The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

New Rescue Dog - 1 week later - have we been doing it all wrong?

Discussion in 'General Dog Forum' started by LeanneBeats, May 2, 2021.

1. Hemlock

Hemlock Well-Known Member Registered

I'd just like to add that for some shy dogs the clicker is too loud. It's okay to make a click in your mouth, or click with a biro, or make a completely different mouth sound. Dogs have incredible hearing, so the sound you make can be very soft.

JoanneF likes this.
  2. RGC

RGC Active Member Registered

For what it’s worth, I use a small plastic pill jar to contain M’s treats. Makes a click when opened or closed - gets her attention.

3. CoCo2014

CoCo2014 Member Registered

Karen Pryor's I Clicks aren't loud & can be used in your palm, under foot. She also has a ring clicker that fits on your finger, useful as you don't have to hold them. I hate box clickers & other loud clickers.

4. RGC

RGC Active Member Registered

Sounds like some event and/or routine in his past is triggering this. We’ve just had a similar experience. Drove down to the beach carpark. Thought it was a bit wind chilly so decided to put her into a light coat which meant taking off her harness. She wasn’t happy - once the harness came off and I tried to get her into her coat she slipped away and it was a job to get her back. She was shivering and anxious - an experience we had when we were handed her on our very first meeting. A throwback from her past. Once she was in her coat and harness AND on the beach the world was a lovely place and she was back to her ‘normal’ self.

5. Flobo

Flobo Well-Known Member Registered Partner

I have to agree re the chatting to your dog, it's something I've always done. Though my daughter voiced her concerns once when she was out with me, saying she got that I talked to my dogs but was worried that I also answered for them and they all had different voices!:rolleyes: feels perfectly natural to me:D
    It sounds like you are doing a great job, slowly slowly, one lucky rescue dog to have found a patient, understanding home, lovely!

Shay, Biker John and Finsky like this.
  6. JoanneF

JoanneF Well-Known Member Registered

That's normal though, right?

Flobo, Biker John and Finsky like this.
  7. JudyN

JudyN Moderator Moderator Registered

I often speak for Jasper: 'Daddy, why are you stupid, Daddy?' and 'Muuum, Daddy's wandered off again - you need to keep him on lead till you've trained him properly.' Mr N can't complain to me, as it's not me saying it but Jasper, and he can't complain to Jasper because - well - he's Jasper :D

I also do the voice-over for Jasper doing his Michael Caine impersonation.

Are we getting a bit close to weird yet? :confused:

Flobo likes this.
  8. JacksDad

JacksDad Active Member Registered

seems perfectly normal to me

Finsky and Biker John like this.
  9. JacksDad

JacksDad Active Member Registered

nice tip.

though we should keep in mind, even soft clicks can be too much for a dog that is easily started or find sounds startling or aversive.

If the use of a clicker is not possible, we can still train effectively. because fear is what I work with a lot, I can't remember the last time I did use a clicker.

Bottom line, work the dog in front of you. Do not get tunnel vision on what the training protocols say...focus on the underlying principles, apply them in the way the dog in front of you needs in order to not trigger escape and avoidance behaviors.

Biker John and Hemlock like this.
  10. Shay

Shay New Member Registered

I have loved reading this all the advice is great
    I have rescued 7 greyhounds all are different
    i do have a crate for them its there place No one is allowed to
    mess with them in there space grand kids are banned if they
    Wont accept that dogs first,kids after.
    reading this has made me feel I'm not the
    only one talks to the dog its been great
    as for your fur baby you are doing just great

Finsky likes this.