The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

New puppy owner

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Sazzlen2012, Jun 5, 2022.

1. Sazzlen2012

Sazzlen2012 New Member Registered

First time on the forum and first time dog owner. We got our 6 month old pup on Wednesday. He is a lab cross, rehomed via the Dogs Trust.
    He is great, very loving though quite needy - he struggles to be away from us for any time which I guess is understandable given he has just come to us and is young.

I'm exhausted, it's been a massive change for our family ( we have to primary school age kids and it feels like we've just got another!). One moment I think it's the best thing we've done, the next I'm wondering why we've done this! Is this feeling normal?!

2. JoanneF

JoanneF Well-Known Member Registered

Totally normal! But once you have a routine, you will wonder how you lived without him.

This graphic may be helpful to understand how he is feeling.

download.png

RGC likes this.
  3. Summer Morse

Summer Morse Member Registered

Well done that you have re homed an unwanted puppy you should be very proud of yourself. Give him a chance he will settle in and be part of your family giving you lots of love and happiness. He’s only a baby so will need you to give him love and security. Love from the Basset Hounds

RGC likes this.
  4. JudyN

JudyN Moderator Moderator Registered

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new pup. Don't think of it as exhausting - rather, 'more fun than you ever imagined you could possibly squeeze into one day'

RGC, Hemlock and Victoria2504 like this.
  5. Victoria2504

Victoria2504 New Member Registered

Hi same here! New puppy owner and feeling the same as you but I know its short lived how we're feeling. X

Rosa22 and Sazzlen2012 like this.
  6. Rosa22

Rosa22 New Member Registered

Completely normal feeling, it’s honestly like having another child but keep persevering and he’ll be the best thing that ever happened. Things will calm down, and remember that positive reinforcement is key!

7. Cath S

Cath S Member Registered

I was exactly the same when I got my puppy a year ago - totally overwhelmed and wondered what I had done. With me I was fine for the first few weeks as I knew it would be hard - it was a few weeks later it really hit me and I don’t have any children to worry about either! I am going to say it’s still hard now - Freddie hasn’t had the best start in life health wise but I love him to bits and wouldn’t be without him.

Mayblossom likes this.
  8. RGC

RGC Well-Known Member Registered

Should you look back over our situation when we adopted Mabel you’ll see a parallel - so many issues but she’s through all of those. Just give it time and gentle patience.