The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Patio peeing

Emmaloulou1988

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hello,

My partner and I are planning on getting a puppy in the Summer (probably a cavapoo or similar.) We have a large ground floor apartment with a patio area outside. The only problem is that there is no grass, just patio.

I have been looking into getting something like a 'Porch Potty' but wondered if anyone knew anything about these - are they good or a waste of money? Would the dog happily do his business on the patio and, if so, what is the best way to combat smells?

There are lots of parks near to where we live but obviously we don't want to take him there every time he needs the loo! Or, would anyone recommend making your own 'porch potty'? The last option is to take up some of the patio and have a small turfed area.

Any advice would be great thanks!

My dog goes on the patio as we don't let him on the grass as he is a little devil and likes to dig it up.

We bought a hard bristled brush from B&Q and just some bleach and give it a good scrub once a week, to stop anything sticking to the patio or any smells.

He has his moments where if the patio is wet he wont go to the toilet but that's just my dog being weird haha!

Personally I would say that you shouldn't have any problem. If you start your pup on the patio right from day one then that is what they will be used to and wont know any different.

Sophie x

Bitches are sometimes reluctant to use non absorbent surfaces. Some dogs will be like this too. The pee may run on to their feet rather than soak into the ground. As housetraining is hard enough without having a dog that does not like the loo surface, I would try to lay some sort of absorbent surface like turf or gravel.

The best thing for cleaning up wee and poo is - a 10% solution of biological detergent - wash - rinse - dry. Then scrub with some sort of spirit like distilled vinegar or surgical spirit. The last bit should not be necessary outside. The formula is meant for removing all scent detectable by a dog and is used to deter over marking indoors.

One of my friends had a dog loo made up from an old shower tray with a soakaway of pebbles and deep gravelly soil underneath and her beagle was trained to do all of his business in there, which made poop pick up really easy and also meant that rinsing it all down with pet safe disinfectant and odour killer was really simple too, and that spared the rest of the garden of that delightful doggy aroma and burned patches.

Whatever you're going to do, start from day one with that being the place to go, but you do need to understand that if you make that the only place that the pup is allowed to go, then you may have problems with them not wanting to go to the loo while you're out on a walk, instead choosing to hang on until they're home again to use the right place.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back