The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Nnwrf Racing Manager

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
this is just my opinion :- "

but if seeding was done away with ,and there was left & right runners in the heat that did'nt get there side and were disqualified for interference, the heat could be re-run 2/3 times before you got a winner. :(

from a ex-racer :- " :- " (w00t)

Last edited by a moderator:
forgot to say im not a racing manager just shop floor :D but common sence is the key :- "

weathergirls said:
milly said:
How would one seed a dog that rails from the traps, then it goes out wide coming into the second bend, then comes down the final straight in the middle of the track?Geoff

this is my own veiw

if a dog when coming out of the traps immediately goes for the rail I would class that as in inside runner there are many reasons why a dog will then go wide at the second bend i.e the speed at which it is taking the bend, the stature of the dog some dogs can't hug the rail all the way round which doesn't mean they are wide runners

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

spot on :thumbsup: seedingi.m.o.is the run up and into and through the bend.very few rail out of the second bend unless they walking . :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

marsden_john said:
I agree totally with what mutley has put it is bizare and ridiculous to judge a dogs seeding on the second bend
Hi John. :) How will you be seeding Wintermoon?

rob67 said:
Am still a little confused tho about how you might seed a dog 'extreme' Inside or Wide. What would you need to see in order to say your dog is extreme. Can Gary or Tony clarify this for me please.
thanks, chris.

I thought the idea was for these individuals to advise an owner on seeding only if the dog did the opposite of what it was supposed to do?

If owners genuinely don't know then in my eyes they shouldn't seed and discuss the matter after the race with the elected judge if they personally feel their dog should be seeded.

Owners entering the dogs who choose to seed should only be doing so if they know for sure what their dogs going to do.

I'm not sure if seeding 'extreme' is an accepted term when booking dogs in? Should I be using it? Question open to all, not specifically Gary or Tony.

`

I seed my dog inside on the bends. I don't seed him on the straights. The reason being is because he's watching the lure and knows the quickest way to get to it is to stay to the rail. Good coursing dogs also cut corners in order to gain ground on their quarry. In his eyes going round the outside of dogs roughly running the same speed as him (like is the case with scratch racing) would be giving ground to those dogs. So I don't really think he's thick for doing what he does especially when he knows he can stay tighter to the rail than the rest of the dogs running. All my dog is doing is using his abilities to his advantage because finding a gap in scratch racing is a rare occurance.

JOHNG said:
this is just my opinion :- "
but if seeding was done away with ,and there was left & right runners in the heat that did'nt get there side and were disqualified for interference, the heat could be re-run 2/3 times before you got a winner. :(

from a ex-racer :- "  :- "  (w00t)

would sort the men out from the boys 'so to speak then'....

and if they were thrown out for 'interferring'...does that not mean they would have turned their heads....??? If so-no probs-they should be thrown out.

karen

mutley said:
no disrespect to you Chris, but wont on k9 as Dee said it all gets twisted :(   taking a leaf out of the bwra book :- " and i think they do right :)   not having a dig at them  :thumbsup:   only posting as a k9 member not committee member :)) will however reply if its to do with weights times or venues  :thumbsup:
No disrespect taken but how as a member of the Fed specifically, is anyone expected to get clarity on issues that apertain to us all. I can write a letter or PM someone, but the answer will be universal, so why shouldnt it be aired in such a manner that everyone else can see and understand.

If you and tony are recognised by the fed as racing managers or the people who are responsible for helping people seed their dogs correctly then I would appreciate some clarity on how to seed dogs correctly because i want to seed my dogs, or not as the case may be, and i want to get it right.

If it's a seeding issue it needs to be understood and worked with by everyone. Maybe there could be some sort of guidance given at highgate then? perhaps on the back of the programme, not sure how it could be done, but I think it needs clarifying or those new to the sport will maybe not get the chance to understand.

If I ruffled feathers suggesting tony or gary respond then I apologise, but if you have designated people to deal with seeding I would have thought it only respectful to ask them first !Maybe the fed committee could come up with some definitions as they must have a lot of experience in seeding dogs to be able to actively try and better the sport. Same goes for the BWRA, will write to the committee if necessary, but the answers needs to be shared so as to create a fair and equal opportunity for everyone to race their dogs.

chris

friggsy said:
theres no seeding in ireland for greyhounds if youre good enough youre win from any trap especially up the straight

There was no seeding in the Uk until recently ----and i agree if the dog is good enough it can win from any trap ---and a fast trapper can make seeding look very silly----

Awake now

steve

Karen-Coral said:
friggsy said:
theres no seeding in ireland for greyhounds if youre good enough youre win from any trap especially up the straight

There was no seeding in the Uk until recently ----and i agree if the dog is good enough it can win from any trap ---and a fast trapper can make seeding look very silly----

Awake now

steve

And perhaps a slow trapper can look like a wide dog cos once he's out and his heads up there's 4 other dogs in front of him and hes gotta go wide!! ( we have yet to convince ty to trap well on the bends!)

chris

mutley said:
forgot to say im not a racing manager just shop floor :D but common sence is the key :- "
Ok. So there isn't a racing manager for the Fed anymore, but we'll have observers. Still think there needs to be clarity so everyone can sing from the same hymn book.

chris

if a dog is seeded inside and is NOT a true railer, then it will probably be a disadvantage to the dog , most dogs come inside on entering the bend, but sweep in smoothly from mid track, often maintaining there speed better.. often getting a slight advantage.....there are just as many greyhound races won from the 5 or 6 box..

rob67 said:
mutley said:
Ok. but we'll have observers. Still think there needs to be clarity so everyone can sing from the same hymn book.

chris

well Chris your a little wiser now than an hour ago EH?

So there isn't a racing manager for the Fed anymore,

steve

Karen-Coral said:
rob67 said:
mutley said:
Ok. but we'll have observers. Still think there needs to be clarity so everyone can sing from the same hymn book.

chris

well Chris your a little wiser now than an hour ago EH?

So there isn't a racing manager for the Fed anymore,

steve

If it's taken me an hour to get that bit, how long before I'm wise about seeding rules!

chris

wild whippies said:
marsden_john said:
I agree totally with what mutley has put it is bizare and ridiculous to judge a dogs seeding on the second bend
Hi John. :) How will you be seeding Wintermoon?

rob67 said:
Am still a little confused tho about how you might seed a dog 'extreme' Inside or Wide. What would you need to see in order to say your dog is extreme. Can Gary or Tony clarify this for me please.
thanks, chris.

I thought the idea was for these individuals to advise an owner on seeding only if the dog did the opposite of what it was supposed to do?

If owners genuinely don't know then in my eyes they shouldn't seed and discuss the matter after the race with the elected judge if they personally feel their dog should be seeded.

Owners entering the dogs who choose to seed should only be doing so if they know for sure what their dogs going to do.

I'm not sure if seeding 'extreme' is an accepted term when booking dogs in? Should I be using it? Question open to all, not specifically Gary or Tony.

`

I seed my dog inside on the bends. I don't seed him on the straights. The reason being is because he's watching the lure and knows the quickest way to get to it is to stay to the rail. Good coursing dogs also cut corners in order to gain ground on their quarry. In his eyes going round the outside of dogs roughly running the same speed as him (like is the case with scratch racing) would be giving ground to those dogs. So I don't really think he's thick for doing what he does especially when he knows he can stay tighter to the rail than the rest of the dogs running. All my dog is doing is using his abilities to his advantage because finding a gap in scratch racing is a rare occurance.

HI jac I will or Fiona will seed Wintermoon on the rails as that is where he will run his race on the first bend (what would happen if Dobs could not stay tighter than the dog in front of him) hopefully my dog would go on the outside and try to overtake but who knows not being able to read his mind

wild whippies said:
I thought the idea was for these individuals to advise an owner on seeding only if the dog did the opposite of what it was supposed to do?If owners genuinely don't know then in my eyes they shouldn't seed and discuss the matter after the race with the elected judge if they personally feel their dog should be seeded.

Has anyone at anytime stated there would be rules put into place? Surely the above is a common sense approach, I'd of though the judges would be there to see common sense prevailed. Might be too much to ask though!

jasper. said:
if a dog is seeded inside and is NOT a true railer, then it will probably be a disadvantage to the dog ,
I agree but not only that if said dog was in red with a genuine inside railer in blue it will severely disadvantage the genuine inside runner that not only rails round the first bend but also the second and will ultimately get pushed out through no fault of it's own.

I'm interested in Gary's statement and if there are any TRUE 1st & 2nd bend railers that will choose to run wide rail to pass another dog?? I personally don't think there are any.

I think i can count on one hand bend racers that have no preference to where they pass and which side they pass on - none of those dogs are seeded.

Last edited by a moderator:
can anyone ansa this 4 me please? years ago am i right in thinking u cudnt seed inside but u cud if u were wide? I may b wrong but if im right when did seeding on the rails come in?also when did this (ridiculous imo) extreme seeding come in?

marsden_john said:
HI jac I will or Fiona will seed Wintermoon on the rails as that is where he will run his race on the first bend (what would happen if Dobs could not stay tighter than the dog in front of him) hopefully my dog would go on the outside and try to overtake but who knows not being able to read his mind
Hiya,

It was a genuine question about Wintermoon after you said on Thursday you didn't know whether he ran inside or not. Just wondered if you'd made a decision that's all.

Regarding Dobs, he'd hold back, providing the dog in front didn't slow down. It's been a common sight when him and Turkish have ran together as both dogs run very similar.

wild whippies said:
wild whippies said:

Has anyone at anytime stated there would be rules put into place? Surely the above is a common sense approach, I'd of though the judges would be there to see common sense prevailed. Might be too much to ask though!

Think it might be useful to have guidelines, rules whatever you might want to call them otherwise how will people know they have the option to seed?

chris

wild whippies said:
marsden_john said:
Hiya,

It was a genuine question about Wintermoon after you said on Thursday you didn't know whether he ran inside or not. Just wondered if you'd made a decision that's all.

Regarding Dobs, he'd hold back, providing the dog in front didn't slow down. It's been a common sight when him and Turkish have ran together as both dogs run very similar.

Not really what Isaid you said my dog had been started on the inside of your dog the week before he started on the outside I then asked you could he go on the inside because he also runs the rail to which you replied are you sure he finished his race on the inside of dobs never moveing off the rail

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back