The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Northern Counties

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
frontrun said:
Karen said:
I have always admired this dog, Blue Spring Tibere.  Glad he did so well at this show.  I hope we may see more of him as the season unfolds.

Why is it quite often we send dogs abroad and then their offspring are coming back and beating our UK dogs.  The bitch CC has (similar)English blood also

Hi Karen,

Interesting question.At the Whippet Congress in the U.K many ears ago a judge and breeder in the later hours after many drinks, asked me if I really thought that any of the Whippets from the Continent would do anything in the U.K rings ? I said of course, they are bred from the best English blodlines. He said .. no way. He was later one of the first to import a dog from Italy.

First of all I think we watch you guys over there very closely. We are not hung up on who owns the dog, what bloodlines do we like ect. To breed Whippets has in many ears on the continent been a struggle, most of all because we couldnt find any puppybuyers. This has changed now, and most litters are easely sold ( in Denmark anyway ). So for many yars you really had to have this feeling : I must do this litter.. nomatter what it takes. Anyone can breed a litter, but to have this passion that you see in several Kennels in Sweden, Finland, Belgium, France,takes a lot of effort and money. Think about how many foreingers you see over there at ringside, not only at Crufts. And ask youself how many of you have ever seen a big competition on the continent ? I know several of you have visited Tamsviik during the last couple of years, and some of you have judged, but still, the interest and the wish to learn, and the open mind, is what makes the good results.

I think the breed has come very far over here during the last 5 years, thanks to devoted clever breeders ( most of them are not even mentioned in the newer Whippet Books... I might write one called : Those the others forgot ... :p ) we now have some of the very best English and U.S bloodlines on the continent.

Congrats to Tibere... Lovely dog. Spirit is a litterbrother to my DK.CH. Fin. CH. Special Reserve Du Haras D`Helios, whom unfortunately died young under a visit in Finland. Their dam : Multi CH. BIS Winner Falconcrag Speciality is one of my favourite bitches.

If time, money and job allowed I personally would be at every ringside at every show in the world!!!! At this time there are 3 or 4 dogs abroard that I prefer to most over here. Sad but true. IMO also breeders on the continent seem far more committed and knowledgable than a lot of breeders over here. I will probably get shot down in flames for daring to say that so if you dont think it applies to you dont get uppity :thumbsup: I didnt say ALL. Sometimes I admire so many dogs (for different reasons) I get confused about who is best to use. Then someone uses any dog on any bitch and they win well with it. It can get very frustrating. Also a lot of things put people (me) off using a particular dog if it is passing things on to its offspring but the brave seem to not have as many problems as was anticipated by the not so brave!

Sometimes I admire so many dogs (for different reasons) I get confused about who is best to use. Then someone uses any dog on any bitch and they win well with it. It can get very frustrating. Also a lot of things put people (me) off using a particular dog if it is passing things on to its offspring but the brave seem to not have as many problems as was anticipated by the not so brave!

I COULD NT AGREE MORE KAREN

Sad news for anyone who was at the show last weekend, I just heard today that Marion Cherry died this morning. At least she was able to be at the show and to cut the cake to celebrate her golden wedding. With her late husband, Hugh , Marion Cherry was on the committee of the Northern Counties Whippet Club, and currrently she was Vice President.

Last edited by a moderator:
Liz Third said:
Sad news for anyone who was at the show last weekend, I just heard today that Marion Cherry died this morning.  At least she was able to be at the show and to cut the cake to celebrate her golden wedding.  With her late husband, Hugh , Marion Cherry was on the committee of the Northern Counties Whippet Club, and currrently  she was Vice President.
So sad -

Richard remembers both of the Cherrys being regulars at the NCWC shows over the years. A lovely couple who are together again.

Dawn & Richard - APHRAEL whippets

This is very sad news she was a lovely person.

[SIZE=14pt]R.I.P Marion[/SIZE]

R I P Marion

It was pleasure to have known you

Last edited by a moderator:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back