The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

New Owner to a Rescue Kelpie X

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Drift's Owner, Jul 30, 2018.

1. Drift's Owner

Drift's Owner New Member Registered

Hi, Just joining the forum for the first time as co-owner of an Australia Kelpie-X called Drift. He is a lovely dog & his training is coming along well for a stray...drifting here and there...hence the name! Unfortunately he has not had a settled stomach / bowel issues we are trying to sort through. So I'm interest to hear what makes dogs tummies upset. I think we are on a long journey of trial and error. I'm looking forward to chatting with other owners.

leashedForLife likes this.
  2. JoanneF

JoanneF Well-Known Member Registered

Welcome. Thinking of his tummy problems, how long have you had Drift? What are you feeding and have you changed this at all? And has the vet done any tests on his stool for parasites? Sorry for all the questions!

3. Mad Murphy

Mad Murphy Well-Known Member Registered

The list of what can upset them is a long one. Best as @JoanneF says get a vet check if you havent already just to make sure there are no medical issues. Then ist a case of trial and error. We now know that Murphy cant have chicken or beef but hes fine with lamb fish or goose a bit of goat now and then is ok too. But each dog differs so take it one step at a time and dont make too many drastic or sudden changes.

4. arealhuman

arealhuman Well-Known Member Registered

Welcome. I hope you sort the tummy problems :)

5. Drift's Owner

Thanks so much. We have had 3 vet visits, tests, antibiotics. He is better, but not great. I suspect as a stray he probably ate way too much contaminated junk. Good to know that even chicken can make your dog upset. Everyone has been recommending chicken and rice - which sounds like a nightmare for Murphy! I'm thinking of starting a dog food diary.

Mad Murphy likes this.
  6. Drift's Owner

Thanks! We are still working on it, but it doesn't seem to make him any less happy!

7. Mad Murphy

Mad Murphy Well-Known Member Registered

A dog diary is a great idea. Note where you walk and if there are any changes. Thats how we realised that Murphy reacts to freshly mown grass too.. Its only the day that they mow the grass, after a day or so hes ok but I keep a supply of meds ready and know I only have to give them when the mowers are active.

leashedForLife and Violet Turner like this.
  8. Drift's Owner

Thanks so much. We walk him in an open park with deer etc. So I am taking this into account too.

Mad Murphy and leashedForLife like this.
  9. Drift's Owner

Hi, he was a stray, so I am guessing he ate anything and everything he could get his hands on. So we are trying to keep him on simple diet...rice, boiled chicken, soft grain free wet meat etc. We have good days and bad days. He was diagnosed with a bacteria and has been on antibiotics for 2 weeks.

10. leashedForLife

leashedForLife Well-Known Member Registered

As he’s already on antiBs, i’d ask the vet if probiotics are OK *with* the specific antiB, as they vary - some it’s absolutely not, it affects the Rx efficacy, others it’s fine. Best to check. :)
    If he cannot have live probiotics WITH the Rx, even 4 or more hours apart, i’d Definitely follow the full course of antiBs with daily or even twice daily probiotics, for a week to 10 days post Rx.

RenewLife is an excellent brand, they have several high-potency formulas - do be aware that all high-potency probiotics *must* be refrigerated, tho, even B4 they are opened; each capsule is warranted to contain BILLIONS of live microbes, & they start to die at room-temp.
    Amazon-U.K. carries their whole line.

I can also recommend RenewLife’s
    digestive enzymes - they have a wonderful UltraDigest capsule with every imaginable protease, the capsule is veg gelatin, no animal / nonhuman testing, etc.
    I have used both in humans & nonhumans with very good results- as ever, I don’t get a dime or any consideration for my referral, I have used them & they worked well. :)

- terry

11. leashedForLife

leashedForLife Well-Known Member Registered

I would also try a different “bland diet” than chicken & rice - I don’t know how to copy/ paste links on this iPad yet, but I’ve already posted a link in a prior thread a few months back, to a vet’s column explaining why turkey (ground) & canned plain pumpkin (commercially processed pumpkin purée) is much superior to white rice & chkn-breast / hamburger.
    The vet in Q worked for years in a vet E/R (out of hours / emergency referral practice), & thinks that pumpkin purée is the divinely intended soother for irritated GI tracts, plus a gentle laxative, & the best bulk- fiber option ever.

If U search for “pumpkin purée “ in quotes, with my user-name as the poster, it should pop right up. :)
    (Conversely, could a kind fellow-member post the link? — thank U very much. :) )

- terry

12. JudyN

JudyN Well-Known Member Registered

Is this the correct post, @leashedForLife ?