The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Old School Whippets?

hawkeye

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hello to everyone,Having decided after a fair amount of research that a whippet is definitely for me ,i have begun searching for the ideal companion ,ideally a male pup/young dog.However of the few i have seen recently all appear to be from a generous 20" or even 22" parent quite unlike the whippet i knew as a kid and the inspiration for my choice. Is it still possible to find smaller sized whippets,ie males 18" tts?I am hoping that the combined expertise of this forum might point me in the right direction .Hopefully yours...

hawkeye said:
Hello to everyone,Having decided after a fair amount of research that a whippet is definitely for me ,i have begun searching for the ideal companion ,ideally a male pup/young dog.However of the few i have seen recently all appear to be from a generous 20" or even 22" parent quite unlike the whippet i knew as a kid and the inspiration for my choice. Is it still possible to find smaller sized whippets,ie males 18" tts?I am hoping that the combined expertise of this forum might point me in the right direction .Hopefully yours...
We have a small puppy that hopefully wil not make much more that 18.5 inches

Hi Mate

your best bet in finding a small(er) whippet would be from racing lines, working/show lines tend to be bigger.

Good luck. I have a small male whippet (19") and I must confess that I prefer his size to the male whippets you see today. It's amazing how big the males are now, and the strength of them as they pull on the lead comes as a bit of a shock after owning a smaller, lighter whippet :- " Don't get me wrong, I love some of the whippets on the show scene, and dream of showing one day, but please, please don't let them get any bigger!! :unsure: Conformation and movement isn't everything over size :oops:

I'm not try to start a debate.....good luck in your search and keep us posted! :luck:

Thanks for the advice guys,will let you know how i get on!

Nicola said:
Good luck. I have a small male whippet (19") and I must confess that I prefer his size to the male whippets you see today. It's amazing how big the males are now, and the strength of them as they pull on the lead comes as a bit of a shock after owning a smaller, lighter whippet :- " Don't get me wrong, I love  some of the whippets on the show scene, and dream of showing one day, but please, please don't let them get any bigger!! :unsure: Conformation and movement isn't everything over size :oops:
I'm not try to start a debate.....good luck in your search and keep us posted! :luck:

I have heard that whippets are getting bigger from different sources. My young male is 1/2 inch outside the breed standard, even though both parents were kc registered. He isn't obviously, and looks like a large whippet/small greyhound. It would have been easier to have a smaller whippet, but he needed a home and even though he is a little hooligan (w00t) we love him dearly.

Mark Roberts said:
Hi Mate
your best bet in finding a small(er) whippet would be from racing lines, working/show lines tend to be bigger.

Hello Hawkeye......I agree with Mark,I would think that you would find it very difficult to get a whippet MALE of 18ins in anything other than racing circles as the KC breed standards guidelines for males are between 18 1/12ins and 20ins and some people with males on the smaller of that range have commented that it can be hard enough to do well in the showring with them as a lot of judges are comapring them to the other dogs in the class and because they look smaller in comparison they are being overlooked...so I would not have thought that anyone breeding for the ring would really want a male any smaller than 18 1/2ins.

There are emembers on this forum from some very well known & respected racing kennels and I am certain that they would be more than happy to point you in the right direction. :D

Good luck with your quest and I hope you find the right dog for you soon :luck: :thumbsup:

05whippet said:
Hello Hawkeye......I agree with Mark,I would think that you would find it very difficult to get a whippet MALE of 18ins in anything other than racing circles as the KC breed standards guidelines for males are between 18 1/12ins and 20ins
Please don't forget coursing lines too, there are still those who continue breed for original type and performance. :thumbsup:

I have a small whippet boy who is 19 1/2" and I really like his size better than my other 3 who are all bigger :))

i have a bitch that is spot on the breed standard and people say to me how small she is. i turn it round and say how big the whippets are now that are being bred.

good luck in your search

my little girl.. 17 n 3/4 to the shoulder and 18lb of pure gameness..

Ella is 20 lb and approx 19" to shoulder, she's from show bred litter, is a lot smaller than her litter mates, so you just never can tell !

she takes up such little space :wub: o:)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back