The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Panacur Paste any good for dogs?

Panacur is good IMO as puppies mine had that, then I went on to drontal plus :thumbsup:

jammiebasket said:
My vet surgery has suggested that Panacur paste is the best thing form my JTR pup, what do you guys think?

Jammie

Yeah, I'd agree - dead easy to administer - just squirt it down his throat and it's done! It's very effective against the kind of worms he's likely to have.

My vet gave both Jilly (whippet) and Jakey(JRT) this when they were pups and it worked fine. :thumbsup: Do you have any pics of your wee dog

I used that new one which has tiny little pills. Very easy to give to a pup as they are so small. Not to be used with collies or dogs with collie in 'em. Now all I have to do is remember ........... :- "

Got it. Milbemax I think that they are called.

hi- panacur is used commonly in pups & kittys, you can buy a tube for roughly £5 from vets.

BeeJay said:
I used that new one which has tiny little pills.  Very easy to give to a pup as they are so small.  Not to be used with collies or dogs with collie in 'em.  Now all I have to do is remember ........... :- "
Got it.  Milbemax I think that they are called.

It's ok to use with collies, but just make sure your doses are very accurate - I think the data sheet recommends caution, but doesn't totally contraindicate. They're fantastically small tablets, aren't they!?

ILoveKettleChips said:
BeeJay said:
I used that new one which has tiny little pills.  Very easy to give to a pup as they are so small.  Not to be used with collies or dogs with collie in 'em.  Now all I have to do is remember ........... :- "

It's ok to use with collies, but just make sure your doses are very accurate - I think the data sheet recommends caution, but doesn't totally contraindicate. They're fantastically small tablets, aren't they!?

This is the warning with collies ..........

The margin of safety in Collies and related breeds is less than in other dogs. In these dogs the recommended dose should be strictly observed. The tolerance of MILBEMAX in young puppies from these breeds has not been investigated. Clinical signs in Collies are similar to those seen in the general dog population when overdosed.

As a collie owner I wouldn't risk it, a lot I know cannot even tolerate Panacur.

>They're fantastically small tablets, aren't they!?

Yep the pup swallows them without noticing. I was pleased with them.

Lovely pic, yes, you can still see he's a super dog!!

On wormers, I have always used Panacur 10% when they were under 6 months, then onto Drontal plus, I have never had any problems that way - and whats more to the point, the dogs haven't had worms!!!

jools said:
Lovely pic, yes, you can still see he's a super dog!!On wormers, I have always used Panacur 10% when they were under 6 months, then onto Drontal plus, I have never had any problems that way - and whats more to the point, the dogs haven't had worms!!!

Think you will find Jools the dogs WILL have worms - just you cant always see them. They usually get them from the bitch before birth

Heres a link for youPanacure

also Ive used Panacure paste too and Drontal tablets. :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
BeeJay said:

cos i'm thick and don't know :b ,

how come collies are so sensitive ?

lovely pup BTW :wub:

Egad, wish I had a beard - I could scratch it thoughtfully! It's something to do with neurotransmitters (these are the drug's targets in the parasite) - collies when overdosed will show neurological symptoms such as wobbliness and stupor. I don't think it's a mechanism which is fully understood as yet, but here's a link to an interesting paper if anyone's feeling like some gripping reading :lol:

Postulated mechanism of toxicity

I used Panacur paste on this bundle of worms, and it worked vey well.

red1.jpg

and he soon lost his belly, and got more energy ;)

attack.jpg

What gorgeous pictures of your puppy :wub: :wub: Ive put a link in General Dogs Discussions (Canine Chemist) and Panacure can be bought direct from there if you are interested. :thumbsup:

Awwwwwwwww that is one cute wee pup there paid :wub: :wub:

ILoveKettleChips said:
Egad, wish I had a beard - I could scratch it thoughtfully!  It's something to do with neurotransmitters (these are the drug's targets in the parasite) - collies when overdosed will show neurological symptoms such as wobbliness and stupor.  I don't think it's a mechanism which is fully understood as yet, but here's a link to an interesting paper if anyone's feeling like some gripping reading  :lol:
Postulated mechanism of toxicity

Just brought this back up again because of some new imformation.

Recent research

Many of you know that Collies must not be administered Ivermectin as it can cause serious troubles and even death. Recent research findings from Germany and the United Stated show that a genetic defect is the cause of this oversensitiveness and that more drugs can cause troubles. Read this summary by Raymonde Bergmann

Important information: Genetic defect in Collies can cause oversensitiveness to drugs:

Ivermectin sensitiveness is connected to a genetic defect of the blood brain barrier.

Already in the 80ties, it was reported that Collies showed neurotoxic effects after administration of Ivermectin.

In the past a few breeders lost many of their dogs because not all vets were aware of the toxic effects this medication could have in Collies.

Recently scientists in Germany and in the United States discovered a genetic defect causing this over sensitiveness. The defect concerns the Multidrugresistance-1, short MDR-1 transporter.

The MDR-1 transporter is located on surface from the liver, kidney, intestine and brain cells. It is responsible for the transport of certain molecules. Scientists discovered it on cancer cells that showed resistance against several chemotherapies.

On the border between blood vessels and nerve tissue the MDR-1 transporter puts up a defense barrier for the brain which is a part of the blood-brain-barrier. The MDR -1 transporter usually is located on the surface of the Endothelial cells , which cover the inside walls of the blood vessels.

When all is working properly in this area the MDR - 1 transporter insures that no toxic substances like Ivermectin can penetrate into the nerve tissue. In case of a genetic defect in MDR - 1 this protection function gets lost and toxic substances can enter straight into the nerve tissue in high concentrations. Such a defect of the blood brain barrier is causing in affected dogs strong neurotoxic side effects after administration of Ivermectin.

They suffer from troubles in coordination and movements, trembling, dizziness, their pupils are enlarged, there is more salivation and it can come to death. Nowadays it is also known that there are several more medications that can cause troubles in affected Collies and can enter the brain at a rate 90 times higher as on those animals with a sound blood brain barrier. Here is a list compiled from the findings of the University of Giessen and from the American Scientist Mark Neff.

Worming medications

Ivermectin

Selamectin

Moxidectin

Cardiac drugs

Digoxin

Quinidine

Gastro-intestinal drugs

Loperamid

Domperidon

Immuno-suppressants

Cyclosporin A

Tacrolimus

Steroids

Dexamethasone

Hydrocortisone

Anti-Cancer agents

Vincristine

Vinblastine

Doxorubicine

Narcotics

Ondansetron

Antimicrobial agents

Erythromycin

Grepafloxacin

In UK they found that Immodium contains also small doses of Ivermectin and from Holland the news reached us that a new worming medication named Verminthel (containing Abamectine) caused also death to one Collie and one Sheltie.

At the moment it is believed that the defect is transmitted in a recessive way. The defect can be tested with a blood sample. That way it can be determined if your dog has the defective gene or if he is a carrier or if he is free from this defect. Certain reports show that probably also Bearded Collies, Border Collies, Old English Sheepdogs, Shetland Sheepdogs and Australian Shepherds are affected.

You can read the full publication of the Veterinary Genetics Laboratory, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of California.

By Raymonde Bergmann, August 21st 2004

Very interesting but extremely worrying :( - I shall be keeping my eyes peeled for more info on this.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back