The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Nipping chewing puppy

zjh123

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi all I'm new to this, we recently became the proud owners of a staff pup that we've named Toby. We've had Toby 4 weeks now, and adore him, BUT his chewing and nipping is getting quite bad. I know that all puppies do this and it's perfectly natural, and I have been using a number of methods to try and eliminate this from

Day one. We've tried ignoring it, giving him chew toys, even time out (putting him in the kitchen for 30 seconds then letting him back in the room) but nothing seems to work. He has loads of chew toys and even tried the kong with peanut butter but he just doesn't show an interest. It's now at the point as soon as anyone walks into the room he's chewing their feet, legs, hands, and pulling at their trousers. I'm stuck as to what my next step is, as we totally adore him but this obviously something we want to nip in the bud. Any advice anyone can give would be a huge help. Thanks

Hi, and welcome to Dog Forum :)

Have you tried mustering up the biggest big girl's blouse yelp you can muster, standing up, turning your back on him, folding your arms and then ignoring him until he's calm? This should be done not when he's hurting you but at the first contact of his teeth on your skin or when he's getting to be too much of a giddy kipper and should be done very consistently by everybody who is around him so he will get the message faster that humans are not to be mouthed.

Hi eingana thanks for the reply. We have yeah that was the first method we used and at first we thought it was working but now it doesn't seem to phase him once we start ignoring him he continues to do it I'm at a total loss at what to try x

Hi folks. I'm new to the forum and I must say it has a wealth of knowledge. I'm having the same problem with my 10 week old chihuahua pup he just doesn't seem to get the message. He seems to do it more when he's excited.

I am trying to stop my puppy doing this and as horrible as it sounds "nipping" her, using your hand and a gentle but firm grab to the side or where ever you can reach, like their mum would do seems to scare her and I keep yelping at the same time. The shock of the noise and the touch she seems to think about it and doesn't like those things happening so holds back a bit. Have you started training him yet? they need to mentally simulated so maybe that might help!?

fingers crossed and if you work anything out let me know!! :)

How is this going for you?

Hopefully he has grown out of this stage?

My pup was a bogger for this! We tried the yelping technique and it helped loads. He doesn't do it anymore

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back