The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Old Boxer, Suspected Brain Tumour.

ChrissyR

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi everyone.

Before I continue can I just say that I know I have to make this decision for myself, and that I am not expecting anybody to make it for me. I am also aware you are all dog owners and not qualified Vets. I am not seeking medical advice... more moral guidance I guess?

I have an old Boxer. He is approaching the ripe old age of 14. He has arthritis (which we were managing ok) but also had a vestibular attack a couple of months ago which has left him a little left leaning and somewhat uncoordinated. He is showing signs of dementia but has recently become somewhat agitated (groaning while laying down), pacing, more unbalanced etc. It was the odd shape that developed on his head which made me take him to Vet yesterday and they are suspecting that it is a trigemenal nerve sheath tumour. My Vet has also emailed the Royal College of Veterinarians who have confirmed that is indeed what it sounds like.

To determine, he would need to be out under general anaesthesia for an MRI scan. If confirmed, it would require surgery definitely. I have also read elsewhere on the internet that tumours generally require radiation therapy too.

My question is, is it right to put such an old dog through all of that? Would the kinder thing to do be to euthanise him at home? What would you do if it was your geriatric boxer? Does anybody have experience of a similar situation?

Again I know nobody can make the decision for me - and I know there is no guarantee that surgery will work either. I guess just speaking to other dog owners will help me understand the best possible way.

That's very hard. I think I'd start by asking your vet what the recovery period is likely to be like for him (how long, how much discomfort), likely side effects of radiotherapy, and chances of a good recovery with a reasonable amount of good-quality life ahead (given that he also has arthritis and signs of dementia).

As you say, only you can make the decision, but we're here to support you whatever you decide.

I think it often even helps to just write these things down.

If he were mine, I don't think I would put him through it. General anaesthesia and treatment might buy him a little time but realistically, they are not going to do very much. And both could take their toll on him.

It's a terrible decision to have to make, but remember you are doing it for him, not you.

And, we are here for you if it helps to share stories, photos, or just have a rant.

Also, if it helps, the Blue Cross has a pet bereavement counselling service.

Pet bereavement and pet loss

I am so sorry you are having to go through this. We are all here for you. Many of us have had that decision to make.

Thanks everyone. The Vet says there is no guarantee the radiation therapy would get rid of it.

Very sad to hear the situation you are in, if he were mine considering his other health issues and age I would not put him through the trauma of major surgery and treatments. (but only respect to you if you do decide to take the treatment).. I would talk to the vet about pallitive care and keep him as comfortable as possible at home even if it's a short while, try and give your self a bit of time if possible to come to terms with his condition, but it is understandably a tough call.. my heart goes out to you.. and as others have said above, we are all here

If he were my dog i would not be putting him through any test etc ....if he is having more bad days than good then his quality of life is declining. ...its heartbreaking but the most unselfish thing we can do as our dog custodians. ...treasure the good times and make his time he has left the best it can be ...lots of hugs to you and be kind to yourself xxx

Hi everyone.

Before I continue can I just say that I know I have to make this decision for myself, and that I am not expecting anybody to make it for me. I am also aware you are all dog owners and not qualified Vets. I am not seeking medical advice... more moral guidance I guess?

I have an old Boxer. He is approaching the ripe old age of 14. He has arthritis (which we were managing ok) but also had a vestibular attack a couple of months ago which has left him a little left leaning and somewhat uncoordinated. He is showing signs of dementia but has recently become somewhat agitated (groaning while laying down), pacing, more unbalanced etc. It was the odd shape that developed on his head which made me take him to Vet yesterday and they are suspecting that it is a trigemenal nerve sheath tumour. My Vet has also emailed the Royal College of Veterinarians who have confirmed that is indeed what it sounds like.

To determine, he would need to be out under general anaesthesia for an MRI scan. If confirmed, it would require surgery definitely. I have also read elsewhere on the internet that tumours generally require radiation therapy too.

My question is, is it right to put such an old dog through all of that? Would the kinder thing to do be to euthanise him at home? What would you do if it was your geriatric boxer? Does anybody have experience of a similar situation?

Again I know nobody can make the decision for me - and I know there is no guarantee that surgery will work either. I guess just speaking to other dog owners will help me understand the best possible way.

You poor poor people ,this is heartbreaking especially as you have had him so long , I had a 10 year old boxer that suddenly foamed and kept banging his head on the wall and he had a tumour which the vet said they could control with fenol barbitonebut 2 days later I had to take him back as he was worse ,needless to say I let him go which was the kindest thing but the hardest for me! You can only decide yourself so my thoughts are with you

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back