The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

New laws would *allow* extreme hunting methods on “Federal sanctuaries” in Alaska

leashedForLife

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register

Alaska is the only state of the 50 that differentiates between SPORT & SUBSISTENCE hunters; “subsistence” is presumed to mean “need”, as in “I cannot afford to buy meat; I can afford ammo”, & thus the hunter is allowed to use hunting methods that are illegal in other states, often these methods are deemed unsporting or outright cruel.
The creation of a new category of huntable land, owned by the Feds but administered FOR HUNTING by the state of Alaska, has only muddied the legality & jurisdiction issues.

Among other methods that would never be permitted outside Alaska:
- spotlighting bears or wolves IN THEIR DENS, with their young.

- shooting swimming caribou from speedboats on the water.
- aerial hunting of predators, particularly wolves, using helicopters & light planes.
- shooting predators over BAIT; most controversial, using human foods, not natural foods.
- hunting predators during their breeding seasons, thus orphaning young to die.

More details here:
Hunters in Alaska ask: Who has the right to tell them how to hunt?

The use of human foods as bear-bait raises the terrible prospect of habituated bears seeking food in human communities; a hungry grizzly is perfectly capable of coming thru a house wall, to get more bacon. In autumn, a bear’s drive to find concentrated calories is intense, & they will travel many miles to reach a known or possible source of some high-fat, high calorie, delicacy.

I find the idea of hunting any animal while they are raising their young to be absolutely repellent; this runs counter to everything I was taught, as a young hunter. No one, short of absolute starvation, should even consider killing a nursing mother, a father feeding his mate & his pups, or a hibernating bear with her cubs. :eek: That’s an outrage.

As someone noted in the article, declaring war on predators in the so-called “Federal preserves” is intended to create an artificial game park, where only humans can prey on the game they want.
Loss of predators is devastating to any biome; if we haven’t learned from the disaster of a predator-free Yellowstone National Park, we are hopeless eejits.
The reintroduction of wolves had completely unexpected & extremely beneficial effects on HUNDREDS of species that we know of - & quite possibly thousands more, of whom we will never know. Everything from cutthroat trout to carrion beetles, elk to coyote, & streamside willows or cottonwoods, has profited by wolves returning.

I hope this legislation dies aborning, but if it passes, I also hope that a lawsuit from one or more of the conservation nonprofits will kill it forever.

- terry

We love watching "Life Below Zero". Channel 42, most evenings from 9pm to 11pm!

Some people will never get over their arrogance, they feel they have a right to kill anything.
Sadly the US government will never legislate against guns and hunting they gain too much from the gun/hunting lobbies and stand to loose too much if they do. Cowards all round.

The truly bizarre thing is that Alaska is very dependent on tourists for income, & tourists spend billion$ of dollar$ in stark contrast to the mere “millions” spent by in-state & out of state hunters, every year.
Tourists want to WATCH wildlife, not kill them, & they spend many, many times more than the hunting fraternity, whether local or visitors.

Why the state as a whole is so willing to devastate their own wildlife popns by trying to eradicate large predators across thousands of acres of Federal land is the Q; the state Govt seems terrified of their own residents, & will not confront them with facts.
Is re-election so important that U will put Ur state’s entire ecology at risk?... apparently, it is.
:(

- terry

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back