The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

oldies

iang

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi,Are any of you out there old enough or lucky enough to have seen the likes of Irish Rain Mo Evil or Kerrys Dream when they were at their best????????

yes i remember seeing Kerry's dream and Mo Evil but was quite young then :D

YES I HAVE HAD THE PLEASURE OF WATCHING SOME GREAT RACING WHIPPETS OF THE PAST i.e. DASHER. SOFT TOUCH,SO PERFECT,DANCING GOLD,SUPREME SAM,MO EVIL,MR BENN,PAINTED LADY, SWIFT WIND,KERRYS DREAM,TYCOOL,NO,COMMENT WHO I REGARD AS PROBALBY THE BEST I HAVE EVER SEEN AND COULD IN MY OPINION HOLD ITS OWN AGAINST THE DOGS OF TODAY. ??? :D ;) ;) :p

yes john i agree no comment was a great bitch, the only bitch i have see as good as her is swift holly in my day

:D I have to agree with you there john, and i think there will be some good dogs racing this year ie legs n lips, plus many more :D :D

two of the best allrounders i have ever seen has to be heatherbelle and indian joe both from the same litter ;)

Nothing to do with Kerry's Dream / Mo Evil but i agree with mutley about Heatherbelle & Indian Joe, both were excellent heavyweights & good fun to watch!!

THE BEST DOGS I HAVE WATCHED ARE SWIFT HOLLY , I THINK THE BEST MAD MICK, DANCING WIND BUT I HAVE ONLY BEEN RACING FIVE YEARS.

The two all time greats we used to race against were Cherry owned by albert pickup from ripon and good as gold owned by peter fitton others from that era were blackie owned by (slpit pin ) ken and peggy arnold also from ripon mrs oliver has had some great dogs in her time and still has she is one of the few i remember from the past who has seen many come and go from this sport and i am sure could tell us all a thing or two about this sport another couple of dogs that sping to mind are two lancaster dogs sportsman and spike also billy gill dog from wigan S.A.G. blue mist was another all had there day and i dont think its possible to draw a comparision with the ones that are running today. as with heavy weight boxing all brilliant in their day.

:D Swift Holly was an exceptional bitch and Mad Mick is a brilliant dog , an oldie we thought was a good bitch was Cherry another Judygo.... :D

I well remember Blackie Cherry and Good as Gold and I even remember the match race between Red Baron and the Gunner making the pages of the national press.I think Red Baron was owned by G.Coulson who had another decent dog called Warlord.Both of which he brought up to the North East to race at Horden,Red Baron was the first dog to break 9secs on this track and this was the home track of Quicksand who at the time was the all England Champion.Not being involved in racing for a lot of years now,I do not know what times the dogs are doing over 150yds now,but I bet even a moderate handicapper would beat these times nowadays.Still they were great times to race whippets as the average club meetings week in and week out had something like 12 heats or more.AHHH!!!!! Memories. :b

WHEN I FIRST STARTED 1973 WE HAD 12 FIVE DOG HEATS 60 DOGS IN TOTAL JUST FOR A SUNDAY MORNING HANDICAP, GOOD OLD DAYS AT WEST AUCKLAND W.R.C. ;) ;) ??? ??? :D :D :D

I raced at West Aukland open a few times with a bitch called Rainbow that was bred from Supreme Sam xMiss Cindy This was at the time when the likes of Middle Supreme and Shot andStot was the competition along with Just Brass and Jody

I used to race at new forrest in the mornings with over fifty dogs peds and non peds, then go to portsmouth in the afternoon with over sixty dogs mostly non peds. At that time the best dogs at poirtsmouth were Rch our rosie at over five years old still winning opens, star turn, and rocko one of the first greyhound cross dogs that was starting to make an impact i think he was litter brother to Rch traviling man.

by gone days here is just a sample of an old race night at lancaster quay meadow 7th august 1967 7 oclock start

2nd grade heats 6x6heats 1st grade6x6heats scatch races 4x6 and pups 3x4dogs 108 dogs in all and all finished and finals run before 9oclock we had ten bookies in attendance at most meetings many who had dogs themselves and we also had some great team events against stockport wrc and other clubs in our region usualy these were run in conjuction with the annual agricultural shows in this area we also had some great open nights at a morecambe night club and were entertained by the likes of mick miller that great comic from liverpool just a trip down memory lane

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back