The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

New To Forums + Have Lc Question

PH-Piper

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi everyone!

My name is Ronnie and I live in Ottawa,Ontario CANADA. I have a 16 month old Pharaoh Hound and her name is Piper. I would like to start coursing her but she needs to be certified first. problem is, I've been told that she could be deemed ineligible because she likes to chase dogs so much she may not choose to chase the lure. She also tends to nip at tails/hind legs & backs of necks while doing so. Not in a mean way mind you, but she does like to play rough. She has a correction collar for when we are out at the(off leash)dog park. So it's controllable there, but without the collar on she tends to revert back to it and doesn't always listen when we tell her to stop. Also hard to do when she is 50+ yards away without the collar. She has been through training after training but still does this.

Anyone have any ideas on how to stop her from doing this? She loves to run so much! and I think she would be a great courser if she would leave the other dog(s) alone...

Thanks

:unsure:

Hi Ronnie :D

My hounds love their lure coursing but it always takes a few times before they become "obsessed" with the lure.

Once you have achieved this, then you should find that Piper only has eyes for that bit of rag and the other dogs will pale into insignificance :thumbsup:

Can you take her to some meetings and let her watch? - that should get her focussing on the right thing - and if you can go somewhere to practice, that is even better :D

We like to muzzle our lure coursers in this country - it pays to keep them all safe. Once again, when they get to "lure crazy" stage they won't notice the muzzle and you can take it off straight after she has run.

Good luck with introducing Piper and getting her certified .......... I'm sure she'll love it :D ......... got any pictures of her? :))

Hi Ronnie :D
My hounds love their lure coursing but it always takes a few times before they become "obsessed" with the lure.

Once you have achieved this, then you should find that Piper only has eyes for that bit of rag and the other dogs will pale into insignificance :thumbsup:

I can only hope!

Can you take her to some meetings and let her watch? - that should get her focussing on the right thing - and if you can go somewhere to practice, that is even better

There are 2 coming up that are close by. One in June(but she might entered for at a dog show) and again in September. Practice...I can't think of anyplace I can take her... Curiously enough, when she is at a dog show she ignores the other dogs in the ring. They aren't moving fast enough to grab her attention! LOL

We like to muzzle our lure coursers in this country - it pays to keep them all safe. Once again, when they get to "lure crazy" stage they won't notice the muzzle and you can take it off straight after she has run.

But how do I practice with another dog to see what she will do? If she chases the other dog while trying to be certified and or bites it she'll be booted. She will only get 2 chances before she will be ineligble to course

Good luck with introducing Piper and getting her certified .......... I'm sure she'll love it :D ......... got any pictures of her?

Thanks. I know she would love chasing the lure but she may want to chase the other dog(s) as well. Silly girl!

Thanks for replying

This is Piper last Summer at the dog park.

PiperInSun09.jpg

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back