The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Nigel!!!

Kristy

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I was just wondering if you thought any more about me starting a forum?for sporting dogs or sporting group?please let me know:)

Hi Kristy,

Yes, I do want to start other forums. A Sporting dog group sounds good as does a rescue dog group. I will add these groups when I put the new site/software together - hopefully first quarter 2002.

Have a great Christmas and New Year.

Hi Nigel,

Maybe you could add a Forum for Michelle's dog Hobgoblin as Michelle keeps disrupting other threads to talk about her - Tony get her moderated will you!!!

Only Joking !!!!!!!

No really, i was thinking whilst entering a pedigree of a dog is there any chance of a pedigree sheet that we could enter in our threads and type into or would it just be easier to scan them in???

Nigel

would it be practical to have a data base of the pedigrees.I believe the kennel club record the pedigrees of registered dogs but as non-pedigrees are not registered the pedigrees tend to get passed down breeder to owner but not always fully or accuratly.I think it would be very popular !

Quote: from Tony Taylor on 8:23 pm on Jan. 1, 2002Nigel

would it be practical to have a data base of the pedigrees.=

I always wondered why no-one in the non-ped fraternity ever started one up, surely if it was something that Whippet News did they could get access to BWRA & NWRF breeding records so that newcomers to the sport who had a whippet or litter could supply breeding details with pups, stud dogs etc

The only prob with k9 having a database would be the shortage of non-ped racers/breeders who have access to the information, not that i'm knocking the idea though!!!

-----

Vicky  

Vicky

Those people with lots of old whippet news have access to more information than you might think. Apparently Malcolm Clarke is compiling such a data base although this may not be for public viewing.

As your yellow rose thread shows the information is out there - it would be useful if this was easily accesable -  the yellow rose and mallory threads will unfortunatly just get buried on the non-pedigree forum.

Tony

Hi all,

Yes, I think it would be a great idea. The only thing that's stopping me is finding the time to do it.

It's actually quite a difficult thing to do well and I would have to write some custom software to do the job. I don't think there is anything commercailly available.

I have talked to a guy in Germany and his father who have written some software that they use for Greyhound pedigrees. That could be used with modification but I haven't managed to get him to agree to give me a copy.

I'll put some more thought into it and see if anything can be put together.

Hi Nigel,

There is a collie site that has a good pedigree database, I dont know a lot about these things but if you would like to visit for some ideas, its at

http://www.wizardscastle.lu

Hi Millie,

I have previously looked at that site and their database. Yes, you are right, it is very good.

The database software was written by the site owner and at this stage anyway it isn't really possible to use that software. He is working on an update so we may be able to do something in the future.

I am investigating another possibility. I don't think the end result will be quite as good as the Collie database but it could get us all started.

Watch this space.

Thanks Tony,

Another reason to update the software.... If you make a post to the forum where all the topics have disappeared they should all come back.

On this occasion I fixed the problem from here. I try and check all the forums every day.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back