The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

New german shepherd puppy

bub1

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Evening everyone

I have just joined.

We got a new German Shepherd Pup, on the 20th April. He is now 9 weeks old.

His poos has been fairly firm since we got him and he has not messed over night, (which is good for such a young one).

Yesterday I had to go out at 11, I was expecting to be back by 2 at the latest. Unfortunately things did not work out that way and eventually got home at 5.

Since about 8pm last night the pup has had runny poo. (like cow pat)

He is eating and drinking normally and is full of life and playing with the other dogs.

Could his problem with runny poos be because he got stressed at being left for so long? the longest he has been left since we got him has been 2 hours.

I also noticed tonight that when I went upstairs he cried the place down, and he hasn't done this since he has been here.

When I went upstairs before he just sat at the bottom with my other boys.

He is having Beta Puppy Food (Dry) not softened with water.

Do you think it is down to stress? I have been here all day today. His poos are still runny.

He is settled and happy. Tail wagging and not laying around as though he is ill.

Any suggestions as to what to do to make him less stressed.

Thanks

Looking forward to getting to know you all.

Took pup to vet today. They said he is healthy and just has got a genuine upset tummy. Gave him some food and some medicine and said within a couple of days he should be fine and start introducing his normal food.

He returns next Saturday for his 2nd jab.

Did you by any chance leave your puppy with a bowl full of food to last him all day ?

You may upset your puppies tummy if you change his diet on to a totally different food suggested and sold by the vet, what has the vet prescribed !!

Puppies often get runny poos. Change of food, change of environment, change of routine (such as you going out), eating rubbish can all cause problems.

Check out the website "All About Dog Food" for the future. I would not change his food again for quite a while. When you do change it make it very very gradual. GSD's have notoriously delicate digestions.

i do not leave food down all day. As I am there. I only ever pop down the road and that is what I have done since he has been here the most I have been gone is half hour. Except for the other day when I was out longer than expected.

Vet prescribed hills sensitive wet food. It hasnt helped he still has the runs (sorry).

I have put him on chicken and rice for a couple of days to see if this helps, then I will gradually introduce his beta puppy food again.

Meant to add that he has put on weight the vet weighed him.

He was : 5.6kg when we picked him up he is now : 6.5kg.

So despite him having a bad tummy which i was worried would drop his weight down he has gained.

As said he is happy and boundy and very playful.

Although it happened after you left him it is unlikely to be the cause. Probably just a coincidence. Having said that, stress can cause tummy problems so if he got himself really stressed then perhaps he might get a bit loose.

There is lots of advice on here about separation anxiety to have search to see if you can help him cope. It is mostly about not letting the dog become dependent on you. Best not to let him rest touching you all the time or follow you around all the time. The more independent you can make him the more relaxed he will be when you leave him.

Most dogs get upset in the first half hour. If they are ok for half an hour they are usually ok for longer.

Thankyou will try that. My other dogs don't have that problem. We have 3 yorkies and a Scottish terrier. We did have another german shepherd but we had to have him put to sleep at the age of 10.

He didn't like puppy food at all and would only eat adult food. Which I know was wrong.

You might like to look out for some large breed puppy food for the next time your puppy is ready for a change. It is less rich than food designed for all and especially for small breeds. Large breeds grow more slowly and so don't need quite such a rich food.

How are things on the chicken and rice?

Hi, welcome and congrats on your new pup!

We also have a GSD pup, her name is Holly and she is now 8 months!

She's had her fair share of runny poos, some I suspect down to eating something dodgy in the garden, some during car journeys and some are just down to excitement. It all seems to correct itself in a day or so.

Chicken and rice has sorted her out well when needed although she' been really disappointed when normal dog food resumes!

Chicken and rice haven't seemed to help. So took him back today. He is now having metronidazole tablets. Emperor I'd susp.

Sorry also been given canegest and hills science sensitive dry food and sensitive tinned.

Fingers crossed I hope this works.

Does anyone know how long the metronidazole takes to work he has 7 days supply.

Thankyou.

I would think you should see an improvement in 3-4 days. Is Canegest a pro biotic? I presume it is. If not he may need one.

Hi yes it is. Well last night he only went to the big ones once so that was good. He has had one of his tablets this morning and I will feed him shortly. He takes his tablet like they are treats so that's good.

Thankyou for all of your help.

His name is Cody.

Cody went back to day for his 2nd jab and can start walking out from next Saturday.

He now has a clean bill of health and has put in 2kg.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back