The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Pedigree Dogs Exposed

doglover123

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
After watching this programme I am disgusted to see what is happening to people's pets and I hope the BBC and the Goverment take radical action. I hope the people that buys these dogs sue the breeders!!!

I HOPE THAT THIS IS THE END TO CRUFTS!!!

I feel so sorry for these helpless animals they look deformed, dogs are supposed to look like wolves not aliens!

:rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant:

doglover123 said:
After watching this programme I am disgusted to see what is happening to people's pets and I hope the BBC and the Goverment take radical action. I hope the people that buys these dogs sue the breeders!!!
I HOPE THAT THIS IS THE END TO CRUFTS!!!

I feel so sorry for these helpless animals they look deformed, dogs are supposed to look like wolves not aliens!

:rant:   :rant:   :rant:   :rant:   :rant:   :rant:

I don't want my whippets to look like wolves thank you very much!

There are already two threads on this on here.

i mean dogs but they originated from wolves thats all i meant

Last edited by a moderator:
Much as I was horrified by what I saw last night, I have to say that there are, in whippets anyway, many beautiful examples of the breed exhibited at Crufts. Not only conforming to breed standard, but also healthy and of excellent temperament.

Not everyone, thank God, is like those shown on this programme.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even I was disgusted by the programme

....but I still believe there are good breeders out there who have the well being of their dogs at heart... :thumbsup:

rls22 said:
Much as I was horrified by what I saw last night, I have to say that there are, in whippets anyway, many beautiful examples of the breed exhibited at Crufts.  Not only conforming to breed standard, but also healthy and of excellent temperament.

A DIFFERENT VIEW. A man-written breed standard is NONSENSE - only God can determin what a creature, including us, should look like. The silly and frivolous persuit of perfection in dogs and dog showing is, in my opinion, as outdated as the Miss World contest and should be banned - Not least for the resons outlined in last nights tv programme, Pedigree Dogs Exposed.

Whippets have NOT escaped man's interference either! Show Whippets are MUCH bigger than any of their ancesters and could not, for example, hold their own against a coursing or race Whippet. And as we all know, the Kennel Club had to recently change the Whippet Breed Standard again to accomodate for this human intervention in the breed.

When will we learn to leave well alone.

SilverScreen said:
rls22 said:
Much as I was horrified by what I saw last night, I have to say that there are, in whippets anyway, many beautiful examples of the breed exhibited at Crufts.  Not only conforming to breed standard, but also healthy and of excellent temperament.

A DIFFERENT VIEW. A man-written breed standard is NONSENSE - only God can determin what a creature, including us, should look like. The silly and frivolous persuit of perfection in dogs and dog showing is, in my opinion, as outdated as the Miss World contest and should be banned - Not least for the resons outlined in last nights tv programme, Pedigree Dogs Exposed.

Whippets have NOT escaped man's interference either! Show Whippets are MUCH bigger than any of their ancesters and could not, for example, hold their own against a coursing or race Whippet. And as we all know, the Kennel Club had to recently change the Whippet Breed Standard again to accomodate for this human intervention in the breed.

Just out of interest... What size are the show whips compared to the others?

Emma xxx

em21 said:
SilverScreen said:
rls22 said:

Just out of interest... What size are the show whips compared to the others?

Emma xxx

Good point, and they are getting bigger! It is a bitter pill to swallow, but the show whippet has evolved as a very different creature from those originally exhibited in the ring. We DO have different types despite the vociferous few breeders who claim to breed an all-rounder. I hope this programme was a wake-up call to all pedigree breeders. It only takes a few years to change a "type". I have a pedigree Persian cat who snores due to a severe snub nose, she is a reject due to her face not being flat enough!!!!!!!!!

I truly hope we can adopt a more liberal approach to breeding pedigree animals, God only knows what the show rings will look like in 20 years otherwise :(

If a breed standard is nonsense, than why worry about the different size of whippets? :wacko:

T Hoare said:
It is not just show people who breed dogs.
Yes :thumbsup:

There are SOME big whippets that are shown, SOME BIG whippets that are worked and SOME small whippets that are raced :- "

But of course it is only show people that are breeding them not true to type :- "

T Hoare said:
Good point Tracey, I am getting fed up of "show" people getting slagged off. Do you all honestly think we go out and deliberately breed from unsound dogs?

God has nothing to do with dog breeding, if that was so, why have some dogs got problems, why hasn't God intervened to prevent all the inherited problems?

Nicola said:
If a breed standard is nonsense, than why worry about the different size of whippets? :wacko:

?? So is the breed standard whippet bigger? Is that why show whippets are bigger?? Why do they want them to be bigger?? I don't understand why there should be a breed standard anyway, we don't have ones for humans?

Emma xxx

~JO~ said:
T Hoare said:

There are SOME big whippets that are shown, SOME BIG whippets that are worked and SOME small whippets that are raced :- "

But of course it is only show people that are breeding them not true to type :- "

Actually, whether you prefer the show type or the race type, MOST of the time they are just DOGS. As DOGS they should be able to run around, breathe freely, enjoy life, and live a good quality of life. My show breds all fulfil that criteria, the ones in "pet" homes ( wonderful, fabulous homes and much valued by me) are great family members. THAT is what is important and what is so great about our breed whichever discipline you prefer.

SilverScreen said:
A DIFFERENT VIEW. A man-written breed standard is NONSENSE - only God can determin what a creature, including us, should look like.  The silly and frivolous persuit of perfection in dogs and dog showing is, in my opinion, as outdated as the Miss World contest and should be banned - Not least for the resons outlined in last nights tv programme, Pedigree Dogs Exposed.
Whippets have NOT escaped man's interference either!  Show Whippets are MUCH bigger than any of their ancesters and could not, for example, hold their own against a coursing or race Whippet. And as we all know, the Kennel Club had to recently change the Whippet Breed Standard again to accomodate for this human intervention in the breed.

An alternative different view - every dog in this country has had human intervention, even coursing and racing whippets, so where does the 'leaving well alone' start?

Every single dog in this country is an artifically created animal

Juley said:
~JO~ said:
T Hoare said:

Actually, whether you prefer the show type or the race type, MOST of the time they are just DOGS. As DOGS they should be able to run around, breathe freely, enjoy life, and live a good quality of life. My show breds all fulfil that criteria, the ones in "pet" homes ( wonderful, fabulous homes and much valued by me) are great family members. THAT is what is important and what is so great about our breed whichever discipline you prefer.

I refer to dogs in general, not Whippets inparticular. Puppies from 2 dogs of the same breed can have problems wether KC reg or not.

Juley said:
~JO~ said:
T Hoare said:

Yes that is very true Juley and a very good post and one thing I think all of us that care for our dogs have in common

Juley said:
As DOGS they should be able to run around, breathe freely, enjoy life, and live a good quality of life.  My show breds all fulfil that criteria, the ones in "pet" homes ( wonderful, fabulous homes and much valued by me) are great family members.  THAT is what is important and what is so great about our breed whichever discipline you prefer.

Well put - it's so sad that some breeds have been changed so much that they cannot live a pain free, active life. :(

I,m not interested in fighting with any-one, I own a racing-bred and a show-bred. I race my show-bred as he loves it, but he is the slowest dog on the track despite my struggle to get him down below the top limit of 32 lb. He chases bunnies and once caught a squirrel that ran into his mouth :- " The instinct is still there but I think ability has been diluted through breeding for show purpose. My racing bred is skinny with a gay tail and would be laughed out of a ring. He is a fab racer and catches rabbits in the field. He is like the paintings you see in Stately homes, old whippet type, used in the field. My boys couldn't be more different, I love them both, but they are like different breeds :(

I race and show my dog, he is competing and winning at club level, and getting placed at Ch shows!

His sire is a well known champion and his dam is an unknown bitch with what today could be called old fashioned lines well known lines. He is nothing really like his sire, he and the rest of the litter have taken after their dam.

It is very interesting that the racing friends I have think he is a good racing dog. In the right hands he could have been a good working dog.

So, it all seems to depend on what is behind them that makes them dual purpose!

I to have raced 'slow' show dogs, with this one I hope he goes on winning in both fields.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back