The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Newbie Here

jwhippet

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hello I am new to this site. I am owned by Jack Whippet Esq a 9 year old salt & pepper (black and grey) whippet. Jack is a rescue who I got 2 years ago. He is a little bit of a mummies boy!

Last September, Jack and I went for a walk with our three others dogs, he is generally kept on lead but he did go off for a short run. The following day he was bit uncomfortable. The next day he was partially paralysed (all down his left side). I took him to the vet who checked him over and said he had not had a stroke so therefore he needed an xray or mri. We took him to another branch of the practice and he was xrayed. They phoned up and said the xray was clear. When I went to collect him he WALKED out of the icu as though nothing was wrong.I took him back to the first vet two days later and he and the nurses were stunned- we still dont have any idea what this was - his back and neck are fine although the left side is slower than the right on reflex tests. He is now on Seraquin and is no longer allowed to run with the other dogs

Has any one elses whippet had this problem?

Ps. Sorry my first post is a long one!

Hi jwhippet

Welcome to k9

I've never had any experience with anything like you descibe

can we have loads of pictures of Jack whippet Esq please

It sounds to me like it might possibly be a trapped nerve (or nerve damage)...2 years ago my border collie prolapsed a disc and slowly overnight lost the use of her back end , she saw a homeopathic vet and had 3 sessions of acupuncture and within a fortnight she had regained use of her back end once more and went on to make excellent progress to the point of her once again being shown and gaining best of breed .

This probably sounds much worse than whats happened to your whippet but i am making the point that acupuncture may be of help and its certainly worth considering , also i would completely rest your dog however hard that may seem but this alone might sort the problem out .

Sarah

Hello jwhippet :)

Welcome to k9.

I'm sorry I've not heard of anything like that happening either it is very bizarre :blink: the one good think to come out od though is at least Jack Whippet Esq seems to be back to normal,more or less :D

Yes, Can we see some piccies please?? He sounds like a very nice boy.

Hi Jwhippet we've had a similar experience with one of our whips we took them for a walk and when we got back Jas was feeling a bit tired so had a sleep when she woke up she couldn’t use her back legs. It was very scary we took her to the vets who gave some antibiotics and she went to sleep when we got her home. The next day she could move them a bit and over the next few days it cleared up. We think she may have eaten a bad bird egg on her walk and had a bad case of food poisoning, still done really know what happened.

hI jwhippet and welcome.

Sounds like a nerve problem to me also, which dont really show up on xray.

Our Monty lost the use of his front legs (w00t) and we thought it was PTS time. David massaged him every day and it took about a month but he is relly A1 now. I thought it was because Monty had had a good run but still always pulls like a train even on the way home and had damaged his discs in the top area of his neck.

Hello jwhippet welcome to k9 :thumbsup:

Thank you for all your replies - he is fine now but i worry it will happen again - i will try and get a picture of him on here but I am not very good at it!

Boothros I love you signature he/she is beautifull - I am on the look out for a rescue girl of that colour to keep Jack company

hello and welcome to k9 , good luck in your search for a rescue too! :thumbsup:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back