The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Norfolk Lurcher Club

milly

Who's Y Daddy?
Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Is there still a Norfolk Lurcher Club? had some great days out in the 80s & early 90s at places like North Tuddenham, Cromer Hall, Swaffham, met some nice people at these shows. Richard Todd, Brian Ringham, John Bromley, Stan Byes,

Anna Delamere

I don't know about the lurcher club but Stan & John are still going strong, in fact they're both judging this weekend, Stan at the New Forest & John at Cholmondley, unless anything has changed. :lol:

The Jack Russell Club of East Anglia covers that area & have lurcher owners as members.

Last edited by a moderator:
mao said:
I don't know about the lurcher club but Stan & John are still going strong, in fact they're both judging this weekend, Stan at the New Forest & John at Cholmondley, unless anything has changed.  :lol: The Jack Russell Club of East Anglia covers that area & have lurcher owners as members.

If you bump into Stan on your travels would you please tell him Geoff & Hazel is asking about them, thanks mao :thumbsup:

milly said:
Is there still a Norfolk Lurcher Club? had some great days out in the 80s & early 90s at places like North Tuddenham, Cromer Hall, Swaffham, met some nice people at these shows.  Richard Todd, Brian Ringham, John Bromley, Stan Byes,Anna Delamere

Phil Canham (Mannor Whippets/Norfolk Norfolk Ferrets)

Hi ,I was one of the founder members of the Norfolk Lurcher Club back in 1981 and was also their last Chairman. The club was disbanded some years ago. We decided to call it a day because apart from a small few all our so called loyal members would not help to put the shows on and at one show our Show Sec, Cliff Maidstone called all the members present over to the tent to ask for help most turn and walk away. Thats when we called to it a day. The East Anglian Jack Russel and Lurcher club now have shows this way, good day out they are too,

Regards Phil

Will come and have look next year who knows I may see some old faces :luck:

milly said:
small point here milly...Richard Dodds and his wife Shirley, she could judge and understood what she was looking for in a working lurcher...Nip Griffiths a real gentleman whom I've shared many a bottle of whiskey with after the shows were over mind and Barry, Malcolm Conn are other names that come to mind, in their day NLS were innovative trendsetters inviting speakers( sometimes controversial) to meet and discuss dogs. It seemed at that time they would go on from strength to strength but sad to here they're no longer in existance

Do you mean Barry Montgomery Nellie.Saw him in October at Peterborough show.Last saw Nip Griffiths at Knebworth(Living Heritage)show a few years ago when Chris and Pearls club ran the show.Haven't seen Malcom Conn for a few years.Don't know if he's still about :D Karen

Nellie said:
milly said:
small point here milly...Richard Dodds and his wife Shirley, she could judge and understood what she was looking for in a working lurcher...Nip Griffiths a real gentleman whom I've shared many a bottle of whiskey with after the shows were over mind and Barry, Malcolm Conn are other names that come to mind, in their day NLS were innovative trendsetters inviting speakers( sometimes controversial) to meet and discuss dogs. It seemed at that time they would go on from strength to strength but sad to here they're no longer in existance

Once went to one of their shows Nellie and the lurcher judge was bare footed I just forget his name :D

Talking of Richard Dodds do you remember the trouble about that un23" black rough lurcher they had?

Last edited by a moderator:
Now don't get embarrassed :b Nellie talking of good lurcher judging I would place you in the top ten in the country.

With all the knowledge you have from working your dogs and not forgetting your dads knowledge on running dogs and the choice of stud dog :D I hold you in high esteem :thumbsup:

ps bare foot was is name Douglas

milly said:
Now don't get embarrassed :b Nellie talking of good lurcher judging I would place you in the top ten in the country.

With all the knowledge you have from working your dogs and not forgetting your dads knowledge on running dogs and the choice of stud dog :D I hold you in high esteem :thumbsup:

ps bare foot was is name Douglas

It most certainly could not of been anyone else but Mick Douglas he was an odd one but bred some good dogs

Cheers for that compliment milly :b

when the old man judged the final at Chatsworth he put some noses out of joint because nobody knew him, he turned up Sunday afternoon he was greeted by JO'K "is it right you have n't had a lurcher for 20yrs"(in this time he showed whippets and trained track greyhounds) he replied" Yes it will be about that long" "well I hope you know what your doing" as JO'K walked away my old man put his hand on his shoulder and I thought "no dont hit him" my old man's reply I can still hear it to this day "I dont judge eggs but I can tell a bad one when I come across one" in the final line up of 6 he had the only 5 to of qualified more than once.

rodders said:
Do you mean Barry Montgomery Nellie.Saw him in October at Peterborough show.Last saw Nip Griffiths at Knebworth(Living Heritage)show a few years ago when Chris and Pearls club ran the show.Haven't seen Malcom Conn for a few years.Don't know if he's still about :D Karen
Sorry rodders no, I knew Barry Montgomery saw him last time the cla was at Belvoir Castle used to have some tidy little rough coated lurchers including one called Seven

Barry bred some good coursing dogs aswell Nellie, one which comes to mind was Peggy me and Barry used to course with the East of England for a number of years infact we were both on the commitee we go back 20 odd years :D

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back