The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Our puppy cannot be alone

JessPandaBear

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi everyone

We're new here and looking for some advice or just support with our new puppy!

We've had him home a week and he's a 12 week old Samoyed X Akita. He's absolutely brilliant with everything except being alone...ever!! If even just one of us leaves the room he gets very upset and vocal! If it's just one of us at home it's awful as we can't even step out of the room for a few seconds without him crying, barking and urinating on the carpet in protest or upset not really sure which!

I know he must be scared as he's been separated from his litter mates and mum but I don't know what to do to make it better for him!

The aim is for him to sleep downstairs which he is currently doing and one of us is staying with him during the night at the moment. We want to start phasing this out and moving ourselves apart from him but it all feels a bit impossible right now. I love him so much but we're feeling very overwhelmed!

When we're working he insists on laying with us rather than on his bed. He's very food motivated during his training but we've tried giving him chews or a Kong before we leave the room but as soon as he sees we're going he stops paying them any attention. We have seen some methods where you leave and come straight back with a treat but we can't do that as leaving in the first place seems traumatic!

We aren't using a crate and would prefer not to if we can! We've had puppies and dogs before and never needed to use a crate with them or had this level of issues.

Thank you very much for your help!!!!

Did you see my suggestions in your other thread? I've repeated it here:

For now, let him follow you wherever you go... even to the loo. This way, he will build confidence, not worry about your absences, and then you can build on this. As with buildings, you can only build on solid foundations.

There's more info here: Your new puppy: the first few nights Note particularly Emma Judson's Flitting Game, mentioned at the end of the post.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back