The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

New To The Forum

Cyrus01

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I just wanted to say hello to everyone. In a few weeks I will be going to look at retired

greyhounds. A friend of mine has 3, and she says they make great companions. Also I

will be doing my bit to help these beautiful dogs from being put to sleep. This will be my 1st dog, and I will be getting help from my friend. Any advice for a new dog owner?

I just wanted to say hello to everyone. In a few weeks I will be going to look at retiredgreyhounds. A friend of mine has 3, and she says they make great companions. Also I

will be doing my bit to help these beautiful dogs from being put to sleep. This will be my 1st dog, and I will be getting help from my friend. Any advice for a new dog owner?
welcome. Every forever home is a blessing.x

Hi there, welcome to K9 :) Good Luck in re-homing a rescued Greyhound :luck: Hope you find the perfect companion :thumbsup:

Kirsty

hi we had a retired greyhound for 8 years so faithfull and loving :wub: :wub:

the only thing is when you get one you,ll want an other good luck with her/him :)) :) )

sue les max&smoke x x

After many years of having Jack Russells and LabX's (I lost my last LabX when he was 16 years old) I decided I had had enough of diggers and dirty puddle worshipers, so I thought, Greyhounds are nice clean dogs and so many need homes.

It was the best decission I made. So clean and kind and not at all boring. I resently lost my first Greyhound Joy, who I have to admit must have been the most perfect dog in every way. She never chased a cat or rabbit, don't get me wrong she would love to have chased but she was so good I only had to say no and she would look away. Squirrels, I couldn't stop her chasing squirrels.

I still have my second Greyhound (it is true if you have one you will want a second) Dec, he is also gentle and kind but will chase anything. I still have to put him on a lead if I can see any small dogs in the distance. Better to be sure. The thing is though, they don't mind being on the lead and are very gentle to walk. He is a joker as well, always laughing, you can see it all over his face. We also have a small Corgi X something (my son found this one locked up in a shed starving). Now he and Dec will chase each other on the beach, but Reggie is boss and if Dec becomes to over confidant and trys to trip him, Reggie will let Dec know to stop. They are real pals and cuddle and kiss all the time.

Good Luck with your new friend, you will not be dissapointed. Just remember they have been trained to chase for the past 2000 years so be patient if he is a chaser and be aware of your surroundings as some have never seen things which we take for :) granted. For example traffic. :)

I probably will end up with 2. I couldnt help myself, and I fell in love with a male and female.

They get along great, which will be a plus. We are all working together to make sure these dogs will be able to adapt to their new situation. We recently took them to the beach, and watched them run, wow, it was incredible to watch their speed. I know I will have to walk them often, which is not a problem for me, since I am currently working from home. I have a poker forum, which keeps me occupied. I make a fair amount of money from my affiliate programs.

Hello and welcome.As you can see from my pics,i have a Retired Greyhound,2 Greyhound crosses and a beddy greyhound cross.You will never look back.My last Greyhound passed away in May,but we recently took on our gorgeous girl,Daisy,who is a real sweetheart.

Good luck when you get your new addition.

Amandaxx

Hi and welcome to the forum. You won't go wrong with a greyhound, they are the most amazing breed. Good luck with everything, anytime you need any advice you will find lots of knowledgeable people on here to help. My only advice would be to really take your time to find the perfect greyhound to suit you and your circumstances. Don't fall for a pretty one with the wrong energy level. Sometimes the most ordinary looking ones have the greatest personality. Just take your time, it's a big decision. Also remember to be patient when your chosen dog comes home. It's a big transition moving from kennels to a home environment and they can take time to adjust....however it won't be long before they start to enjoy home comforts and take over your sofa! :) Also, no responsible racing greyhound owner would ever put a healthy animal down, don't believe all the hype about zillions of them being put down, there are a few bad apples but most of us are loving caring people who always find good homes for our retired dogs. :)

Vicky

x

Thanks everyone. I got to spend some more time with the greyhounds. They are both couch potatoes. The both like sitting with me while watching TV. I am going through a training and getting familiar routine, so far so good. I can't wait until I can get then home.

Hallo and welcome :D

Anyone who rehomes a needy dog is an angel o:) o:) :thumbsup:

Well done to you :D

Hi and welcome to the forum. You won't go wrong with a greyhound, they are the most amazing breed. Good luck with everything, anytime you need any advice you will find lots of knowledgeable people on here to help. My only advice would be to really take your time to find the perfect greyhound to suit you and your circumstances. Don't fall for a pretty one with the wrong energy level. Sometimes the most ordinary looking ones have the greatest personality. Just take your time, it's a big decision. Also remember to be patient when your chosen dog comes home. It's a big transition moving from kennels to a home environment and they can take time to adjust....however it won't be long before they start to enjoy home comforts and take over your sofa! :) Also, no responsible racing greyhound owner would ever put a healthy animal down, don't believe all the hype about zillions of them being put down, there are a few bad apples but most of us are loving caring people who always find good homes for our retired dogs. :)
Vicky

x
This is such good advice for anyone else reading ( Cyrus01 seems to be sorted :) ) I volunteer at a greyhound rescue and we see all the pretty ones come and go quite quickly but the black ones take a little longer so we get to know them better. It is so hard to choose when faced with a line of similar looking dogs but these 'more ordinary' looking dogs often seem to have very gentle and special personalities.

And we just took delivery of two dogs whose trainer had driven all the way up from Suffolk to St Helens because he heard we had space to rehome two more. They weren't even his own dogs (he keeps his) but had driven them up for the owners. So, yes, there are nice people out there!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back