The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

New puppy owner

Sazzlen2012

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
First time on the forum and first time dog owner. We got our 6 month old pup on Wednesday. He is a lab cross, rehomed via the Dogs Trust.
He is great, very loving though quite needy - he struggles to be away from us for any time which I guess is understandable given he has just come to us and is young.

I'm exhausted, it's been a massive change for our family ( we have to primary school age kids and it feels like we've just got another!). One moment I think it's the best thing we've done, the next I'm wondering why we've done this! Is this feeling normal?!

Totally normal! But once you have a routine, you will wonder how you lived without him.

This graphic may be helpful to understand how he is feeling.

download.png

Reactions: RGC
Well done that you have re homed an unwanted puppy you should be very proud of yourself. Give him a chance he will settle in and be part of your family giving you lots of love and happiness. He’s only a baby so will need you to give him love and security. Love from the Basset Hounds

Reactions: RGC
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new pup. Don't think of it as exhausting - rather, 'more fun than you ever imagined you could possibly squeeze into one day'

Completely normal feeling, it’s honestly like having another child but keep persevering and he’ll be the best thing that ever happened. Things will calm down, and remember that positive reinforcement is key!

I was exactly the same when I got my puppy a year ago - totally overwhelmed and wondered what I had done. With me I was fine for the first few weeks as I knew it would be hard - it was a few weeks later it really hit me and I don’t have any children to worry about either! I am going to say it’s still hard now - Freddie hasn’t had the best start in life health wise but I love him to bits and wouldn’t be without him.

Should you look back over our situation when we adopted Mabel you’ll see a parallel - so many issues but she’s through all of those. Just give it time and gentle patience.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back