The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Overfeeding?

ryv

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi all - Looking for a bit of advice. I have 2 year old Czech Sable GSD bitch from working lines. She is raw fed and normally hoovers up everything in her bowl. She's in excellent condition and shape but the past couple of days, she has left some of her food in the bowl which is very unlike her. We have however discovered that we have been overfeeding her amounts over the past 10 days (don't ask!) sometimes up to a 1/3 more........ is this just a case of being overfed and now she's 'self regulating' (as some people in the BARF community refer to it!)? We have obviously just scooped the bowl up after her 10 minutes allotted time to clear her bowl and thrown whats left, given she is absolutely fin in herself. Any advice, tips? She is perfectly fine in herself.

Sounds like she is just getting enough and leaving what she doesn't need. As long as she is fine, has healthy poos, and you sort out your feeding routine (easy to get mixed up, especially when routines are disrupted at this time of year) I wouldn't worry. If she still leaves some after the overfeeding accidents have stopped, then maybe think again. The only other thing to add is that since you say she hoovers up her food; if she gobbles too fast, you can get bowls that have maze-like patterns moulded into them. That helps slow the eating. But you may not have a problem with that, I just thought I'd mention it.

Reactions: ryv
Agree with the above. Some dogs self regulate others are just gluttons.

Reactions: ryv

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back