The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Pawing at water bowl.

Stamford

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
My 12 yr old cocker spaniel who I think has dementia has started going to her water bowl and frantically with both paws, likes she's digging paws out all the water. She is constantly soaking the floor. I have now resorted to only putting small amounts of water in the bowl. But she keeps doing it. Why ?

Just a guess, but water distorts what you see, maybe it's to do with that, or reflection?

With dementia, it's often just not possible to understand the 'why' - humans with dementia also do a lot of inexplicable things too, and repetitive behaviour is common. Digging is a natural behaviour, and plenty of younger dogs dig just for the sake of it, so it's more likely to appear as an 'inappropriate' habit in dementia. You could try different types of water bowl, or maybe putting the bowl on a large towel.

Maybe just the distorted view worries her or confuses her? As I said, just guessing really.

With dementia, it's often just not possible to understand the 'why' - humans with dementia also do a lot of inexplicable things too, and repetitive behaviour is common. Digging is a natural behaviour, and plenty of younger dogs dig just for the sake of it, so it's more likely to appear as an 'inappropriate' habit in dementia. You could try different types of water bowl, or maybe putting the bowl on a large towel.
I might try a rubber bowl whic might stick to the floor !

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Road-Refre...s&qid=1637494491&sprefix=non+spill+water+bowl
Have a look at these on Amazon, if you scroll down there's a variety of different no spill water bowls that may help.
But as said above, with dementia it is really difficult, so just the change in bowl may in it's self present a different problem...
I bought her this. It's higher and supppsed to be easier for arthritic older dogs. She seems to like it at
The moment and I don't think she will be able to tip this over. Who knows !

Attachments

• A6B2D7F8-388F-4A57-B1A4-65CC37D3C026.jpeg
    A6B2D7F8-388F-4A57-B1A4-65CC37D3C026.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 122
Do you get the impression that she enjoys pawing the water, or does it seem more of a compulsion? If it's a fun new game, then you might want to try to manage the mess rather than prevent it happening.

Though if someone who knows more about dementia than I do thinks this is a bad idea, ignore me....

Do you get the impression that she enjoys pawing the water, or does it seem more of a compulsion? If it's a fun new game, then you might want to try to manage the mess rather than prevent it happening.

Though if someone who knows more about dementia than I do thinks this is a bad idea, ignore me....
She is almost like a naughty child. I say no firmly. She just looks at me. Then does it again. I think she enjoys doing it.

I have a 14 year old dog could have a touch of dementia when he gets a of bit stress I put some newspaper down and he rips it apart then settles down. how big are the bowls.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back