The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Not Long Now

mally

Mallyfieldwhippets.com
Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Well i will be traveling up to Newcastle tomorrow evening to stop with my friend Charpolski, ready to run our heat on saturday night at 9.30pm.

Vixen has been drawn against last years winner of the competition so it will be a tall order to expect her to win her heat, however what i will say is she's as fit as a flee. Over the last 4 weeks she's caught 50 rabbits lamping and over 30 ferreting (actually catching them not holding them in the nets!!). I've just been giving her a little road work the last few days and she's bouncing...

It will be down to her on the night and i'm sure she'll give 100%. Vixen is the only whippet entered in the competition all the other dogs in the competition are lurchers. It would be nice if she gives a good account of herself and put the working whippet on the map..

Please keep your fingers crossed for us on saturday night

alb

Mally

Last edited by a moderator:
Really good luck :luck: I know Vixen will give 110% ... hope it's enough on the night :thumbsup: But whatever happens enjoy yourselves :)

Good luck with Vixen :luck: I'm sure she will do you proud!

I'm sure as she is the only whippet entered she will show the others how it's done! :D

Good Luck Vixen, please let us know how you get on

Special licks from Dad xx

Good luck Vixen, do us whippets proud. From Uncle Pye!

Thanks guys :thumbsup:

As some may know i tried to get a lamping competition up and running last year but out of the many claiming to work there whippets there was only 2 others that had the bottle to enter. They were Masta and sparky. They will be invited down for a couple of nights lamping in the next few weeks with me and vixen.

The competition i was trying to organise was just for a bit of fun and to give others the opportunity to run some rabbits on my permission. All the profits were going to go to the Tilly fund.

A couple of other people have since tried to organise a lamping competition just for Kc whippets too but as before people claim to work there dogs but are not prepared to enter!!!!. I just enjoy going out with likeminded folk and seeing other dogs working, You get a bit bored seeing the same dog all the time lol...

Thats the reason why i entered this competition thats for lurchers, at least i'm getting out on other peoples land and giving my dog more experience running on different ground.

I'm getting ready to set off in a minute but i'll try and get online at my friends on sunday morning to let you all know how Vixen got on... Please keep your fingers crossed for us... :thumbsup:

good luck ,what would they say if she won, big up to whippets atb BB :thumbsup:

Mally was Knocked out. am sure he will add later, i think he was a bit poorly, maybe the swine in him came back

Here's the report from the Judge

Had LDR and Mally over for their second round heat of the lamping competition tonight.

LDR running his lurcher Bruce, and Mally running his whippet Vixen...

The conditions were bad, with the moon and no wind. Mally won the toss of the coin and opted for the first slip... we planned on crossing some ground id killed a lot of rabbits on recently, and onto a spot where there would be good numbers, but that was cut short as the demented senile landowner, who iv worked for for 3 years and contacted prior to the night, fed me a bullshite story, so we sacked the place off. However Mally's first slip on this ground was successful and Vixen managed to nail the rabbit in the hedge bottom after he managed to keep it from going over the hill in the field. On the way back, Bruce scored with a straightforward run after walking past the squatter. We stopped the clock back at the vehicles.

Next venue held more promise as the west wind picked up a bit and brought a spot of light rain and some thicker cloud cover, Bruce killed on each slip he had and edged ahead of Vixen... a fox or two were patrolling the grass fields, so we headed to the arable below, by now the breif rain clouds had passed and it was again very light, and flat calm...Mally was feeling a little worse for ware, but we plodded on. A badger rooting in the rape hadnt semed to have disturbed too much, but we had to disturb him as we passed. Up to now most of the bunnies had been hugging the field edges making life hard, but there were a few rabbits well out in the fields down here by now, but the conditions made it hard to appproach for a decent slip. Vixen came very close on a several slips with one escaping out through a strand wire fence, and another was missed by a fraction as she struck out just a yard or two in front of us after a good course. Bruce was making it look easy, scooping up rabbits from varied slips, but he did finally miss a couple.... at this point the score was 7 to LDR and 3 to Mally. But by this point Mally was feeling what i can only describe as, rough as f**k, but the whippet managed a good catch after a good run from out in the field and caught her rabbit in the rough at a wall bottom. And again in the next field a good long run to the hedge from out in the field, and the whippet did very well keeping the rabbit out of the hedge, and finally caught it after turning it several times. We planned to go on, but called an end to the heat as Mally really was looking canny rough by this stage.

Who knows what could have happened in the final leg of the night, but the final score was LDR and Bruce 7, Mally and Vixen 5. Which takes LDR through to face Chartpolski in the next round.

Well done to both dogs and handlers, it was a joy to watch both dogs work... shame about the conditions and hassle on the night, but thats life! Good luck to those that are still in the comp, you will need it!!

Happy hunting all DnN

Vixen ran well and i was happy with the way she ran, it was always going to be a struggle running last years winner but we gave it our best shot.

I was feeling really rough and was throwing up at the halftime interval,We soldiered on to the point where we had just 20 minutes left and we were 2 behind. I was struggling to carry on and the way things were going it didn't look like Bruce was going to miss many, so i called it a day...

We'd been out for a pub lunch and we must have had a dodgy steak as my friend was also feeling a bit rough when i got back after the heat. I was due to return home yesterday but i spent all day in bed!!. Many thanks to Charpolski for putting me and my 2 dogs up for the weekend and for sorting vixen when i returned back from the lamping comp, he washed her down, checked her feet and fed her for me...

I'll be back in the comp next year without a doubt, i really enjoyed the night running on different ground.

It was just a shame the whippet didn't win.. what i will say though is she didn't disgrace herself in anyway. Both the judge and LDR commented on a couple of her catches. Even though she didn't win she still did me proud

ATB

Mally

Well done - it sounds as though Vixen gave an extremely good account of herself against stiff competition :thumbsup:

Sorry to hear about the bad food ...... nothing worse than feeling like that when you've got a job to do :(

Good luck for next year (and don't go back to eat at the same place again :- )

Well done, and as Jane says, Vixen clearly gave a very good account of herself. Hope you're feeling better now :)

Annie

What a shame, never mind, there is always next year. There is a sickness bug doing the rounds, steak is usually okay, fish can be a problem. Next time take a pack up, at least you will know your food will be okay. :)

Enviromental Health should be told see if they can link up any other reports of food poisoning from the same source

what a brilliant write up from the judge :thumbsup:

sorry you didn't go through but she did you proud nice to see a few more rabbits being caught in this heat

good luck to cp and ldr in their coming heat :thumbsup:

It sounds like Vixen really did you proud Mally.

Do hope that you are on the mend now.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back