The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Peggy

lou_s

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Hi

I apologise for the long post but please please read 🙏

This is not the introduction I would have ever wanted to make. Just over a month ago, my home was deliberately set on fire by someone I trusted while I took a nap.

Luckily my neighbours managed to wake me up but by this time the house was completely filled with smoke, I was unable to get my beautiful Peggy out and had to make the hardest decision of my life to get out and put her in the hands of the firefighters. They went in and got her almost immediately, by now the fire was spreading fast through the house, and the paramedics worked so hard on her to bring her back to me, but it was just too late. She was overcome with the smoke.

The pain I feel at losing my girl in this way is unbearable, she was my best friend, my absolute world. She was the most beautiful, gentle, kind soul, everyone who knew her or met her fell in love with her, I will never recover from this. I lost everything but I would lose everything all over again and everyday to have Peggy back.

But i want something positive to come out from this horrific act so Peggy’s life was not lost in vain. A legacy for her that will help other people and their beloved pets that may ever be in a similar situation in the future.

Under current UK law, pets are considered property in incident such as the one I experienced. This means that if they are harmed or killed their lives hold no more value than a bookcase or a sofa. There is no separate charge for their suffering. In a nutshell they are classified as much as an inanimate object, not the living breathing sentient beings they are. We want a change in the law to better reflect the deep emotional connection people have with their pets and offer stronger protections for animals when they are harmed during criminal acts.

By changing the law to recognise animals as sentient beings, we are calling for harsher penalties that reflect the emotional and physical harm done. Offenders should face consequences that truly acknowledge the seriousness of taking or harming a living, feeling being.

We have started a petition to as part of our campaign to fight for change. I can’t post a link as this is my first post, but will share the details here:

Search on Change.org :

Support in Advocating Legal Change To Animals As Property After Arson Incident​

if you agree with us that this is a law that MUST be changed, please, please sign our petition and share far and wide 🙏

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Louise

IMG_8520.jpeg
IMG_8550.jpeg
IMG_8552.jpeg
IMG_8553.jpeg
IMG_8556.jpeg
IMG_8555.jpeg

IMG_8546.jpeg

I'm so very sorry that this has happened - it must be utterly devastating for you. I've signed the petition and shared it on Facebook.

Here's the link: Sign the Petition

What a heartbreaking thing to have happened. I also have signed.

Devastating, I am so sorry for your loss... also signed x

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back