The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Paw pad cut a few weeks ago. Dog obsessively licking it.

Louise_Yorkshire

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi folks,

My boy Murphy cut one of his pads on what I think was a piece of glass whilst out on his walk (it was late in the evening so too dark to see).

There was a bit of limping and a trickle of blood that stopped once I wiped it with a cotton pad. I couldn't see anything in the cut. For the next few days, I cleaned it with salt water.

It's been 4 weeks and it looks crusty (photo attached). He still nibbles and licks the area. I don't know if it's just because it's healing so it's itchy or perhaps something I should be worried about. Any advice?

upload_2021-6-9_11-8-38.png

Attachments

• upload_2021-6-9_11-8-38.jpeg
    upload_2021-6-9_11-8-38.jpeg
    46.2 KB · Views: 130
I'm not an expert, but I would see the vet. There could be an underlying infection.

It comes down to what YOU think... if cleaned correctly normally that is enough as pads can't be stitched and it looks like it is healing, however it is secondary infection that could potentially be a concern, so is the pad hot ( not easy to tell when the weather is warm) but compare it to his other feet...it should be 'warm' ( but not hot) as that means blood is getting to it and the process of healing is taking place, hot means inflammation and potentially infection.
Again healing itches so he is likely to lick it but that can cause a secondary infection.
Salt water bath, dry and Aloe Vera or Aqueous cream ( both are dog friendly even if they are licked off) both will help healing and stop it drying out and cracking.... keep doing it daily and keep checking it

There might be a fragment of glass still in the pad, so a vet check would be useful.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back