The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

New to showing

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I have to disagree with you Whippetier, about not getting friendly with other Whippet owners, what else are you supposed to do to alleviate the boredom of standing waiting to be seen in a never-ending Limit class?! Seriously though, I have made some very good friends in Whippets, most of us novices who all started showing around the same time, and I can honestly say, that no-one in the breed has ever given me cause to say that I want nothing to do with them.

My dog Alfie is my first Whippet, who I thought would be fun to try my hand at showing with. He has surpassed all my expectations, gaining his stud book number, best in shows and, out of 3 visits to Crufts, he has 2 firsts and a second place to his credit. Along the way, we have beaten some of the top people in the breed, most say "well done", some don't but none have ever turned nasty, why should they?

I love showing, but know my limitations, my dog won't ever be a champion, but I'll still enjoy showing him in the future.

Good Luck if you do decide to show again, Liz

:) With the topic, I thought I'd add a bit from "this side of the pond".  I began showing as a child, so can only say that I was always helped and welcomed - mind that was over 30 years ago now, but I can say that as far as newcomers now are concerned, I find that the U.S. breeders/exhibitors are  more welcoming then Canadian exhibitors - we have so few here in Canada, but they are welcomed always IF they are serious about whippets and learning of the breed.  I think the only "newcomers" who are not welcome by anyone, be it in North America or even in Britain would be someone who comes into the breed as an "instant expert" - and we all know that they exist.  The other consideration is how long they stay - when you have someone who has been through several breeds in several years and will probably disappear again as soon as the winning stops, it can change your otherwise welcoming nature.  I have helped several newcomers over the last few decades and I'm happy to say that most have stayed in the breed and remain good friends to this day.

I have just bought two Whippet pups and would like to show but do not know where to start they are five months old. What should I be donig and who do I ask for help.

Thanks.  ???

I have to admire anyone that shows or races any dogs not just whippets. I have two and had never shown before and thought I would give it a go, what an easy thing to say. My whippets are going to stay as pets, as I never put the time and effort in that was needed. Also my one pup was injured (by another dog )and that set us back several weeks because of trips to the vets etc, so we missed vital match nights where we could prepare for the big day, and when we did go my dog that had been attacked was petrified, it took him two hours to come around to thinking it wasn't a bad place after all. That is when we found where and when thethe match nights were held. My whippets will stand for a few seconds and thats it. The one sits down and refuses to do anything, except play. So well done everyone that shows, when you win you and your dogs deserve it.

Don't give up after only one try!  My pups never behave at their first show - come to that Eloise is nearly 12 months and made a real fool of me at our last show!  Persevere for a bit longer.  I'm sure there will be lots of Whippet people at the shows you go to, who will be happy to help if you ask.  (Some of us are wary about offering help/advice as it is not always appreciated - but will gladly do so if asked! ) One day it will all come together, and whether you win or not on that day it will feel great! :)

Shane

If you are honestly interested in giving it a go, then go for it.  All of us have had our bad experiences!!  I'm new in the past year to showing - and believe me our first few shows were an absolute disaster!!

Our first show she did a 'lie down protest' and wouldn't get off the ground.  The second show (in front of her breeder and her sire's breeder) she went round the ring on two legs!! (while her sister took 3rd!)

She is only now - at almost 17 months - really 'getting it'.  She has done well the past few months, but it's just coming together for her now.

Enter yours in some fun shows, exemption shows, open shows.  Take them to ringcraft to get used to the environment of having to behave round other dogs.  Make contact with people who will help you - or may meet up with you at shows so you don't feel so alone.

The whippet community has been wonderful!  When my girl rolled in an exploded pen and had a HUGE purple stripe down her just as she went into the ring - people I didn't even know came to my aid!  I don't think there's been one person who hasn't been helpful in one way or another.

Don't let this one experience put you off - give them and yourself some time.  Even if you do it just for fun, it's a great time. (and you get to meet tons of other whippets)

Wendy

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back