The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

New rescue whippet

RGC

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Took on a 3 year old rescue in November 2019. Initially very nervous of people especially men. She’s now much better although she has the occasional set back as if she’s experiencing a flashback. Even with me (a male) my approach has to be subtle. She doesn’t seem to understand the sit command even when dangling a treat above her. Attempts to gently get her to sit are a complete failure - it’s as tho’ she’s been made to sit by someone force to her back.
A very positive advance is the car - at first she would drool, shake and eventually throw up. At last she associates the car with happy events, walks, meeting other dogs - fun things. She has one helluva lot of problems but I hope we’ll get there (during my lifetime!).

Maybe she finds a sit uncomfortable? To be honest, it's not a behaviour worth stressing about (I'm sure you aren't, just since you mention it)

Long-backed dogs find 'sit' uncomfortable, and deep-chested dogs find the same with 'down'. Really, neither is necessary. I have had a number of lurchers (long backs, deep chests) and I teach them to 'stand'.

It could also be that your dog has been put in a 'sit' and then punished. It's amazing how many people do this.

Does she ever sit of her own accord? Sighthounds often find sitting uncomfortable, and some physically can't do it. My sighthound will sit on cue, but he thinks of it as a 'party trick', if you like - as soon as I say 'good boy' or give him the treat, he's up again. Just focus on cues like 'wait' or 'down', which will serve the same purpose.

If she ever sits of her own accord, you could try rewarding the action and saying the word. Then she might put two and two together and offering the behaviour.

Cross-posted with Hemlock!

Thank you for your response. Yes, she does sit voluntarily. It’s just a matter of our responding in time. She understands “wait” and will react accordingly. I like to think that we’re quite au fait with whippets and their traits having had two rescued waifs before (now gone to that pet shop in the sky). They both understood “sit”, “stay”, “down” and “wait” but God knows what this one’s gone through. Once again, big thanks.

Maybe she finds a sit uncomfortable? To be honest, it's not a behaviour worth stressing about (I'm sure you aren't, just since you mention it)

You’re quite right - it’s not a big issue - more trying to get her to connect with me. Believe me, I’ve never raised my voice to her. When she’s doing (or has done) something wrong she gets “Oh dear, was that a good idea?” in a subdued tone which she does pick up.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back