The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Opinions on shampoo and skin care appreciated

Thanks for all your replies, I will definitely look at getting Natural Instinct food and am going to call on the butcher who gave me bones last time (they were beef bones I think) Hopefully get her diet sorted and any problems she has may just disappear. I hope so anyway

Our dogs digestive system works like this which makes bones safe to eat;

The Dog Digestive System | Vetericyn

Interesting read, although the bit that says "Alliums contain thiosulfate that will give your dog amnesia, which can cause an increased heart rate..." seems wrong. Surely that should be anaemia? Makes me question the accuracy of the whole article now!

Surely that should be anaemia? Makes me question the accuracy of the whole article now!

Yes, it should be anaemia. Someone needs a proofreader! Having said that, the book I'm working on at the moment, a yoga book which had been copyedited, referred twice to bringing your awareness to the fingertips at the end of your feet...

I have also fed raw meat and bones for 40 + years it is a very natural product. our puppies are always reared on raw and start on raw bones from 4 weeks of age.
As with @Tinytom and @Hemlock we have never come across any problems with raw bones of any description.
Having been a veterinary nurse is nothing like actual experience and having the knowledge of feeding such a natural raw product as raw.
Saying bones should only be fed ground only panics people and prevents them feeding an essential and natural raw product to their dog.

There will always be exceptions with blockages and any products that our dogs eat, it could be commercial kibble, dry biscuits, sticks and chewed toys. As a veterinary nurse you must see a lot of this too!
Please do not scare people
I. appreciate you have a lot of experience wirh your own pets but with respect, this is not the same as spending 15 years in vet nursing and looking after a very wide range of different dog breeds and types, and owners with very different levels of understanding. Your experience is anecdote, whereas mine is based on hundreds if not thousands of dogs.

I feed raw myself, so I am not anti raw diets, and nor am I 'scaring people'. I am offering straightforward, cautious advice that people can provide a perfectly good access to raw bones using beef or lamb, and are not obliged to feed raw chicken bones, as there is a slightly higher risk.

I am aware that there are very passionate advocates of a raw diet, but a raw diet does not suit every dog or every owner. There are positive and negative features to all diets, and all I'm doing is introducing some nuance and balance to the debate, and factors to take into consideration for anyone embarking on raw food.

The intention is that people can make an informed decision, rather being harangued for not having a purist approach to raw feeding.

15 years of Nursing and "caring for" ! There is no comparison to the combined years of knowledge we have, and backup of mature and experienced raw feeding vets and nurses if required.

There is no higher risk feeding raw chicken bones than a bowl full of dry kibble!

15 years of Nursing and "caring for" ! There is no comparison to the combined years of knowledge we have, and backup of mature and experienced raw feeding vets and nurses if required.

There is no higher risk feeding raw chicken bones than a bowl full of dry kibble!
Goodness! I have touched a nerve there it seems!
I think it's a good idea if various voices are heard. It's fine to disagree, as we do, and leaving the decision to the individual. It won't harm a dog not to eat raw chicken, so I don't quite see why you are so exercised by the idea, but maybe best to leave it up to the OP to decide what is best for their dog. As I say, I feed raw myself and have done since the 1970s.

Whatever makes you think raw chicken is an issue ? it is you who is making an issue about their bones splintering. Oh, and you have forgotten to mention raw Rabbit and raw Pheasant bones, these are far more likely to splinter than any raw chicken bones. The chicken bones that are used are from very young birds and are very soft.
It is very incorrect that raw chicken bones splinter you should not try to put raw feeding people off feeding raw chicken bones when there far more dangerous things they could be eating.

Actually the original poster here that you mentioned was asking about "Opinions on shampoo and skin care" :rolleyes::eek:

Not sure whether this is the correct stream. My query ISN’T urgent. Is there a human soap/shampoo that we can use on our whippet? We’re down in Cornwall so no pet shops within easy reach. Mabel’s not itchy nor in discomfort but, in this heat, I’m sure that she’d would appreciate a cool bath.

I believe baby shampoo is fine as a one-off, but if it's to cool her down rather than rid her of nasty whiffs, I'd not bother using any shampoo/soap at all. Or take her down the beach.

Not sure whether this is the correct stream. My query ISN’T urgent. Is there a human soap/shampoo that we can use on our whippet? We’re down in Cornwall so no pet shops within easy reach. Mabel’s not itchy nor in discomfort but, in this heat, I’m sure that she’d would appreciate a cool bath.
What about just rinsing her in plain water?

That said, in an emergency I've used whatever was at hand; probably Mr F's shower gel because I was likely holding him responsible for letting the dog get into a mess in the first place!

I wouldn't think you would need to shampoo her if your aim is to cool her down.

I offer my dogs a cool mat and a fan indoors, and, if it's really hot, a kiddies plastic paddling pool - dogs have the sense to use these and lie in the shade, so I don't see a need to intervene by dousing them in water.
It's my guess a lot of dogs would hate that and much prefer to cool off in their own way. Obviously, don't walk her in the heat of the day - early morning or late evening is best.

Reactions: RGC
Thank you all. JudyN, you were fortunate with Jasper, getting Mabel into the sea without traumatising her would be as difficult as getting Boris to admit deception and apologise. You’ve all been very kind and I do appreciate it. I think I’ll just wipe her down with a wet towel and let her dry out on the lawn. I’ll leave the bath for when we get home.
I wouldn't think you would need to shampoo her if your aim is to cool her down.

I offer my dogs a cool mat and a fan indoors, and, if it's really hot, a kiddies plastic paddling pool - dogs have the sense to use these and lie in the shade, so I don't see a need to intervene by dousing them in water.
It's my guess a lot of dogs would hate that and much prefer to cool off in their own way. Obviously, don't walk her in the heat of the day - early morning or late evening is best.
I actually bought her a cooling mat in the early days but she bit it so I had to throw it away.

Thank you all. JudyN, you were fortunate with Jasper, getting Mabel into the sea without traumatising her would be as difficult as getting Boris to admit deception and apologise.

He wouldn't go in more than chest deep though - and he would panic if Mr N or I went in over waist height... or went in to waist height and then dipped down so only our head and shoulders were out of the water. He couldn't swim himself, and was possibly traumatised by the time I had to rescue him from a lake, so probably assumed we couldn't swim either.

He was happy to wallow in streams and any water with gently banking access - if there was a drop of 6" or more, it was too dangerous to risk it. But try as I might, I could not get him to use a paddling pool in the garden. Even when I filled it to about 1cm deep and put treats in it he seemed to think it was an acid bath.

We have just bought another motorhome a much smaller one so are thinking of buying the boys cooling coats ...

We have just bought another motorhome a much smaller one so are thinking of buying the boys cooling coats ...
A wipe with a damp cloth sounds like the way to go. Tbh, cooling coats cool the wrong part of the body - to cool, dogs need cold applied to their chest, belly, feet and gums. If left on too long, cooling coats can actually start to trap heat and make the problem worse.
I've lived with dogs who are water lovers and fantastic swimmers, and dogs (like my present Carpathian Shepherd) who won't so much as put a foot in a puddle. I'm happy to trust my dogs, and never try to persuade them to do something against their instincts, eg throwing toys into a river or lake. Most of keeping dogs cool is having shade and water available and staying indoors (shutters or curtains closed) in a cool house during the heat of the day - no need to spend a load on products!
At the moment, my shepherd is lying in a huge pit he has dug in my vegetable bed (!) and my little collie is lying on the tiles in the kitchen - entirely sensible choices!

If left on too long, cooling coats can actually start to trap heat and make the problem worse

We use one, we have never left it on for too long - when you slip your hand between the cooling coat and the dog, you can feel how cool the dog's hair is - it has been a great product for us. I agree, you need to use them properly but I'd not go away without one now.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back