The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Over heating!

Robins mum

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi! HELP!

It is so very hot! 30 degrees indoors with all windows open as much as is safe! fans on (when I am at home) Cooler pad and lots of water available - Robin is still very very hot!

Any one of you smart folks out there got any other suggestions please?

Thanks!

Often it's better to have curtains, and even windows, closed when the sun is coming from that direction - it's much hotter outside than it is in our house today.

Would he be OK with you laying cool damp flannels on him, or even misting him with a water spray? Note that you should use cool, not cold water, in case he is overheating - cooling him to quickly can be dangerous in that situation. Similarly, he should drink cool water. Though if you're sure he's absolutely fine, it is safe to let him crunch ice cubes if he likes them.

Is there any way you could put a paddling pool in a shady corner of the garden that he could bathe in? I'm guessing not, but thought it was worth a mention.

Make sure you are very aware of the signs of heatstroke, because it can be dangerous - don't hesitate to call the vet if worried.

Jasper did really badly in the heat - I think it's a sighthound thing. Occasionally I would take him to the local woods as there was shade, ponds, and a shallow stream, which were ideal. But this had to be balanced against how hot the car was because there was no way I'd walk him there in high temperatures.

I keep curtains most of the way closed to keep the sun from streaming in, but I do keep windows open front and back of flat to get a vague draw through aswell as 2 fans going in different areas, hoping to keep some air moving. I think it was @Tinytom that said about putting a tray of ice (or cold blocks would work I should imagine) in front of fans for extra cooling. I've been doing this and it does make a difference but you need a good supply of ice and ferrets that aren't trying to steal it and stash it!!:D
It is difficult, would he wear the cooling bandanas or a cool coat? I've never used these so don't know how efficient they are, but they may help as well as the cool mats and everything else we can do as Judy has mentioned too.

Often it's better to have curtains, and even windows, closed when the sun is coming from that direction - it's much hotter outside than it is in our house today.

Would he be OK with you laying cool damp flannels on him, or even misting him with a water spray? Note that you should use cool, not cold water, in case he is overheating - cooling him to quickly can be dangerous in that situation. Similarly, he should drink cool water. Though if you're sure he's absolutely fine, it is safe to let him crunch ice cubes if he likes them.

Is there any way you could put a paddling pool in a shady corner of the garden that he could bathe in? I'm guessing not, but thought it was worth a mention.

Make sure you are very aware of the signs of heatstroke, because it can be dangerous - don't hesitate to call the vet if worried.

Jasper did really badly in the heat - I think it's a sighthound thing. Occasionally I would take him to the local woods as there was shade, ponds, and a shallow stream, which were ideal. But this had to be balanced against how hot the car was because there was no way I'd walk him there in high temperatures.

Hi JudyN, thank you so much for your speedy response! I have blinds partially closed and yes he has a paddling pool in a shady area, but has not yet used it other than to drink from! LOL! The flannels is a great idea too I did that earlier this afternoon and he definately appreciated that!

He is starting to brighten up now, as it is cooling down a smidge! It is still 29.8 C. inside however! I am not sure if I should take him for a short walk, or not, tbh. I think it is too hot, but if I don't he might spontaneously combust!

He is a difficult dog to care for tbh, as much as I love him I worry constantly!

Anyway the good thing is that he has eaten most of his tea! Yaaaay! Now laying outside in the shade of my very expensive 6' high wooden fencing! (just erected for Robin! I do hope he appreciates it ! He got his essentials and I'm still washing in a scabby sink! LOL! What do we do for these animals! x

Reactions: RGC
I keep curtains most of the way closed to keep the sun from streaming in, but I do keep windows open front and back of flat to get a vague draw through aswell as 2 fans going in different areas, hoping to keep some air moving. I think it was @Tinytom that said about putting a tray of ice (or cold blocks would work I should imagine) in front of fans for extra cooling. I've been doing this and it does make a difference but you need a good supply of ice and ferrets that aren't trying to steal it and stash it!!:D
It is difficult, would he wear the cooling bandanas or a cool coat? I've never used these so don't know how efficient they are, but they may help as well as the cool mats and everything else we can do as Judy has mentioned too.
Hi! Thanks for your speedy response too! I did not see the post about the ice cubes! Sounds a great idea! I've just been out to buy some ice cube makers as I only had the large ice packs, so I'm gonna give that a go tomorrow when the water has frozen! He is not a fan of coats or bandanas sadly. he would probably hang himself tbh! (That'd solve the problem!) :( poor baby!

I am not sure if I should take him for a short walk, or not, tbh. I think it is too hot, but if I don't he might spontaneously combust!

I used to have that dilemma with Jasper - he wasn't the sort of dog who just accepts that walks are off the menu, whatever else I did to try to keep him entertained. Weigh up whether he'd get hotter winding himself up in the house and the garden, or having a short calm walk in the shade. Sometimes we would just go 50m to the church at the end of the road, have a sniff and maybe a lie-down on the grassy bit under the trees, and that would help J tick 'go for a walk' off his to-do list, and it was better than him whining and getting worked up at home. (I would always check the temperature of the pavements - if yours are too hot to hold your hand on, then walks are out.) Whether R would settle for a calm sniff-walk and a lie-down is another matter... the last thing you want is him doing laps in the sun.

I used to have that dilemma with Jasper - he wasn't the sort of dog who just accepts that walks are off the menu, whatever else I did to try to keep him entertained. Weigh up whether he'd get hotter winding himself up in the house and the garden, or having a short calm walk in the shade. Sometimes we would just go 50m to the church at the end of the road, have a sniff and maybe a lie-down on the grassy bit under the trees, and that would help J tick 'go for a walk' off his to-do list, and it was better than him whining and getting worked up at home. (I would always check the temperature of the pavements - if yours are too hot to hold your hand on, then walks are out.) Whether R would settle for a calm sniff-walk and a lie-down is another matter... the last thing you want is him doing laps in the sun.

Well we chose a short walk! Kept him on the lead for 10 minutes then let him off just before the river Tern. Yup he did a couple of laps! Far, far, less than normal of course! I allowed him in the river for a couple of minutes then we walked back on the lead fairly quietly! He was hot and I think grateful the walk was short, but as you found with Jasper, it 'ticked' the box! Thanks for that! J.

Some dogs are such creatures of habit. I did an early walk this morning with a dog that's at work with his owners, but instead of walking to the park as usual, as we have an uncomfortably warm wind blowing today, I drove him a 5 minute drive, in a fan cooled van, parked in the shade and we just had a bimble along the tree line and a sit down for a drink...
Then I drove him back, where he lept out, grabbed his lead and tried to insist on going for his proper walk!!:confused::confused: (He likes to hold his lead all the way to the park, every morning!) so we eventually managed to persuade him with biscuits to go back in the office in the cool, but he wasn't happy, he definitely felt cheated!

I know it’s a problem for all. Fortunately Mabel would be happy to spend all day on the sofa but I’ve started to take her down to the river much much earlier than usual. She doesn’t swim nor paddle - she’s a girly whippet. I would give a warning re those cooling pads, I bought one for Mabel (at great expense) the corner of which she chewed. Fortunately I got to her before she ingested any fluid contained within. If anyone is aware of a cooling pad that doesn’t contain a ‘toxic’ liquid I’d be indebted to know.

As I said she’d be more than happy to be welded to the sofa.

CFE91A18-027B-4BEC-A926-9A7E77A089D2.jpeg

I’m seeing reports of how people are suffering in the heat through a lack of green spaces. When are councils going to realise the importance of trees, etc? When are they going to stop pandering to inconsiderate developers? We moved to the country in order to enjoy the country and any protest re development is met with ‘nimbyism’. There are plenty of properties on brown space. Sorry folks, that’s today’s rant over although I’ve yet to speak to BT. Hope everyone gets through the heat situation.

@RGC if you go on to ebay and search 'material dog cooling mats' a few come up. I use them as I need to be able to wash them. There's no gel in them and they seem to work. My dog here at the moment is using one quite happily, though the temp has been extreme today she's been relatively settled, thankfully!! ( it is alongside fans and I spray it with cool water every time she gets up too).
My poor ferrets have been struggling mind, I've been using the gel ones in their cage, which I put in freezer then cover with a light sheet, I've had them on rotation all day, as well as fans and ice cubes, spraying them, getting them out for loose cuddles in a cool wet towel, you name it I've tried it today I'm sure:(.. temps just easing off here a tad now, fingers crossed it just gets cooler.( never thought I'd say that as I generally like tropical!!:rolleyes::D:D)

Reactions: RGC
I've been wearing a minimal dress, and when I venture out into the garden I've been dunking a cotton shirt in the paddling pool, wringing it out, and putting it on over the dress, which kept me cool while I did a bit of gentle deadheading. I took it off, but wearing a slightly damp dress for the next hour or so also helped keep me cooler - so something similar could work well for dogs (and ferrets!) who don't mind dressing up.

Hi! HELP!

It is so very hot! 30 degrees indoors with all windows open as much as is safe! fans on (when I am at home) Cooler pad and lots of water available - Robin is still very very hot!

Any one of you smart folks out there got any other suggestions please?

Thanks!
Hi have you tried frozen water or ice cubes in bowl of water put next to fan it gives cooler air it really works hope this helps

I use water to spray ours,water pool out in the garden ,cooling mats and cooling bandannas,fans on in the house ,ice cubes in their water bowls all seem to work.for my Whippet,Borzoi and puppy greyhound.(But the puppy won’t keep his bandanna on)
Been about 33-35c here.rain today so much cooler.
40C9D3FF-99F2-46CB-B68B-15C6E7DDC3BC.jpeg

I use water to spray ours,water pool out in the garden ,cooling mats and cooling bandannas,fans on in the house ,ice cubes in their water bowls all seem to work.for my Whippet,Borzoi and puppy greyhound.(But the puppy won’t keep his bandanna on)
Been about 33-35c here.rain today so much cooler.
View attachment 111980520
Blimey, 33 in Pontypridd? We’re not that far as the crow flies - Herefordshire. Sure you’re not on fire?

Blimey, 33 in Pontypridd? We’re not that far as the crow flies - Herefordshire. Sure you’re not on fire?
Sorry. I misread your post. Yes, it’s much cooler. There’s a fun dog show tomorrow at Stokesay Court. Promises to be a hoot. Went some years ago and thoroughly enjoyed the day.

No not on fire but felt like it,,no breeze at all out my back garden,,dogs wanted to stay In most of the time,,seen people walking their dogs in the heat ,the dogs were panting a lot ,should not talk them out in the heat we had.
Sat in my car one day for five-ten minutes with air con on full on my drive before I drove off to do some shopping.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back