The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

New whippet mum

Jane Birks

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi I am new to this forum and a new whippet mum!
Having previously had an old labrador who we sadly said goodbye to last year we were brave and decided to have a puppy as my husband is home all day now and took the plunge!
Milly is now 8 months old and is a real sweetheart. She makes us laugh every day - as well as curse a bit
I'd be interested in any views on building her ability to be on her own. She is brilliant at night but we have nicknamed her the whimpet - she is a typical wimpy whippet and is like a limpet!!!

Welcome - the forum's being overrun by whippets - and I for one am not complaining!

My dog had separation anxiety which took a long time to fix - but then I didn't always get it right. I wrote an article about it on another forum, which led to a long thread. You can read it here: Separation anxiety - Positively | Victoria Stilwell | Forum

The summary, really, is baby steps. If you can't even put your shoes on without her getting anxious, don't think about opening the door. If you can't open the door... don't go through it. If you can actually leave her for 5 seconds - hurrah! Soon you'll be able to leave her for 10 seconds, then 20, then 40... it might be a while before you have time to do anything while you're out, but it will be worth it in the long run.

Welcome - the forum's being overrun by whippets - and I for one am not complaining!

My dog had separation anxiety which took a long time to fix - but then I didn't always get it right. I wrote an article about it on another forum, which led to a long thread. You can read it here: Separation anxiety - Positively | Victoria Stilwell | Forum

The summary, really, is baby steps. If you can't even put your shoes on without her getting anxious, don't think about opening the door. If you can't open the door... don't go through it. If you can actually leave her for 5 seconds - hurrah! Soon you'll be able to leave her for 10 seconds, then 20, then 40... it might be a while before you have time to do anything while you're out, but it will be worth it in the long run.
Thanks I'll take a look x

Hi and welcome!
I'm lucky my boy's don't ever get left alone. Tried it with Marley our oldest and the whole street heard him! So after a few tries we gave in and took him everywhere with us. I think now he would be ok, as we did little steps like leaving the room for a moment when he was settled and increasing the time.
Whippets can be left alone I know plenty that do. So it can be done lol
And your whippet is beautiful!

Hi and welcome!
I'm lucky my boy's don't ever get left alone. Tried it with Marley our oldest and the whole street heard him! So after a few tries we gave in and took him everywhere with us. I think now he would be ok, as we did little steps like leaving the room for a moment when he was settled and increasing the time.
Whippets can be left alone I know plenty that do. So it can be done lol
And your whippet is beautiful!
Thank you for your reply.
We are using a camera linked to phone and leaving her for very short period of time - she whimpers on and off and wanders back and to from the door but we come back while she is quiet. We had managed about an hour no problem before she was spayed but she got very clingy as we were so watchful after her op. She went through a phase of being extremely fretful.
She rarely needs to be alone but there are occasions when we may need to leave her and don't always have abother family member to stay with her! !!! We have a crate but so far never actually shut the door - we are about to build that up with us in the room as I'm sure if we left her in it she would totally freak.
Any tips or advice would be welcome.

Does she need to be shut in the crate? Some dogs can feel more secure in their 'den' when left, but others find it more stressful.

Crate training isn't something I can really comment on. Tried it once for Marley he was happy enough to play in it but like @JudyN has mentioned as soon as I closed the door that was it he would cry. So I haven't used it again for any of my other 2. The only thing I can say is make it as cosy as possible and if she's happy to sleep in it at night she's doing well.

She's fine in it as a bed. We just felt the opportunity to keep her out of the way on rare occasions when non doggie friends are visiting or when trying to prepare a big meal may be useful as she tends to follow me round the kitchen - but definitely only take things slowly and no way leave her there alone.

I totally understand, mine are exactly the same. Definitely a good idea to learn her to go and settle down when you need time, the older she gets you'll find she'll go and sleep during the day more .She sounds like she's coming on great! I can't get mine of my bed lol.

An alternative to a crate if she doesn't take it is stairgates - I use them a lot!

I also had thought about a stair gate for myself, just to separate mine from the kitchen, meal times can be a handful lol

I also had thought about a stair gate for myself, just to separate mine from the kitchen, meal times can be a handful lol
We have stair gate to prevent rummaging in kids rooms on 2nd floor!! But her bed/crate is under kitchen counter so can't really shut her out it's not really a problem most of the time anyway, it's just those rare times you need to unglue yourself from your whimpet!

Mine are terrible in the kitchen well 2 are! Marley is a good boy while the other 2 work as a team grabbing what they can lol so everyone in my house gets told if you leave it in reach then it's not their fault.
I think I might just get myself a stairgate it would be great to cook without getting watched and robbed!

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back