The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

New To Showing

GemmaT

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi everyone,

Im thinking of getting into showing (haven told Pimms yet!). Can anyone give me any tips/recommend any books that I would find useful?

Idiot proof please! I have no experience of showing AT ALL!

:cheers:

Thanks

Gemma and Pimms

Hi Gemma - whereabouts are you located. I never did find any books that were of any use. My best advice came from whippet people and from ringcraft classes.

If you let us know where you are someone may be able to point you in the direction of a local training class, or anyone who's close enough might be willing to get together for a session or two.

Wendy

chelynnah said:
Hi Gemma - whereabouts are you located.  I never did find any books that were of any use.  My best advice came from whippet people and from ringcraft classes. 
If you let us know where you are someone may be able to point you in the direction of a local training class, or anyone who's close enough might be willing to get together for a session or two.

Wendy

This is exactly what I did. Books are great, but they can't physically stand there and give you feedback on how you have placed your dog etc.

Also, try and go to as many shows as you possibly can, the dog papers are good for this, Our Dogs and Dog World. At the back of each they have sections dedicated to all the upcoming shows. There is nothing better than watching the professionals doing their thing (w00t)

If you are brave (unlike me :b ) you will be able to approach people and just get chatting. The one thing I have found is that generally the "whippet" people are very helpful and gracious on the whole, compared to other circuits.

If you are as lucky as I was, you will be smiled at by someone welcoming who will then entice you into conversation and become your mentor. They will be a never ending source of information and inspiration :thumbsup:

Take it all on board, listen to and watch everyone, but try and stay true to your gut instincts. you will soon discover whether you and your dog like the show scene. I was also quite fortunate to find a ring craft club (by asking on K9)which had some whippet owners who had been round the block a few times (w00t) so that helped!

Good luck, but be warned, once you start you can't stop :- "

Who bred Pimms? You could ask them for some advice, they are probably the best person to advise you and get the best out of your new hobby :D

Where in Scotland are you? I am in Dunbar but can probably advise you on someone near you if I know the location. A training class will be really helpful to start with, the SKC would give you a list of these, phone 0131 665 3920.

If you are anywhere near it is the Whippet Club of Scotland Championship show on 10 June at the Morton Hall Newmilns in Ayrshire, that is the place to meet people and find out more.

TC said:
I was also quite fortunate to find a ring craft club (by asking on K9)which had some whippet owners who had been round the block a few times  (w00t) so that helped!

STEADY!! There's no need to talk about Millie like that!!! (w00t) :lol: LOL!! :thumbsup:

[Gosh thanks for all this!

:))

Will try to get some books to look at , 3 weeks till Pimms is jabbed up anyway so a bit of a hold on things!

We are in Perthshire so very central. The show sounds fun, we might go along to watch as I know we will have missed the entry date by now. :oops:

Pimms was bred by a breeder in Dumfries called Mr Stirling, they dont show their dogs but apparenlty one of her sisters (a blue) has gone to a showing home down south :D

Gemma :thumbsup:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back