in (the dog will just wonder why you're being strange - it's better to give a casual greeting, sort out your shopping, etc., and then have a proper hello). So don't take it as gospel, and question everything (including what I've just said!).

Have you seen the YouTube videos by kikopup? She has everything from basic manners to cool tricks. But her 'giving in to leash pressure' is one of my personal favourites. Dogs, and other animals, have an instinct to pull away from anything that restrains them. It's called oppositional reflex if you want to Google the science.

This video teaches how to ask the dog to overide that instinct and draw back when the lead reaches its limit.

Although he is capable of learning a lot already...it is still early days for him in his new home so don't expect too much too soon. I have found that even the least problematic rescue/second hand dogs will take several months to fully come out of their shell and show their true nature.
So gently does it..;) It might be good idea to purposely keep some distance to other people outside immediate family, let him become very confident with all the family members first and only then slowly start introducing him to wider circle. Ideally so that these people do not pay too much attention for the dog so their 'disinterest' is 'safe' for him and it is not exciting his behaviour neither...letting him to do the introductions in his own terms...as and when he is ready. When people are boring to him, there is less reason to be jumpy...eventually this might become more calmer habit.
I'm sure others will soon come with more advise and particularly about the walking bit...

Thank you. Its reassuring to hear that its OK to take it slowly and expect small steps. I know it will take time for him to feel safe and trust us.

I've had a quick look at reviews for the book you mention, The Dog Guardian. I did notice that it doesn't seem to be completely up to date - the two bits of advice mentioned were eating before feeding the dog (which will only result in a slightly stressed dog and a puddle of drool), and ignoring the dog for 5 minutes when you come in (the dog will just wonder why you're being strange - it's better to give a casual greeting, sort out your shopping, etc., and then have a proper hello). So don't take it as gospel, and question everything (including what I've just said!).

Thank you. There's so much advice on training, a lot of it contradictory with pros and cons and it can make things feel like i don't know what to do for the best. This is our second dog; our first was a bulldog who sadly died early last month.
You are right, being open and questioning is good and lots of patience and consistency.

Have you seen the YouTube videos by kikopup? She has everything from basic manners to cool tricks. But her 'giving in to leash pressure' is one of my personal favourites. Dogs, and other animals, have an instinct to pull away from anything that restrains them. It's called oppositional reflex if you want to Google the science.

This video teaches how to ask the dog to overide that instinct and draw back when the lead reaches its limit.

Thank you! Not seen this - will definitely have a look - appreciate the link.

Hi everyone,
This is my first ever post. We have adopted a 10 month old staffy cross (tall but not sure exactly what..). He has been with us just over 2 weeks. Although we don't know his full story, it seems he's had 4 homes since puppyhood - 3 in the 6 weeks before coming to his forever home with us. We've been told he wasn't walked enough or fed enough in one of his homes. Sadly, his behaviour around meeting new men also indicate possible bad experiences as he cowers and submits or just barks a lot and takes a while to cautiously approach them.
He has a lovely sweet nature and loves his cuddles and play but is a jumper and pulls like crazy on the lead - very excited to meet people and other dogs and has been friendly with other dogs when meeting.
I am aware it may take him some time to feel truly settled so we are aiming for calm and consistent behaviour from us. We are following the principles from the dog guardian book and already seeing some improvement at home.
I think the pulling will be our major challenge though. I'm training him to walk to heel off lead and on lead around the house and garden which he is doing well at - lots of food rewards. Once we are out though, it is hard to get his attention even with food.
Anyone with similar experiences with advice?

Thanks for reading
When we took on one of our past dogs at age 1 1/2 year old, she was never been outside her home or even walked on the lead. We literally had to 'puppy train' her at that age for many doggy basics. It wasn't difficult and she did pick up everything very nicely indeed. But for start with, going for walks were such a rush for her...she was like 'Alice in wonderland'..it was all new and exciting...we were just slowing down weight at the other end of the rope..she didn't take no notice of us.
The difference in that age is that as their brains are not 'puppy brains' anymore, they are capable of handling the incoming information better to the very little ones..they just need opportunity for their brain to catch what the body is already doing.
So as I already mentioned...build up the bond..try to take everything slow with him for not to over excite him, even if some of the walks involve just lot of standing about or sitting on park bench watching the wold around him. Point around for different things you might see and talk and talk to him in calm manner. Lot of the learning and adjusting with him will need just slowing down the pace (or try to:rolleyes:) to give him and his brain time to think things over.
It will happen with given time. With my 'Alice' it took about 6 months and then she started to find out that the 'wonderland' wasn't quite so weird and wonderful experience after all but more of 'been there and done that' ;) It became more of a nice routine thing to get out and about...the newness of it will rub off eventually.

Last edited:
His trust will take a bit of time, just keep doing good stuff and plant new fun and games in his brain and the trust will come, the pulling is down to not walking from previous bad owners so keep the training consistent, as he’s a rescue staffie x I’d say watch him for any aggression to dogs and people , best of luck .
Thank you. I know the trust will take time to come with everything he has experienced (and we don't even know the full story). I think any dog, irrespective of breed could potentially show signs of aggression - especially when not trained or looked after properly. Bodie unfortunately jumps for attention and because he is tall, could easily knock over a child. It's not been nice being launched at as an adult but this is already calming down thankfully.

When we took on one of our past dogs at age 1 1/2 year old, she was never been outside her home or even walked on the lead. We literally had to 'puppy train' her at that age for many doggy basics. It wasn't difficult and she did pick up everything very nicely indeed. But for start with, going for walks were such a rush for her...she was like 'Alice in wonderland'..it was all new and exciting. The difference in that age is that as their brains are not 'puppy brains' anymore, they handle the incoming information differently to the very little ones.
So as I already mentioned...build up the bond..try to take everything slow with him for not to over excite him, even if some of the walks are involve just lot of standing about or sitting on park bench watching the wold around. Point around for different things and talk and talk to him in calm manner. Lot of the learning and adjusting with him will need just slowing down the pace (or try to:rolleyes:) to give him and his brain time to think things over.
It will happen with given time. With my 'Alice' it took about 6 months and then she started to find out that the 'wonderland' wasn't quite so weird and wonderful experience after all but more of 'been there and done that' ;) It became more of a nice routine thing to get out and about...the newness of it will rub off eventually.

This is such helpful advice, thank you Finsky. I have felt that he should have 2 walks a day otherwise I am a terrible owner or if I cannot get him to not pull, I am a terrible owner... I am sticking to the same couple of quiet areas to walk him at the moment (in woodland and a marsh track) so that he doesn't get lots of new stimulation too quickly. Luckily we have a calm, quiet home life. I have been off for 2 weeks to help him settle in and have noticed this week that he is napping during the day - which he wasn't doing last week.

This is such helpful advice, thank you Finsky. I have felt that he should have 2 walks a day otherwise I am a terrible owner or if I cannot get him to not pull, I am a terrible owner... I am sticking to the same couple of quiet areas to walk him at the moment (in woodland and a marsh track) so that he doesn't get lots of new stimulation too quickly. Luckily we have a calm, quiet home life. I have been off for 2 weeks to help him settle in and have noticed this week that he is napping during the day - which he wasn't doing last week.
Nah...you are not terrible owner. The terrible owners do not try to teach their dogs. If anybody should even hint something like that to you, you can point out that 'no dog learn tricks without somebody teaching it for them in a first place!'
I don't necessary walk my dogs routinely 2 times a day at all. Some days mine get walked once but it is then loooooong walk. Some days we are just generally out and about and active so as long as they have chance to empty themselves...that's fine. And then some days either we need rest day or even the dogs might not bother with the weather being bad...thats ok too...as long as they get to go into garden. The more quieter days can be compensated other ways...more playing in home/garden etc. And then we have days they might get short walks several times..it can all vary and in fact it makes their life less boring too. It is important to listen if some days they are not feeling like it/ up to much.
But it is good that you have some routine walking areas...once his neck of the woods is lost is newness, you can expand it until that too is familiar....and so on. And soon you both won't even remember what all that 'faff' was all about. The napping is good..and while he is doing so...carry on with your daily tasks as normal and let him keep eye on you from the teeny little gap between the eye lids. The day you hear him snoring with his tummy up in the air...you know he is comfortable in HIS home ;):D

Last edited:
Bodie unfortunately jumps for attention and because he is tall, could easily knock over a child. It's not been nice being launched at as an adult but this is already calming down thankfully.
You could try to remedy that when ever he jump or stand up, turn your back and step away and look up for a short moment. The moment you feel his paws stay on the ground without repeated standing up again...turn around that stroke him for that attention. If he does it again...repeat as many times as it is necessary until he does stay down. Your attention is his reward for staying on his fours. Other thing is also that you meet him on his level so he doesn't have to get up and also any treats are given on the floor so he doesn't have reach up for your hand and get those eager paws up.

Looks as though you’re on the right track. As others have said, don’t expect too much too soon and I agree with Finsky’s remark re paws in air and snoring. We do have that now with our rescued whippet which has been with us for 10 months but up until February this year I was in despair and wondering whether I’d made the biggest mistake of my life. However Mabel’s made a great breakthrough but has still got a long way ahead of her. You’ll get there, I’m sure.

Nah...you are not terrible owner. The terrible owners do not try to teach their dogs. If anybody should even hint something like that to you, you can point out that 'no dog learn tricks without somebody teaching it for them in a first place!'
I don't necessary walk my dogs routinely 2 times a day at all. Some days mine get walked once but it is then loooooong walk. Some days we are just generally out and about and active so as long as they have chance to empty themselves...that's fine. And then some days either we need rest day or even the dogs might not bother with the weather being bad...thats ok too...as long as they get to go into garden. The more quieter days can be compensated other ways...more playing in home/garden etc. And then we have days they might get short walks several times..it can all vary and in fact it makes their life less boring too. It is important to listen if some days they are not feeling like it/ up to much.
But it is good that you have some routine walking areas...once his neck of the woods is lost is newness, you can expand it until that too is familiar....and so on. And soon you both won't even remember what all that 'faff' was all about. The napping is good..and while he is doing so...carry on with your daily tasks as normal and let him keep eye on you from the teeny little gap between the eye lids. The day you hear him snoring with his tummy up in the air...you know he is comfortable in HIS home ;):D

Thanks Finsky, your reply is so reassuring and helps me relax and find the balance between teaching/training and enjoying Bodie and helping him settle in his own time. The good news is that we went for a walk this morning in local woodland. He pulled some of the time but not as hard and constantly as before. I let him stop and sniff as much as he wanted. When he did pull a lot, I stopped and at times changed direction, calling him to me as we have done in training in the garden. He was more responsive and overall seemed a bit less reactive and distracted - he was interested in the high quality treats I had which he hadn't been before on walks. We did a short session of heel training at home later and lots of play. He is currently on his back, belly up and snoring beside me on the sofa.

Thanks again for your input - massively helpful x

Thanks Finsky, your reply is so reassuring and helps me relax and find the balance between teaching/training and enjoying Bodie and helping him settle in his own time. The good news is that we went for a walk this morning in local woodland. He pulled some of the time but not as hard and constantly as before. I let him stop and sniff as much as he wanted. When he did pull a lot, I stopped and at times changed direction, calling him to me as we have done in training in the garden. He was more responsive and overall seemed a bit less reactive and distracted - he was interested in the high quality treats I had which he hadn't been before on walks. We did a short session of heel training at home later and lots of play. He is currently on his back, belly up and snoring beside me on the sofa.

Thanks again for your input - massively helpful x
Your day sounds really good! You will get days that things don't go quite as perfectly but don't let that discourage you. Often dog training is a case taking steps backwards as well. If that starts happening, it ain't necessary that you have done something wrong. Dogs have their own minds and as his confidence grow, he could well test how easily he can get away with his whims with you. He will be soon teenager as well and that could bring out new side of him....'teenagers! :rolleyes::D' . There can be varied reasons for their unwillingness to do something. As much as he has to learn about you and your instruction...the learning goes other way as well..both of you will have to read each others signs to get along and that will develop as the time goes by.
But as you have already discovered, it is good to do more intensive training after your dog has had chance to get worst 'steam' out his system, they are that little bit more responsive then.
Good luck and keep us posted how you get on...some photos would be nice to see too ;) ..or any other rattle and talk about your thoughts about your dog or anything else in general. Our 'cafe' is just a place for some 'idle' chat.

Last edited:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back