The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join and Discover the Best Things to do with your Dog

Welcome to Our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Pancreatitis

Discussion in 'Hound' started by prworksnow, Jun 25, 2012.

1. prworksnow

prworksnow New Member Registered

Our 5 year old whippet Fergal has recently recovered from acute pancreatitis, an illness that first showed as lameness, then high temperature, severe weight loss, lassitude and nearly killed him. Thankfully, £2000 later (thank you Animal Friends Insurance) he is back to normal but has to have a low fat diet. We have always fed James Wellbeloved Ocean Fish & Rice but the Vet has put him on Royal Canin Gastro Intestinal Low Fat. This is OK but he poos much more eating this food and is always hungry, exceeding the daily dietary recommendation for his weight (335g) by 100 gs or more plus eating a poached chicken breast a day! It's also not very good at replacing the weight he lost.

Does anyone have any experience of pancreatitis in dogs and a recommendation for a low fat food?

Hope to hear from you.

Christopher

2. whippetsrus

whippetsrus Active Member Partner Registered

I've sent you a PM.

3. Happy Humber

Happy Humber New Member Registered

Hi,

My old boy had a boute last December and now has Hills id diet which I assume is much the same as the RC.

They need to have low fat so as not to put any strain on the pancreas, but I aslo give him tinned chappie and this works fine, as its low fat, easy to get a hold of, and inexpensive.

His coat has never been better!