The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

New Pup

saska

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi

we are about to get a whippet pup he should be about 16 weeks when we get him.

We have 2 cats and a young baby about 20 months by the time he comes.

Anyone got any advice

We have never had a whippet before!!

Thanks

Sas

My advice would be get a crate and crate train him .

My advice is to enjoy it!! Get a crate for the times when you, your baby and the cats aslell as the pup need some time out :thumbsup:

Welcome to K9 - you'll get loads of imfo on here about whippies

Biggest bit of advice is to get some pictures on here double quick time...as soon as you get some :thumbsup:

Not really got any advice as we have just got our first whippet not long ago but just thought i would tell you that we have a 15 month old baby and a 17 week old whippet. Wasnt sure about getting the pup at first with having such a young baby but we have had him 6 weeks now and my son and the dog are best of friends already. like people have said its best to get a crate as our whippet is now toilet trained so we have no need to worry of the pup leaving his business on the floor and our son walking in it.

Hope all goes well and hope to see pics very soon

jkbjackson said:
Not really got any advice as we have just got our first whippet not long ago but just thought i would tell you that we have a 15 month old baby and a 17 week old whippet. Wasnt sure about getting the pup at first with having such a young baby but we have had him 6 weeks now and my son and the dog are best of friends already. like people have said its best to get a crate as our whippet is now toilet trained so we have no need to worry of the pup leaving his business on the floor and our son walking in it.
Hope all goes well and hope to see pics very soon

aww thats great that they're getting on so well :thumbsup:

Hi

thanks for your advice.

I now need to get a dog crate. We are in Aberdeen anyone reccommend anywhere?

Also what size?

Thanks

saska said:
Hi
we are about to get a whippet pup he should be about 16 weeks when we get him.

We have 2 cats and a young baby about 20 months by the time he comes.

Anyone got any advice

We have never had a whippet before!!

Thanks

Sas

We are in perthshire and we got ours from the local pet shop. We also looked in the big pets at home place, and you could order online too.

We got a crate that was too small for our first whippet, so maybe try for the medium sized one...or then again go for a big one because as you'll notice on here, it's quite hard to stop a one whippet because they are so lovely...it makes you want more!

Buy a big throw to put over it at night so it's dark and cosy. Some bedding and a nice toy to snuggle up to and you'll be nearly there.

Good luck and enjoy your pup- they grow up so quickly. :thumbsup:

Don't forget to post some photo's too! ;)

Make sure there are some safe places for the cats to escape to - high up is good. The pup is bound to chase them at first and you will have to train him/her not to.

I bought one of those puppy playpens that come in eight sections and it has been invaluable for screening off places I didn't want my pup to go. I haven't used it much as a playpen, but have used (and still use) the sections separately and in pairs. You can protect electrics, for example, or bookcases :eek: , and also put them across doorways or stairs, a bit like a kiddy gate.

Good luck, I'll bet you will have loads of fun with your pup.

Welcome to K9... good to hear there's some more northern whippets! :thumbsup:

I have 2 whippets, 6 cats and a Millie (a 21 month old)... and a few other creatures.

My best advice is always say NO to the puppy chasing the cat and praise when it's being 'nice' and calm and always have a cat escape route (just someplace high so they can look down on the 'silly' puppy with great distain!). Mine all get on really well now and even the older cats accept and, dare I say, like :huggles: the whippets.

You'll probably find you're training your baby as much as the whippet... our Millie likes to try to sit on them... they're very wise to her and move as soon as they see her reversing across the room with intent!

I'll send you a pm with a link to the crate we bought...

Hello! :D

Can't wait to see pics of your pup!

Erm if nobody told you already..... they are MAD! :lol:

Only thing I can think of to say is that our Poppy, 17 weeks, is quite 'bitey' at the moment, and her teeth are really sharp, might be something to watch out for with your baby.

:luck:

Hi

thanks everyone for your advice.

The more i read the more i think what am i letting myself in for :) :thumbsup:

They sound mad.

Although i think all my animals over the years have been a bit mad i think i just attract them. :blink:

We are very excited and will probably be posting lots on here for advice.

:wacko:

Sas

doggy182 said:
Hello!  :D Can't wait to see pics of your pup!

Erm if nobody told you already..... they are MAD!  :lol:

Only thing I can think of to say is that our Poppy, 17 weeks, is quite 'bitey' at the moment, and her teeth are really sharp, might be something to watch out for with your baby.

:luck:

saska said:
The more i read the more i think what am i letting myself in for :) :thumbsup:
They sound mad.
You got that right :lol:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back